In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

snake

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Found this guy on my way to one of my groundhog spots. He didn't want to be moved off that warm road and struck at me a couple time when I scooted him with a branch[:)]. I got him off the road and went on my way.

snake1_zps997f3cc9.jpg

snake2_zpsc003d00d.jpg

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    my wife hates snakes not to the point of hurting them but is scared of them . where we live there as scarce as hens teeth
    but a few years( maybe 5 ) back my son brought a car in to part out from my wife's moms house which was garter and black snake central .
    we found it had a couple hitch hikers , and I carted off several snakes to keep peace .
    one eluded me is my guess , last year we found it by the garden but she agreed to release it in the back around a rock pile . she has got more snake friendly to a point .
    today she shouted at me "snake" she has a small decorator pond she made a few years ago
    in the spring the toads and tree frogs love it, we hear them calling all night ,, any way I am sure its the same garter snake just bigger was visiting for dinner it was
    sunning on a rock but she wanted no part of it
    so I went looking found it headed back to the back yard ?
    it was just over two feet long and about as round as a half dollar
    I am sure its the same snake I moved last year and told her the small pond is a dinner bell for it with all the toads and tadpoles
    so I took it back to the rock pile but of course being a garter snake ,
    I received the customary "skunking" of its defense system
    smells terrible if you have never had the pleasure and also has there "poop" mixed in for good measure and nasty stuff for bacteria
    so I saved the day for the wife and snake . at the expense of smelling like snake crap [B)]
    I then went to the house to wash up and change shirts and the dogs ran up give me a good once over smell and then the looks like WTH have you been doing [:D][:D] you smell terrible [:D][:D]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    my wife hates snakes not to the point of hurting them but is scared of them . where we live there as scarce as hens teeth
    but a few years( maybe 5 ) back my son brought a car in to part out from my wife's moms house which was garter and black snake central .
    we found it had a couple hitch hikers , and I carted off several snakes to keep peace .
    one eluded me is my guess , last year we found it by the garden but she agreed to release it in the back around a rock pile . she has got more snake friendly to a point .
    today she shouted at me "snake" she has a small decorator pond she made a few years ago
    in the spring the toads and tree frogs love it, we hear them calling all night ,, any way I am sure its the same garter snake just bigger was visiting for dinner it was
    sunning on a rock but she wanted no part of it
    so I went looking found it headed back to the back yard ?
    it was just over two feet long and about as round as a half dollar
    I am sure its the same snake I moved last year and told her the small pond is a dinner bell for it with all the toads and tadpoles
    so I took it back to the rock pile but of course being a garter snake ,
    I received the customary "skunking" of its defense system
    smells terrible if you have never had the pleasure and also has there "poop" mixed in for good measure and nasty stuff for bacteria
    so I saved the day for the wife and snake . at the expense of smelling like snake crap [B)]
    I then went to the house to wash up and change shirts and the dogs ran up give me a good once over smell and then the looks like WTH have you been doing [:D][:D] you smell terrible [:D][:D]

This story really stinks!
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    [:D] My Bassett Hound "Ole Bessy" would just love to find your stinky snake and roll on it!

She seems to think that rolling around on puke inducing, gut wrenching, gag a maggot, gross stuff makes her smell like a queen![:0]

Must be a French thing![:I]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think of it this way: When you take a snake and haul it off down the road, you have created a hole where that snake used to hunt. Some other snake is bound to figure out there are minnows, frogs, tadpoles, lizards and mice going to waste, and he will surely move right in. Doesn't have to be the same snake (though if you move them less than a kilometer or so, it may well be. Nature abhors a vacuum, right? She fills it with snakes.

Also consider, when you take that snake down the road, and put it out in a likely looking spot, you have probably just put it into an area that already had all the snakes it could feed. Now there is one too many. What we know, which is not a great deal, is that the new guy who does not know where to find water, food, and a place or 12 to hide, is likely the one who does not make it.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Think of it this way: When you take a snake and haul it off down the road, you have created a hole where that snake used to hunt. Some other snake is bound to figure out there are minnows, frogs, tadpoles, lizards and mice going to waste, and he will surely move right in. Doesn't have to be the same snake (though if you move them less than a kilometer or so, it may well be. Nature abhors a vacuum, right? She fills it with snakes.

Also consider, when you take that snake down the road, and put it out in a likely looking spot, you have probably just put it into an area that already had all the snakes it could feed. Now there is one too many. What we know, which is not a great deal, is that the new guy who does not know where to find water, food, and a place or 12 to hide, is likely the one who does not make it.

Bravo, my dear man. Bravo
    edited November -1
    I told my wife it would come back to the small pond and she is aware of that
    she just did not want to see it while working in the flower bed at that time
    I only moved it about 200 feet at the most to the same place I released it last year it hangs around the chicken coupe most of the time when I have seen it over time
    I am sure its the same snake and have never seen another for 4 years
    the others ( several years ago) we took them down by the river about one and half miles from us .
    she has a fear of snakes not looking or touching but the effect of not knowing its there and being surprised when it appears

quote:Originally posted by He Dog

• wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snakes and spiders skeve me...

If having chance end them.
    "What is truth?'
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was weed whacking today and a big garter snake shot out of the weeds.
    Not sure who was more startled.
    It was here last year so it has squatters rights.

My neighbor put in a fish pond.
    She was complaining that some of her fish were missing.
    I said maybe that snake was getting them seeing as how he had one then.
    She screamed all the way back to her house.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by acdodd
    I was weed whacking today and a big garter snake shot out of the weeds.
    Not sure who was more startled.
    It was here last year so it has squatters rights.

My neighbor put in a fish pond.
    She was complaining that some of her fish were missing.
    I said maybe that snake was getting them seeing as how he had one then.
    She screamed all the way back to her house.

Snakes were here long before you or your neighbor. They are a little slow and have not figured out the neighborhood is going down hill.