In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Starting Member Posts ...

Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a high number of people making 1st or 2nd posts, even a series of initial posts asking about very rare or totally obscure items.

I have to assume that they are legit, but, lately I've started checking their profiles and many have no more than the minimum. That makes it tempting to just blow them off, but so far I haven't, I do what I can to help with their question(s).

Anyone else notice this trend[?]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Comments

• pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, I noticed too. Let's give "em a chance and be nice till we know what breed they are!![:D][:D]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • The LawThe Law Member Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bee's Choctah!...Wanna dance...[:X]

"Don't mistake my honesty for weakness...
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    A lot of people stumble on this resource by accident, when ask something they have always wanted to know.

I was changing a mailing address with a mortgage company 3000 miles away this afternoon, and mentioned GB somehow. The gal said the guy in the next cubicle tunes in all the time.

I followed the gun prices for a few months, but the forums didn't interest me much. Until I bought something I needed help on. Now I can't get enough info.

I'm at the point where I want to get a P.O.S. 1911 to rip apart and learn to make better. Then watch the questions fly in.

BTW, there are high-profile members who occasionally need help, and would rather not disclose their identity for whatever reason (selling to a colleague who also "tunes in" to GB perhaps, or ego).
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:I have to assume that they are legit, but, lately I've started checking their profiles and many have no more than the minimum. That makes it tempting to just blow them off, but so far I haven't, I do what I can to help with their question(s).

I got started here after watching the auctions for several months. Didn't even see the forum...didn't really care.

Til one day...

I had some * question and thought, hey, I'll ask the experts! Filled in enough info to be able to post. Somebody named JUDGE COLT was very nice and helpful, answering some stupid question he had answered many times before.

Hey, what nice people I thought. People with a common interest. I became a reader, a poster and an addict.

When I get deep and think about it all, I think - YOU GUYS SHOULD RUN ME OFF WHILE YOU HAD THE CHANCE!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

quote:I have to assume that they are legit, but, lately I've started checking their profiles and many have no more than the minimum. That makes it tempting to just blow them off, but so far I haven't, I do what I can to help with their question(s).

I got started here after watching the auctions for several months. Didn't even see the forum...didn't really care.

Til one day...

I had some * question and thought, hey, I'll ask the experts! Filled in enough info to be able to post. Somebody named JUDGE COLT was very nice and helpful, answering some stupid question he had answered many times before.

Hey, what nice people I thought. People with a common interest. I became a reader, a poster and an addict.

When I get deep and think about it all, I think - YOU GUYS SHOULD RUN ME OFF WHILE YOU HAD THE CHANCE!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

Don't think it has'nt crossed my mind.[:D][:D][}:)][:D][:D]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't think it has'nt crossed my mind.

I don't believe I could laugh any harder...[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Oh, wait, let's see, I should say it like all internet cool and stuff...ROFLOL!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a skeptic with anyone online, but I do give a person the benefit of the doubt. My perception sometimes gets formed immediately (and is most of the time correct) about what kind of member the person will be. Unfortunately for me, I don't really notice a lot of members until we have something in common.

I was a voyeur to these forums for a while (maybe even a year) but then I too needed a question answered that I couldn't find by searching old posts.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    I wonder , how many post did you have when you first posted?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I don't remember, but I think I just watched for awhile, and just jumped in.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I wonder , how many post did you have when you first posted?

My congrats - you have just been nominated for rhetorical question of the year! [:D]

• Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, Contender Man I have to appologize for my previous post about you. I did not read your first post on that topic and spoke out of line. I am totally in the wrong here and hope this won't stop us from being able to help eachother in the future, I know I will do what I can. I will totally understand if you want me to refrain from replying to your posts, but I think you are a bigger person than that.
    Now I am the *.

Sorry again,

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
    edited November -1
    I ought to get something. This last week I have been beat up awlful bad.

edited November -1
    I only caught just a portion of that (namely your post). Sorry... It'll all pass. I go for a few weeks here and there where I hardly look at these boards at all then for months at a time I can't get enough of it.
    Maybe we're all having male PMS? [B)]

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    What I really want to hear is more info about different types of guns, what people are buying, how it feels, take down, etc.

