In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

follow up to the 115 lb coyote

hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
in this sundays paper they called it a hoax . they claimed to have found the story from reliable sources ( yet obviously not confirmed )
but it was not true . they did confirm that nys dec has in fact a bob doe working for them ,he did not confirm any coyote kill . they went on to say they do not track coyote records and in a dec officers many years in service the largest he saw was 53 lbs .

wrench .

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I hadn't heard about it previously. 115# imagine actually seeing a 115# coyote? I think I hear my traps rattling scared in the building[:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw two coyotes the other day running across this field away from a farm house. They were haulin *. I got a question, can dogs and coyotes interbreed?

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    H.S. 10-X
    yes they can intrebreed

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    115 lbs? I think thats called a WOLF!

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh no, bigtire, it's either called "Trouble" or "Opportunity", depending on how far you are from your rifle!!! [:)]

Big Al
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes dogs and coyotes can cross breed. Had a good friend who lived on a remote ranch that had a dog that was a cross between a big german shepard and a saint bernard.It was probably in between the two breeds in size.It got to breeding some of the coyotes in the area and he had unusually large coyotes in that area for years. The dog eventually got to wild to keep around........[8D]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dogs and coyotes can indeed mate. While people frequently talk about coydogs, they are in point of fact very rare or non-existant. Dogs derive from wolves and they simply have very different genetics. It can and does happen (turns out the southern "red wolf" is in fact a naturally occuring wolf/coyote hybrid, not a separate subspecies of
    wolf) but it is much more rare than folklore or feedstore discussions would indicate.

He Dog