In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Neck sizing for semi auto's

Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I've been reloading for a couple bolt rifles for a while with Lee collet dies(no lube required). Well I finally got around to reloading some 223 for my Bushmaster and did not enjoy it to much. Full length sizing defeats half the purpose and that lubeing isn't alot of fun. So I thought why not use a collet die (neck size only without lube)and then use a factory crimp die to secure bullet in a semi auto. Does anyone out there see any problems with this type of set up? Also was wondering what you think is the best powder despenser is. I have a lee and am not that impressed. Thanks for your opions and knowledge.
"Protect the Right to Protect yourself"

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your bolt actions have tighter chambers than the BM it should work. Otherwise, it may only work with cases originally fired in the BM. You may have to bump the necks a little. Let us know how it works out. This cleaning, greasing and recleaning sure is a pain when you do a lot of AR shooting.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    You should expect to have a lot of feeding jams if you only neck size. Try using one of the spray on lubes instead of the roll on type. It is much quicker and cleaner (and the spray-on's won't desensitize the primers so cleaning is simply wiping off the outside).
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALL HAIL HORNADY "ONE SHOT"!
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35 The bolt's are different calibers, I metioned that to illistrate Thate while I was not a total rookie at reloading I had not yet had to use case lube. The spray lubes sound nice but Full length sizing still takes away the advantage of the fire formed case. The feeding is what I was wondering. UPS brought the Midway box today so I'm going to try.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Dave, in a semi-auto, having a rireformed case is a disadvantage - not a positive benefit. With a bolt action you use the camming action of the bolt to force fireformed cases into the chamber. No such camming action with most semi's, levers and pumps. The case, being fireformed to a VERY tight fit, will not enter the chamber without a lot of force, force not available in a non-bolt action.(Dang, I wish this board had a spell check function)
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis[This message has been edited by Shootist3006 (edited 12-28-2001).]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's always some springback in brass unless you're running outrageous pressures.I suggested the shoulders might have to be bumped back a smidgeon.On the ARs there is a cam action, rotating bolt though the driving springs are a bit feeble. The proof of the puddin is in the tryin. Let's see how it works out.