I still can't imagine packing a 4.25" BBL .45 in a concealed manner.
    edited November -1
    quote:I ought to get something. This last week I have been beat up awlful bad.

DCON, I got somethin' for yur a**!!

[:D][:D][}:)]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If someone asks a legitimate, if obscure, question and you can help without encouraging illegal activities, what do yo care if they are "legit" or not? If it is BATF and they find out there are friendly and helpful folks here that do not support illegal stuff, is that bad? If they are kids with a yen for full auto or some such silliness is getting correct information bad? If they are trolls and are treated with respect, maybe they will give up being trolls and hang around and contribute. The Law for example has several screen personas, and only the law is kind of a troll, the others are nice and helpful folks. Am I missing something?

He Dog
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I started out looking through gun broker for a year or so and just reading through the forums until one day I decided I wanted to be part of it so got a user name and went from there. I'm really into it now and the little lady makes comments all the time about how much I'm on gunbroker.com
    I know I don't have many posts, but I'm working on that. Anytime I have an opinion on a topic or can provide useful information for someone I charm in.
    I don't want to whine, but why not most everyone else does....I was never welcomed aboard here. I see people with 1 or 2 posts being welcomed into your little family so what's wrong with me???? :)

I still haven't figured out how to insert the quoted messages and insert pictures into replies, could use some help there.
    signed low post Suspension...

PS: gun wise I consider myself a Winchester man, heck I tried to name our dog Winchester, but settled on Gunnar...

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    quote:I was never welcomed aboard here.
    Welcome aboard Suspension![:)] Inserting quotes is easy. see the little icon with a page and red arrow? Hit that and quote /quote in brackets [q][/q] like that, will come up. Copy what you want to quote and paste between. Some one else will have to tell you about photos. They have to be hosted somewhere else and a link provided here. Ask Bambihunter, Classic, or Pabooger for three that post a lot of photos.

Don't recall being welcomed my self, but I did not post a Hi, I'm new thread either. 'Course when I got here, we were writing on cave walls...[}:)]

He Dog
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't recall being welcomed my self, but I did not post a Hi, I'm new thread either. 'Course when I got here, we were writing on cave walls...

Thanks He Dog!!! And welcome to you to (belated) :)

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    From one newbie to another, Welcome abouard Suspension

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks,

Thanks for your input, and the comments have helped me to maintain the conviction to still help regardless of the lack of profile info.

To the question of how many questions did I ask when I first posted, the answer is one![:D] And I got super answers, super quick, but I also completely filled out the profile.

I am a GB affiliate and have been one since they started the program, and I've been a buyer for quite a while too. Matter of fact some of you have sold me stuff or bought something from me.

A few months ago some health issues started piling up on me and I had more "chair" time and after a while I noticed something that I had paid no attention to ... the forums/wanted area. At the time I was trying to get a sight for a Thompson Center Cherokee barrel. Went and registered, put up my post in WTB then started reading the Experts and General areas ... bada bing ... gramps got hooked!

Some of the health problems are resolving theirself and I'm feeling better, but now I like to make time to stay active in the forums.

And ... to MICHAEL ... there are no hard feelings ... just an old dog, young dog thing, you misunderstood something prodded the at the old dog and he growled back. That's life and please if I can ever help you holler at me, but don't "holler" at me[:D]

My reason for posting the topic was that I had piled up a bit of time researching some stuff for new posters and when we reached a point where more info was needed ... they faded, and I noticed that each was someone that had left only the bare minimum in their profile. |So I thought I would ask the question.

Thanks again to all for the reinforcement.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • LeveractionLeveraction Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I am new to the board, found this place about a week ago. I do not post very much, most of the time anything I have to say has already been said.
    edited November -1
    Contender Man I have to admit I don't read the profiles until I have seen someones posts several times, and think "interesting poster, I wonder..." Then I will go look. I think there are a lot of folks, especially over on the experts board that post one time to ask a question and never come back. Their loss. Seems to me, the more the merrier and the greater the resource in knowledge and experience we can all draw on. More jokes too![:p]

He Dog