In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Administration is renaming Mount McKinley

Gunners762Gunners762 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Administration is renaming Alaska's Mount McKinley http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/obama-to-rename-nations-highest-mountain/ar-AAdLF9D?ocid=HPCDHP [}:)]

Obama renames nation's highest mountain ! Broke Back Mountain ?

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since they are renaming it back to what it used to be called instead of for a "president" that was in office for 6 months. I could care less....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I heard the mountain referred in name both ways. It was briefly called Densmores Mountain in the late 1880s early 1890s.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Denai is what it has always been,as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This is just another example of Obama disrespecting his Republican predecessors.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barakus Obamus has an "outreach" to everyone it seems.
    The only ones he doesn't reach out to are the producers and taxpayers who fund his entitlement culture.[V]
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice to see I agree with Obama on one thing.

It has always been Denali and it should have never been renamed McKinley

This is so obvious even Obama could get this one right
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capt.

While I'm not that invested in the name one way or the other, you might look into Woodrow Wilson's term in office.

KC
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a gold prospector took it upon himself in 1896 to name it Mt McKinley in honor of the Pres. then began to drum up support for it. Wilson signed legislation in 1917 to name an alaskan mountain known as Denali in 7 languages after an OHIO president. strange that its Denali National Park with an OHIO name as its prominent point.[wikipedia]....to me the Alaskans want this by a 90% approval rating i've seen, so its a state's rights issue, correcting an action of an oppressive federal government.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locals call it Denali and have been pushing for 40 years to change it. I have no kick.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no issue with that. Alaskan citizens and government have been trying to get that done for my whole lifetime.

No matter what the maps say, they will refer to it as Denali, anyway.

We have a million things to be pissed at Obama for, but don't sweat the unimportant stuff.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't disagree with the name change, I do however, take offense (once again) with Barry's methods. If there is a situation where king obama can circumvent protocol and and legal procedure he will jump on it in a heart beat.

I still have a hard time believing that the nation would impeach Bill Clinton for getting a * but this enemy of our country can do whatever he pleases (legal or not) and the word empeach is never spoken.

We are truly a nation of sheep. [V][V][V][V]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a rename of the white house is in order
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

I don't disagree with the name change, I do however, take offense (once again) with Barry's methods. If there is a situation where king obama can circumvent protocol and and legal procedure he will jump on it in a heart beat.

I still have a hard time believing that the nation would impeach Bill Clinton for getting a * but this enemy of our country can do whatever he pleases (legal or not) and the word empeach is never spoken.

We are truly a nation of sheep. [V][V][V][V]

Impeach.

If you want things done, you have to be a vocal pain in the *. That is how all the fringe elements are getting attention.

Of course, it would help if the media would cooperate.....good luck with that.

As for Obama, we are just going to have to ride out the rest of his presidency.

More importantly, get conservative people to get active in politics. Make our voices heard.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    CAN YOU HERE ME NOW..
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    a rename of the white house is in order

its been redefined as public housing since 09 [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the 2 Republican senators from Alaskan has been pushing for this for years.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Denali means "the great one" I am surprised he didn't name the mountain "Obama".
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Just be glad he didn't name it Rock O'bama, B Rock Allah'bama, or just plain Mt Allah as a secondary direction for prayer for those unable to determine which direction Mecca is.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    As a comprise, they could name a mountain in Ohio after President McKinley.
    Oh, that's right, there aren't any.[8D]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like the mountain had a name.

The name was changed for no real reason.

The folks that spend the most time on or around the mountain liked the old name and wanted it officially returned to the old name, and now that has been done.

Probably the right thing to do unless one suffers from Obama derangement syndrome to the extent that each and every thing he does is wrong, even if you agreed with it when someone else did it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with the name change. In fact it might be a good thing, but since Obama did it I know there has to be a fly in the ointment somewhere. I just haven't found it yet.

I was more upset when Johnson renamed Cape Canaveral Cape Kennedy.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just read that some groups are pushing to have crucifixes removed from cemeteries that get public money or maintained by the state. Many groups all ready managed to rename many parks, schools and buildings, statues , monuments, graveyard memorials, nameplate, plaques, historic flag displays, schools, street, bridge, honoring historic figures or advents that they deem caused some kind of injustice. Its happening all over this country. I don't think they'll stop until Anglo-American history is wiped clean. I really think all this is just the tip of the ice berg to things to come..
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I remember when I was in junior high school there was a big ta-doo about changing Cape Kennedy's name back to Cape Canaveral, which was what it had always been called. Apparently no one in Florida, which was then a rock solid Democratic state, liked the name Cape Kennedy and eventually it was changed back.

