In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SCOPES

toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just kinda kickin around some ideas and wanted your guys and gals opinion on a good varmint scope. I was looking at the Nikon 4.5X14X40 Buckmasters scope and it seemed pretty decent for the price. Any input would be appreciated. I'm looking to get a varmint rifle in the spring and wanted a good piece of glass for the top.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif

Comments

• toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    For the money what is the best scope
    edited November -1
    What is the best scope for a 300 win mag.
    edited November -1
    i have a friend who is as accomplished a hunter as anybody and he contends a $150 scope will perform {under the same conditions} as a $500 scope. he says that a tasco 3x9 or bushnell 3x9 is just as good as a leupold or redield. i thinks he's wrong but tell me why?
    edited November -1
    Went to the ranges yesterday and now
    kind of believe the sight picture:
    clarity and realized magnification is
    better with my busnell 3200 5-15
    than with my leupold 6-18
    edited November -1
    Question: which would you want for a .308 on an AR platform? A Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 by 40 1/10 Mil/Mildot OR

a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 1/8 moa MilDot

Both at Midway in the $300 to $350 range. Can't afford better now.
    edited November -1
    I would like to know the best scope for a S & W 460 mag. I would like a good one but I don't want to spend a ton of cash?? thanks Mike
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yo shooters, has anyone had any good/bad experience with SIGHTRON scopes -Rifle- Thanx[xx(][xx(][xx(][:D] JIMBO

On your mark-get set- go away!!
    edited November -1
    Im geting a new gun here in the next few days [}:)] and it coming with a Leuplod VX-II 9-18 X 40. I dont know much about scopes should I leave it or get some thing else?.... oh and its coming on my ar-50
    edited November -1
    What scope would fit on a Rem. 700 PSS, and how do I know what scope mounts or rings to put on?

I know almost nothing about mounting scopes what parts I need and how to find out what size I need, so I need help.
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've got the 3x9x40 nikon. and i love it!!! i've had it on my 280 rem. for 2 yrs. no problems, and its nice and clear, lets in lots of light. i think you will like it!!!!!

Warroad.gif
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Nice rig Mustang - .280 w/Nikon. I'm thinkin about a Nikon for my Ruger #1B in .280[8D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    toolmaniam, The Nikon BuckMaster 4.5-14 is a good...no great!!! scope for the price!!! I use one on the 17VS and also on Sarah's .260Rem and am about to put one(new one with mil-dots) on a 7mmMag! I've dialed them up, right, left, down and back again and they are accurate as far as adjustments but the real deal is the clarity!!! I took a Pentax Lightseeker, Leupold Vari-X II and the Nikon out and looked at deer at 220 yards at just about dusk(probably was illegal if I'd taken the shot).....the Pentax was undoubtedly the brightest, not much difference using the Nikon but the image was sharper!! I sold the Leupold!!! Check out wholesalehunter on the GB auctions! You can get the 4.5-14 WITH the mil-dots from them for $233.00+shipping! Good luck with the rifle!! GHD
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Nikon Prostaff on my Tikka and It's a very clear and crisp scope, I haven't had it long or had it in rough service, but I'd put it on the equal of a Vari X III Leupold as far as clarity. A scope is an aiming device-nothing less-nothing more and matching the scope to it's intended use is most of the trick. Make sure the reticle you choose fits the purpose.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Mustang completely. I own 6 Nikons and have not had any trouble with them.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Nikon has a great reputation for high quality lenses at affordable prices. I thoroughly checked out binoculars at Cabela's before buying them. Price was not an issue as I was intent on getting the best pair to aid me in my bowhunting. After about an hour of looking at the eye chart on the other side of the room, I bought the $200 dollar Nikon's over many pairs up to $700. They blew them away. This is not MHO. It is a fact.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't shoot varmints, so I don't use scopes in those magnification ranges, but take a look at Burris. Very fine scopes for the money. JustC uses Burris and lately IOR Valdada, and can give you some good insight on both in the varmint scopes.

He Dog