In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Many Shoot With The Intent To .......?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I know that is somewhat a harsh question to ask but I am asking it in response to what people said in some of the many discussions today about gun control.

There were three notable comments that came up today:

1. You only carry a concealed handgun because you want to shoot
someone if you can get a chance that is justafiable.
2. When you go shooting (target practicing) you are out there
practicing to kill something.
3. Why would you carry a gun on your person or in your car or
keep one in the night stand unless you want to shoot someone?

Number 1 and number 3 were from gunowners and number 2 was from a nongun person.

My response to these statements and question was to answer by saying that if any person owns, practices with and shoots a firearm with the purpose of shooting and killing someone, the police should be called immediately and that person locked up and given some psycological help.

My question to board members is how many shoot firearms with the intent to ...... something other than the enjoyment of participating in a shooting sport or practicing defensive measures?

Is this an appropriate question? I can't think of any person with intent other than in a military or special law enforcement application.

I don't think I have ever carried or shot any firearm with the intent to...... except when aiming at game to be harvested and most all my shooting is at targets to test skill.

Will add the results to the place matts at breakfast diner tomorrow with the AWB posts for my gunowner pro AWB friends to eat off. Should be another lively debate hopefully the brick wall will start coming down.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't think your question is clear.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    What you pose is an interesting question. I often go to the range just for shear enjoyment and enhancement of my skills. I personally think that carrying concealed for the sole purpose of killing someone if the chance arises is not a very moral reason to carry. On the other side of the dime, I believe that in carrying you are fulfilling a duty to yourself and other in the name of self defense. It is your God given duty to defend yourself and your loved ones. Along with that, if, (God forbid), you are forced to fire in anger, the responsible course of action would be to take your target down as quick, and expeditiously as possible. The army has always stressed that you should, "Train as you fight." To that end I believe that at times it is important to practice, and drill with the knowledge in your mind that you may be forced to take a life, and should refine your skill so that you can take that shot as perfectly as possible so as to reduce the risk to innocent bystanders. These are merely my beliefs and ideas. Wrong or right, they are my beliefs.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Never entered my mind when I first got into shooting. I first started shooting and have only ever shot at paper targets.

However, in my opinion, the question you ask is a little like asking, "How many of you buy fire insurance so you can burn your stuff?" I would certainly defend myself if the need arose, but I'm not looking for trouble and hope it isn't looking for me. In my mind, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot guns with the intent to kill. Animals that is. I practice and even my getting involved in shooting contest is with the end result being meat on the table. Will I ever carry if the laws in this state ( Illinois) allow? Yes just because I feel the world is leading to having to. Do I ever want to shoot someone? no Would I shoot someone in self defence of life of my love ones or myself? YES

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    What PatB said so eloquently.

Good Sheeit - word.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Do you buy insurance HOPING a flood carries away your house..or it burns down ?

A gun is insurance..insurance that you will be around to raise your children.

You BETTER be prepared and skilled in the use of said firearm..and prepared means that you have thought through the ramifications of carrying..including using deadly force when necessary.

NOBODY but a psycho would go out of their way to 'find' a place to shoot somebody...

But if one cannot make the decision to use the piece in defense of their own or loved ones life..then that person better leave it at home.That decision needs to be made BEFORE the carrying starts.

We are such an emascalated country today,that such comments are seemingly credible.."You carry a gun because you want to shoot somebody.."....No,one carries a gun because YOUR life,and your WIFE'S life..are worth more then some trash perpetrator's life that is attacking you...You don't WANT to shoot them..but the decision is make by the punk with the knife....
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can agree with the other posters here.
    Something that I would add, is that if you have made the conscious decision to carry a firearm, you MUST keep practicing with it, and STAY proficient. As said before, if it became necessary, you want to take your target out quick, without injuring ANY bystanders. All too often, I see and hear of people that go through the qualifying stages to get their CCW permits, and never go back to the range again. Or maybe go once or twice a year. I would not want to be around that person, if the occasion were ever to arise, where he pulled out a handgun and started shooting.

I do not think you will have anyone admit that they have the intent to shoot someone. I know I would do anything (within reason) to AVOID it. But if it lies within my path that I should have to. I want to be as good at it as I can be.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball says it best. Equating being prepared for an event with hoping that event will come about is pretty idiotic.

quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Do you buy insurance HOPING a flood carries away your house..or it burns down ?

A gun is insurance..insurance that you will be around to raise your children.

<snip>
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    A] I enjoy shooting. I think the recoil helps my arthritis.

B] I will not be a victim if at all possible, and will risk taking a shot for a younger person if I can return a fatal shot. I'm not out to be a bloody hero, but I've lived a good life, and if some whacko wants to start point-blank shooting into the heads of kids having a shake a MickyD's, I will confront the attacker.