I'll ask a dumb question: Who or what agency is actually charged with naming things like lakes, mountains, and rivers? Is the Department of the Interior in charge of this sort of thing? Suppose a group in Utah doesn't like the Colorado River being named after the State of Colorado and want the named changed to the Southwestern River. Maybe a bunch of people in Milwaukee want that big * lake sitting next door to them called Lake Wisconsin instead of Lake Michigan.

What do you do to change these names?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess we'll find out when they rename the hoover dam to Cesar Chavez dam [:0]

Chinese-Propaganda-3.jpg
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunners762
    I guess we'll find out when they rename the hoover dam to Cesar Chavez dam [:0]

Chinese-Propaganda-3.jpg

It was constructed and dedicated as Boulder Dam and was re-named Hoover Dam in 1947.

Odds are if anything it would go back to Boulder Dam.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It seems that the Secretary of the Interior can make these changes:

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.opengov.ibmcloud.com/files/press-release/Denali Name Change.pdf

How does an unelected bureaucrat have the authority to change the names of landmarks inside a state? The mountain is in Alaska so why does that state have to request a name change? It's their mountain...Just change it!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least they didn't call it Mount Treyvon or Mt. obama or after some other pile of garbage.

Is GM going to change the name of the Denali to the McKinley now?
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    There is something very wrong when a state (legislature) has to go hat in hand to Washington DC and ask to have their mountain renamed. The fact that it took over forty years for the feds to actually do anything about it speaks volumes for how little regard the federal government actually has for the individual states. [:(]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I don't have a problem with the name change. In fact it might be a good thing, but since Obama did it I know there has to be a fly in the ointment somewhere. I just haven't found it yet.

I was more upset when Johnson renamed Cape Canaveral Cape Kennedy.

Ahhh well might I suggest that he intends to change the name of some other landmark, something much more sensitive to the American people, and is using this as an opportunity to set a precedent.

You are wise not to trust him. [;)]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear about next Nov. the President will have a new name.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that he will rename something in honor of Islam.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem with changing the name of a prominent geographic feature is that suddenly millions of maps and charts all over the world are suddenly obsolete.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    in this case it might not matter on the maps since its located in DENALI NATIONAL PARK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    but they are very good at making molehills....quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    As a comprise, they could name a mountain in Ohio after President McKinley.
    Oh, that's right, there aren't any.[8D]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    OLD NAME NEW NAME

McKinley.....................Denali
    Kennedy .....................Canaveral
    Empire State.................Caliphate State
    Golden Gate..................Open Gate
    Rushmore ...................OldWhiteGuys
    Yellowstone..................Brownstone
    WhiteHouse ..................ColoredHouse
    GrandCanyon..................KardashianCrack
    Indiana .....................NativePeopleState
    Alabama .....................Allahbama
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    OLD NAME NEW NAME

McKinley.....................Denali
    Kennedy .....................Canaveral
    Empire State.................Caliphate State
    Golden Gate..................Open Gate
    Rushmore ...................OldWhiteGuys
    Yellowstone..................Brownstone
    WhiteHouse ..................ColoredHouse
    GrandCanyon..................KardashianCrack
    Indiana .....................NativePeopleState
    Alabama .....................Allahbama

You forgot one.
    New Jersey.................Chit hole
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when will HIS head be carved upon HIS newly named mountain
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And this idiot cannot name islamic terroists for what they are?
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Since they are renaming it back to what it used to be called instead of for a "president" that was in office for 6 months. I could care less....

Respectfully sir, 6 months would refer to his second term before he was assassinated, which one could argue equated to a president who gave his life for his country.

He had about the same understanding of economics as Obama, and I agree with others, if that's what the locals call the mountain, so be it.

William Henry Harrison was our shortest serving President, he died after about a month in office. Though the shortest time in office he did have the longest inauguration speech of any president.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was re-named by the Department of the Interior. Because it is in a national park they have the authority to name or re-name it.