In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I am impressed

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I recently mounted crossbars on the roof of my car. Without anything mounted on the crossbars, I find the wind noise to be very annoying. An older gentleman told me to wrap something around the front bar to mess up the wind harmonics. I will be danged if the bungee cord didn't take away over half of the noise! Sure beats the $75 they want for a wind deflector. [:)]

Ya learn something new every day.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just got back from the range and shot the Smith 22A , Colt 1911, Browning .32 , and Walther .32

Now the Walther really impressed me, below is target at 15 yds 8 shots. Not bad for a short barreled gun.

target.jpg

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You lost me. Cross bar's?
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    You lost me. Cross bar's?

I edited it. The crossbars are two bars that mount across the roof. Allowing you to carry stuff like bikes, skies, or in my case a cargo carrier.

Jon
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Jon
    I keep that bit of info for future use . I guess I never thought about it as all the blazers I had over the years had them or I added factory ones , so never noticed , have not put them on a car as of yet .
    interesting
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    Thanks Jon
    I keep that bit of info for future use . I guess I never thought about it as all the blazers I had over the years had them or I added factory ones , so never noticed , have not put them on a car as of yet .
    interesting

Not a problem. Yeah, I had them on a Blazer from the factory and never had an issue. Could be the aerodynamics of the car, height of the car, height of the crossbars, or where I mounted them on the car. Whichever it is, it is loud and annoying on the interstate. The wife didn't believe until yesterday. Now this morning I put the bungee around the front bar twice, we took off down the interstate, and I asked her if she noticed a difference in noise. She said, "Yeah, what did you do?" She still doesn't believe me. [:)]

Jon
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My other vehicles came with the cross bars, but the Mrs most recent one did not. So in order to mount the new Photon torpedo I had to get some cross bars. The book at REI said I needed a large for the front and a medium for the rear. Of course I double check that with the manufacturer and they said no that is a misprint get two of the large.... XXX Wrong. Luckily my local REI had a medium one in stock today. These crossbars are easy to take off so they may not live on the top like the other vehicles...

20150520_163033_zps7d4okjn5.jpg
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We call those crossbars antlers.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Capt, you guys sell them GunBroker decals?

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    We call those crossbars antlers.[;)]

[:D]

Jon
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    I recently mounted crossbars on the roof of my car.

They do that all the time down here in the South.

1352923819_b5726b7e50_b_zpszkvmeccy.jpg
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is impressive how much louder a police car is with highway noise when it has a light bar versus being a slick top. Even the low profile LED bars they have today create a large amount of wind noise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I've always wondered; how do you pronounce that brand???

"Too-lie" or "Thool"?

Just curious.

My understanding is that it is pronounced TOOLie, unlike the town in Utah Tooele which is pronounced twill uh ....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    Hey Capt, you guys sell them GunBroker decals?

Jon

The "swoosh" ones are available in the GunBroker store. I think we are out of the text ones like that. But I will ask when she is going to reorder.
    pix848022726.jpg
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pair of bars on the bed cover of the Tundra. Handy for hauling the ramp and other light weight stuff.

It is pronounced as Capt Fun says Too-lee like Thule elk.