In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interesting family artifacts

MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
Does your family have any objects or documents that are considered especially precious?

Here is one that I found recently. This was a book written by my grandmother (mothers side) during the year she spent in Italy from 1936-37. Its about art during the renaissance period. My mom tells me that this was a project during my grandmother's final year in finishing school.

Its professionally bound, but everything is handwritten and all the photos and glued by hand to the pages. Its quite an impressive work at 188 pages, and it could probably serve as a decent textbook for anyone wanting to learn about art during this period.

The non-descript cover:
IMG_0466.jpg

The spine:
IMG_0471.jpg

The first page:
IMG_0470.jpg

Some of the pages with photos (many are actually postcards):
IMG_0468.jpg

End of the book (complete with a meticulously-drawn "FINIS"):
IMG_0477.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hisbigbootygirlhisbigbootygirl Member Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, that's pretty cool! i don't have any documents but i have some really really old pictures i could post. my grandmother's family moved here from germany and settled what is now new braunsfelds, texas.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hisbigbootygirl
    wow, that's pretty cool! i don't have any documents but i have some really really old pictures i could post. my grandmother's family moved here from germany and settled what is now new braunsfelds, texas.

Same here, my grandfather's family moved to New York and Jew Jersey from Sicily. Most of our distant relatives are still there, we've migrated to the Indiana, Northern Kentucky area. Some are also down in the Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete area.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Cubs, now when i see someone driving a car with a Cubs sticker on it, im automatically going to assume their related to you.[:D]
  • Options
    Jeepgod2002Jeepgod2002 Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grandfather was a POW in WWII. While prisoner of war he traded a British soldier a pack of cigarettes for a log book. Grandpa kept journal entries and drew pictures in this book. Very precious in my family, heres a few of my favorites:

0-0.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-5.jpg

10-10.jpg

6-6.jpg

2-2.jpg

9-9.jpg
  • Options
    riderrider Member Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an old bible that has been in the family at least since before the 1860s. My great grandmother commented how her mother carried it through the Civil War in Missouri. Entrys in the family page begin with my great great grandparent's marriage in Missouri in 1797......The Bible is old and falling apart. It has been hand bound and repaired many, many times by by ancestors and I keep it wrapped and kept in the safe. The first few pages are missing so I can't tell when it was actually printed........
    rider

Bible1.jpg
    bible.jpg
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I`ve got my grandfathers trapdoor 45/70 from the Spanish American war.I also have his mess kit ,hat, cartridge belt,and a little wooden box of hard tack fron the war. Also all of my mothere and fathers letters to each other from WWII and dads war trunk full of military stuff. Junk to some,family treasure to me.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a walking stick carved by one of my great grandfather's slaves. Appropriately, it has an Alligator carved on it.

Great granddad bought a farm in another county and gave it to his freed slaves. That county, Calloway, seceeded from the union at the beginning of the Civil War and declared itself a Kingdom. That was not resolved until the end of the war, and I gather he sent a couple of his sons to live with the former slaves and avoid the conscriptors. The cane has to be at least 147 years old and looks like new, it has always been treasured and never used. I am the last of the line and thinking of returning it to the decendants of the man who carved it. Some still live on the family farm.