In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smart Gun Technology ???

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Just what is the "Smart Gun Tech"? Can anyone explain it to me? As I understand, it does not exist yet.

Obama Unveils New Gun Control Plan, Including `Smart Gun' Requirements and More
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama announced new steps Friday to help curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them as well as sharing mental health records with the federal background check system.

Smart guns use various technologies to prevent an accidental shooting or help track down a missing gun.

"These common-sense steps are not going to prevent every tragedy, but what if they prevented even one?" Obama wrote in a Facebook post. "We should be doing everything we can to save lives and spare families the pain and unimaginable loss too many Americans have endured."

In a report released Friday, the Justice and Homeland Security departments said they expect to complete the work of identifying the smart-gun requirements by October.

The Defense Department will continue to help manufacturers test smart firearms under real-world conditions at the U.S. Army Aberdeen Test Center in Maryland. Gun makers could also be eligible to win cash prizes through the program. The federal government will also continue to help state and local governments as smart-gun technology develops, the report said.

"Many gun injuries and deaths are the result of legal guns that were stolen, misused, or discharged accidentally," Obama said. "As long as we've got the technology to prevent a criminal from stealing and using your smartphone, then we should be able to prevent the wrong person from pulling a trigger on a gun."

The president also called for more attention to be paid to the mentally ill. The Social Security Administration will publish a proposed rule to help ensure that mental health records about people who are prohibited from buying a gun are reported to the background check system. The public will have 60 days to comment after the proposed rule is published in the Federal Register.

Obama also said the White House will hold a conference in May on preventing gun violence.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them"

Uh ok....so if the suspect is any race other than black the gun will fire?
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    law enforcement will be exempt....private citizens will NOT...triggers will have automatic muslim blockers....bet me
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember about 40 years ago, I heard of a metal pin in a revolver and the shooter had to wear a magnetic ring on the trigger finger. the magnet would move to pin enough to allow the gun to fire.

Then, nothing was ever said about it again. Could this be the Smart Gun Technology?

Sorry, I can't type very well. [:I]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    I remember about 40 years ago, I heard of a metal pin in a revolver and the shooter had to wear a magnetic ring on the trigger finger. the magnet would move to pin enough to allowing the gun to fire.

Then, nothing was ever said about it again. Could this be the Smart Gun Technology?

Not sure about that one, but I have heard of these devices that must be toggled prior to engaging the trigger that enable the gun to fire. Seems pretty smart to me.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    We need trfox to chime in on this.[:o)]quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    I remember about 40 years ago, I heard of a metal pin in a revolver and the shooter had to wear a magnetic ring on the trigger finger. the magnet would move to pin enough to allowing the gun to fire.

Not sure about that one, but I have heard of these devices that must be toggled prior to engaging the trigger that enable the gun to fire. Seems pretty smart to me.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to wonder how that will work down in the getto the democraps strongholds.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Big Liar had to offer to finance private industry; all the gun makers are aware that S&W invested $1M in the "safe gun" project, but cancelled due to lack of success. So, APG will "assist" any inventors or firearms manufacturers who step up, with money "grants".

They need to come up with a technology that recognizes the "registered" owner of the gun, & won't fire for anyone else. The "ring" worked, but, if you injured your strong side hand, you wouldn't be able to fire the gun with your weak side hand.

With any form of technology, your partner or wife wouldn't be able to shoot your gun. Low battery --- you are SOL. Glitch in the software --- SOL. Broken circuit board --- too bad, take it in for service.

Those states that now have smart gun laws have all exempted law enforcement. Police fear that the Big Liar will prohibit the LE exemption, as the police must take the lead.

Neal

"If we can save one child......"
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh the local news several months ago a some what local gun shop had them for sale .
    he stated he thought might get a few people who liked the idea of a "safe gun "
    he received so much hate mail and boycott of his shop he declared
    he would never offer or even stock the guns again . said he was going under fast and the public had no use for the gun or anyone selling them [:D][:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    he has been watching judge dredd again
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 months and he is history. No doubt revisionist history.