In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hatfields and McCoys

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Part 2 of 3 on history channel now
    I am think it's a good acct
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who's watching and what do you think so far?

I'm not an expert on the history of the feud but I've never read anything that says Anse Hatfield and Randal McCoy were in the same civil war unit
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On History Channel (Directv 269)
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow. Reap what you sow.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watched Part 1 tonight with the wife have Part2 scheduled for the DVR tonight as well as Part3. Pretty good so far.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am enjoying it...
  • Options
    JohnTJohnT Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Historically more accurate than any tinseltown effort to date. I had kinfolks in and around Eastern Kentucky from Pike to Harlan counties who were on hand to see some of that drama and knew a few members of the extended families. Those people were completely serious about a blood feud, and many carried it to their graves.

My grandfather's brother lived in the Tug Fork area on the Kentucky side of the river within a day's walk of the Hatfield and McCoy properties. Don't scoff. In those hills, a day's walk was about 10 statute miles. It took a while.

Reports from people who were there say that the feud actually continued well into the 30s...but mostly fistfights and the occasional non-lethal knifing...and you could get a fight started by simply voicing an opinion on who was in the right/wrong, depending on which side you took and who happened to overhear it.

For those who are interested in Appalachian history, there was another smaller, lesser-known feud that began in the 1890s and culminated in the Hillsville Courthouse tragedy in Carroll County Virginia, near the North Carolina border. You can get into a fight to this day in Carroll County by taking the wrong side...again, depending on which side you take and who's listening. I'm acquainted with a few members of the descendants of the Allen clan, and some of them still harbor ill will a hundred years after the incident. "Carrying a grudge" is redefined in Appalachia.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second half played out out to me as a Redneck "Romeo and Juliet".
  • Options
    JohnTJohnT Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They ain't rednecks.

Here's a "smatterin" of Mountain talk. Ain't been in them hills in quite a spell, but I knows just 'zactly what they's sayin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXghKHHzlXQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Second half played out out to me as a Redneck "Romeo and Juliet".

The media at the time tried to play it out exactly like that.