In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel welding

xfirexfire Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Need to relocate touchhole(1/4-28) in my flintlock rifle, barrel made in Spain. How about tig welding the hole shut and redrilling?

Comments

• Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful, take it to a machine shop first to get the barrel tested to see what the hardness is on the rockwell scale, if hard you will have to spot aneal it, then I would suggest locating and drilling and tapping while annealed,weld prep with a counter sink to make sure of enough penetration, keeping the heat to a minium and use heat sinks welding will re-harded it, so check the hardness again, It would probably be cheaper to get a new gun,good luck and hold it away from your face the first few times you shoot it...
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first time you shoot it tie it to a tree, tie a long string to the trigger, stand behind another tree and pull the string.A lot safer to buy another gun.
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the weekend.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anneal "AFTER" being worked heat to proper temperature and at a calculated time to get the right hardness ,if too blittle it can crack and explode too soft it will deform or burn thru ..also crack and explode... Take care.....
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    xfire-- I suggest you simply thread the hole and plug it with a solid plug. Then re-drill for the new touch hole. The plug should be approximately the same thickness as the wall of the barrel. It will hold. But to be sure, re-proof the barrel by double charging and putting two patched balls on top of the charges. Be sure to proof the barrel OUT OF THE STOCK. If you proof in the stock, the recoil could split it. I wire my barrels to a heavy plank for proofing...and use a fuse to detonate the charge. Be sure to stand behind something substantial, like a tree, while proofing. Proofing like this will give you total confidence in the strength of the barrel. Good luck.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also thread and plug the hole. Use the smallest tap that will give you 100% thread. Get an Allen socket head or setscrew that is long enough to reach the bore and cut it flush. Allen screws are high strength alloy steel. Since this will be permanent put some loctite on the thread. It will also seal it against rusting from cleanups.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In rereading your post I think you're saying the touch hole is a 1/4-28 threaded plug.If thats the case, spin in a grade 6 bolt, cut it off flush and redrill the touch holeto better line up with the pan.