In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 Question. - update

dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
Ran onto a Remington 700, 7mm Mag. with a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x scope (OK, not that great) for $300 over the weekend. It's probably going to rate in the 90-95% quality/finish range. The problem is that it has a barrel listed at 18 1/2 inches. I don't ever remember any barrels on those guns less than 20 inches, and even that is too short in my opinion to utilize the 7 Mag. effectively. The gun has no front or rear sight and I could detect some faint marks in the metal on the top of the muzzle end that I suspect are a rework where the sight was removed and the barrel possibly shortened for some reason. If that was done, the gun was recrowned and reblued well enough that I couldn't really tell in the brief couple of minutes I had to look at it before I had to heed the call of the wife to get back on the road. Does anyone know if this model was ever made in that length and/or is there enough gun there to be worth a re-barrel at that price if it needs it.?

(update)
I contacted Remington by e-mail (on their website) about the gun and got a reply in less than 24 hours. As I suspected, the barrel had been chopped, probably from 24 inches. The stock, action, scope, and hardcase that comes with it may be worth the $300 and the cost of a new barrel. If I go for it, I will hunt up a better scope for it than that one. Thanks for the help, and any other thoughts will be appreciated. (end update)
Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    run, RUN fast do not buy it ! A 7mm needs a longer barrel to effectivly twist a piece of lead at that speed.!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was my opinion, as I stated. I can't see how you could get a good burn in a barrel that short without excessive pressure, and you know the flash and blast have to be fierce.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    That was my opinion, as I stated. I can't see how you could get a good burn in a barrel that short without excessive pressure, and you know the flash and blast have to be fierce.
    yep, gotta have a slow twist on a fast bullet! and a slow twist requires a long barrel. You got the gist.!
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim Scoutin (sp) from American Shooter bought one for $300 with a broken stock and a rusted barrel.
    He wanted the action for a project gun.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    labelled or measured 18"?
    a lot of clerks mislabel tags. if it is really a 26" or you want to rebarrell it is a good deal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    labelled or measured 18"?
    a lot of clerks mislabel tags. if it is really a 26" or you want to rebarrell it is a good deal

I had neither the time nor the tape to verify the measurement, but it was definitely a short barrel. I don't know if it was sub 20" (one of the factory offerings), but there is no way it was much longer than that. Too short in my opinion for a hot cartridge.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and not in my view such a great deal since you can buy a new barreled action for about $350.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    and not in my view such a great deal since you can buy a new barreled action for about $350.

He Dog, I checked the Remington home page, but did not locate a barreled action for sale. Could you give me a website for them? Thanks.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:barrel listed at 18 1/2 inches

Sounds like an ASSUALT WEAPON.

Was the magazine extended?
    Did it have a bayonet lug?
    How about a pistol grip? [:D] [:D] [8D]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally Brownell's has them, but currently they are sold out. Even better, go to Legacy sports and get a Howa 1500 action. You should be able to get a price on a barred action through your favorite gun dealer. I am not sure if Cabela's or Gander sell them or not, but that would also be worth a look.