In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

YEAH, BABY! Got my .454 back from Freedom Arms

.250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Several years ago, I bought a second-hand .454 Casull Freedom Arms revolver with a spare .45 Long Colt cylinder at a gun show, which had a Mag-na-ported 8" barrel. Well, for my money, that is WAY too long a barrel, and with the porting, I hardly felt anything, even with magnum ammo. So I sent it back to the factory to be fitted with a 6" UNPORTED barrel, as well as a .45 ACP cylinder as long as it was there. Allow me to take a moment here to explain my motiviation. You need to understand that I have a BAD case of magnumitus. The symptoms are that I MUST regularly fire handguns that blow my hair back and drive my socks down around my ankles. For many years, I survived on hot-loaded .357s, but just as with any other drug, I acclimated, and needed a stronger dose. So, one day, I went into the local gun store, minding my own buisness, when I heard a small, plaintive voice saying, "Help me! Buy me! Take me home! Love me!" I sought out the voice, and lo! It was a S&W .44 Magnum Mountain Revolver! I don't need to tell you I bought it. But soon even that wasn't enough. And so I began to crave a .454. But as I described, it...it...didn't "scratch that itch", as I had been sure it would. Maybe, this devilish "Mag-na-porting" was to blame! And so I sent it back for a shorter, handier, UNPORTED tube. I got it back yesterday. I was, of course, having withdrawal symptoms wanting to shoot it, and tonight, I got my chance. I was good. I was patient. I worked my way up, from the .45 ACP cylinder, to the .45 Long Colt Cylinder, and finally to the .454 cylinder. But I was disappointed. I dropped in some 250 grainers, and while they were powerful and fun, it STILL wasn't enough! Then I dropped in the 300 grainers. KAAAABBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH BABBBYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Lord, I LOVE it!!! I SWEAR, it was JUST like a cartoon! You simply CAN NOT believe what just happened in...in...your own two hands!!!! The gun VIOLENTLY wrenches itself up in your hands, and it happens so quickly, it is instantaneous! Like seeing Elmer Fudd fire a weapon!!! Oh, God, I love it!!!! Can you BELIEVE the former owner had this .454 Mag-na-ported? Can you believe it? How could someone NOT love violent, wrist-snapping recoil? What a silly! Oh, Lord, after this, the only thing that will satisfy me will be a .375 Linebaugh...

Comments

• borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear Ruger is working on a revolver with the 450 Marlin.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I almost had the exact same thing done to my FA 83. I also had a 45 ACP cylinder made, along with a 6" barrel installed, and a 3lb trigger action job done. I love it. I recently ordered the new FA cross draw holster from them. Nice holster! The Freedom Arms Customer service and gunsmithing staff, Stephanie and John, are "TOPS" in my book.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I see a .480 Ruger in your future......Simon the fortune-teller (sorry Mudge).
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just ordered some FA's in .475 Linebaugh with extra .480 Ruger cylinders. Might just have to keep one for me...
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing pictures once of a guy shooting a handgun chambered in 50BMG....Although he survived, I think the muzzle blast burned all the hair from his body.....