In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man accidentally shoots himself in 'showdown' with a snowman

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
High noonMan accidentally shoots himself in 'showdown' with a snowmanWILLARD - A Carter County man accidentally shot himself Monday while practicing his quick-draw on a snowman, Kentucky State Police at Ashland said.Bob Bowling, 32, of Willard, suffered a gunshot wound to his right upper thigh, according to the KSP's Ashland post.The incident occurred about 2:55 p.m. at Bowling's residence on Lost Creek, the KSP said.Bowling initially told the KSP that he had his gun in a holster and that it discharged when he sat down.However, after being taken to King's Daughters Medical Center, Bowling told Trooper Russ Fannin that the weapon went off while he was quick-drawing on a snowman.Bowling was released after treatment at KDMC, hospital spokesman Tom Dearing said. http://www.dailyindependent.com/010702/news/local/local8.html

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible Darwin candidate???? or do you have to die to get nominated???
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A clear example of why we need to ban snowmen!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    What a dumb *!!!!!!!!
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what would have happened if the snowman had been armed?
  • Options
    jazzjazz Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh Man!!!! LOLI'm really "bustin-a-gut" over this one!
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frosty the Hitman.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This brings up a question. Do any of you, after buying a gun for carry or hunting ever practice drawing for speed? I would assume most of the bright people would do so when said gun is unloaded. I was practicing drawing a Ruger Gp100 from a shoulder holster in my bedroom when somehow the thing wound up twirling through the air and landing on the bed. I still can't figure out what happened, but at least I was smart enough not to tell the wife about it. After that little mishap I don't practice "quick draw" anymore.
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I practice quite a bit with each new weapon and whenever I get a new holster for an old weapon.Evil The Kid
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I practice the draw all the time with all the weapons I carry. If you put your finger on the trigger before target aquisition you are better off carrying a base ball bat.Most people who shoot themselves in the leg practicing quick draw are wannabe Wyatt Earps with no handgun experiance.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    He must have froze up at the sight of his opponent.-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    gars320gars320 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think of it as: "Evolution In Action"
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I always practice a draw from holster to ready position (45 degree downword- no finger on trigger). Then raise to firing position (finger on trigger) and fire 2 shots - chest, one shot head as quickly as I can, placing the shots accurately. I practice this until I can do it with all confidence that each will hit it's target. Do this at 3 and 7 yards. Finger should never be on trigger when the gun is drawn. It's a lot of fun and will help you make more accurate shots when needed.
  • Options
    semi-autosemi-auto Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One might consider an unloaded pistol a better prop for quick draw practice. Or perhaps a less intimidating snowman!
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a cold-hearted killer if i ever heard of one...this story puts an icy chill down my spine just thinking about it...\
  • Options
    berto64berto64 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least he'll be safe this spring..no snowmen.berto
    What! Trade my M-14 for that plastic piece of ___t!Endeavor to Persevere
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DADDO,forget the head shot when you are practicing defensive drills,CENTER OF MASS.Chances are that in a defensive situation your target will not stand still in one place and give you the time to aim at chest then head.With the adrenaline high you will be experiencing in a defensive shooting situation your odds are greater that you will miss the small moving target of the head.Generally the first thing anyone does when the shooting starts is get down low(to present the smallest possible target) and take cover so you will want to hit your target as effectively as possible.Always practice your defensive drills using the technique that allows you the highest probability of hitting your target.Odds are,at 3-7 yards,you will not have time to place an aimed shot but instead you will be point shooting the target.Remember,at the moment the SHTF the stress of the situation will cause you to revert to your training,there will be little(if any) time to think,Josey
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only with carry guns and snap caps....afraid I might shoot myself in the leg...
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During the quick draw fad in the '60s it was not uncommon to hear of a 45 bullet down the leg. Some Q.D. people used a steel plate with a curved bottom under the holster to deflect a bullet. Quick draw with SAA revolvers is more difficult than with DA guns because cocking begins at the draw. Its easy to fumble and drop the heavy gun at that point.