In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

planning a road trip

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited July 2003 in General Discussion
i'm starting to plan a road trip,ive drove across country from northcarolina to oregon 4 x saw alot of the country ive been up and down the east coast,ive drove from n.c. to michigan a couple times also,ive been to almost every state in the us.so i want to plan a road trip from here in oregon to alaska,it's just gonna be me the dog and my truck,leaving the girlfreind at home,i want to fish all the way up to alaska,when i get to alaska i want to do some hunting up there,any recomendations on any site seeing in canada and alaska?
and do i have to have obtain any special permits to bring my firearms across the us canadian border?i planning to be on the road for about 2 and a 1/2 weeks just taking some time off to see the country before i have to move up to seattle for school.

standard.jpgPistol-01.gif
SEMPER FI

Comments

• Options
    spectre7spectre7 Member Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I expect you'll get some posts in a bit about how it's almost impossible to bring firearms into Canada. The laws seem to be quite strict about guns being taken in.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There is a permit process for transiting hunting rifles but you'd better get started on it yesterday. In the long run it would be much easier to ship your firearms to Alaska and have them waiting for your arrival. Banff National Park out side of Calgary, Alberta is one of the most scenic places on earth. Berchtesgaden (Hitler's hang out) on the German/Austrian boder rivals Banff but is not nearly as easy to drive to!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i dont know anybody in alaska to ship them to.and i just dont want to ship them to just anybody who could i ship them to a law enforcement agency?and pick them up when i get to alaska.[?]

standard.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Two methods here: First locate a dealer in the area of Alaska where you will arrive and have him receive and hold your rifles for you (for a fee no doubt). The other method involves careful timing: Find out where the nearest UPS depot is near the area of Alaska where you'll arrive. Ship your rifles to yourself and have them held at the depot for will call by you. The depot will only hold them for 5 days so you've got to be quick. Lots of gun show guys do this rather than haul their firearms across country in the trunk when traveling to a distant show.

Your other option is the permit process to allow your rifles to transit through Canada. This can no doubt be done, but there will be work and fees involved. Any way you look at this you are going to have to do some leg work. GB member aglore is an Alaskan who hunts and is very familiar with all aspects of firearms in Alaska and probably Canada. Put up his name on the topic and I'm sure he will respond with solid advice...it is still early (and the sun is probably still out) back in Alaska right now.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact aglore, 0311marine, maybe he can help (I think he's an FFL01).

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also suggest aglore. I know from some magazine ads that Canada charges $50 Canadian for the permit to enter with a rifle. If you don't care about Canada, maybe you could ferry you the dog and the truck from Seattle to Alaska? Maybe you could fish from the ferry...

My heros have always killed cowboys.