C] Personal property - they can take the truck, but if the wife is strapped in, they are getting it point blank in the head, weapon displayed or not.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    elect1mike said it all!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    1]I carry a gun as a last resort not a primary response to a threat. I'd prefer to talk my way out of a confrontation. If that were not possible I would use my size and strength to disable the attackers and take the opportunity to advise a change of profession to the miscreants. As a last resort I would use my pistol and I would shoot for center mass until the threat was no more.

2]I practice a lot to gain proficiency. Once the decision to carry is made you are morally obligated to maintain a level of competence to insure to the best of your abilities that the intended target is the only thing hit and that you can draw and maintain control of your gun in a highly tense situation. I practice drawing from a concealed holster a lot more than I practice shooting a target.

3] Once I got married and had kids the responsibility to protect them became a priority. I was not too concerned about myself until I had a family relying on me for support. The desire to kill someone never entered the equation. The desire to keep someone from getting killed did.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Jordan River runs through the Salt Lake Valley from south to north. As a Kid growing up, my friends and I always "walked the river" shooting cattails, logs, cans and bottles, (When we had 50 cents for a box of .22 ammo). Young eyes and steady hands became accustomed to easily and very handily being able to "cut the stem" of a cattail at 25 yards and sometimes much further. As we grew up and got older, our "walkin' the river" trips became less frequent and we went our separate ways pursuing life. Now the River is still there...... no cattails because they have been removed for the asphalt paths along the banks where the only activity permitted is bicycling or walking/jogging/running. Don't suppose anyone knows of a range where the "intent to shoot a cattail" would be the goal?

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Good, no great, replys by several.
    Especially EMM, Hardball and pickenup!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    RPaul, I still use my Ruger 22 pistol to "pick" sunflowers. My wife calls it Redneck Gardening.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Tricky question...I target practice for fun, to hone my hunting skills, and yes, to stay sharp if I ever have to defend myself or a loved one. I don't shoot thinking "Bang, bang, bang bad guy,I just smoked your butt."

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Highball and bigdaddyjunior has said it all.
    There are so many who have hated guns and saw no reason for their existence until they themselves where victims of a life threatening crime. To see themselves and/or family members lives taken away and nothing they could do can make one re-think opinions on self protection. "It won't happen to me" or "the police will save us", is a weak and gullible thought. My guns would be used to prevent a killing first,but if that fails, I will have the chance to survive.
    Lets remember, killing and murder are two different things. Yes, that gun in the drawer is not there to fill space, nor is the lock on the door there to look nice. These are instruments of saftey, security, and the preservation of life. How could one have no way to protect his/her family should an intruder(s) enter your home or where ever you are and do what they want to you and your kids. This is your responsibility, and if you fail, you will pay for it for the rest of your life. You can leave the fate of your familys future in the hands of a useless criminal--not me!
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    1. You only carry a concealed handgun because you want to shoot
    someone if you can get a chance that is justafiable.
    2. When you go shooting (target practicing) you are out there
    practicing to kill something.
    3. Why would you carry a gun on your person or in your car or
    keep one in the night stand unless you want to shoot someone?

I think the people that said these things are clueless. It's gun owners like #1 and #3 that make us look like "nuts".

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I will agree with PATBUZZARD. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Not that I want to, but I may need to.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I pray I never have to fire a gun in anger or self defense. But if I am forced into a situation where my family or I am faced with deadly force I don't want to be the one standing there wetting myself and begging for mercy from someone who was cold enough to pull a weapon with intent to kill.

Anyone ignorant enough to actually think that gun owners carry guns and shoot in the secret hope of getting to smoke someone is beyond help. Anyone who carries a firearm hoping to get a chance to smoke someone is the reason I carry.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will shoot with the intent to stop a deadly threat.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    My first memories of shooting that I remember. I was about 5 0r 6 years old. Dad held the Remington 22 Fieldmaster, telling me how to aim it at figs in a fig tree. When I hit one, I felt like I'd really done something. Shooting figs out of a tree, punching holes in a target or old oil can, was all that was in my mind till I was much older.

Shooting boils down to about the same thing as a weekend golfer. I'm trying to get better. It's not 'me against the bad guy.'

FBI statistics on police involved shootings show that the cop who pratices more than required is involved in less 'bad shootings' than the cop who just shoots when he has to qualify.

I believe the same 'stats' would show the same thing in citizen involved shootings.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot to relax and enjoy a truly rewarding sport. I don't much ponder the question of killing a man. If the occasion ever arises, I will protect my home and family with all available means, (my means are considerable). [^]
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot to kill.. I can't take the hook out of a fishes mouth because I'm afraid I might hurt it.

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The word "want" bothers me as being presumptious. Preparing to be more than equal to the task of successfully countering a deadly threat is both legitimate and defensible.
    Practicing to be a more effective hunter is likewise legitimate.
    The hunter instinct is innate in the human male. Are we to criticize our maker for putting it there?
    I have to admit to some quixotic feelings when I see these street savage gangs wandering around gun shows handling the pistols and knives.