In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

another 1911 thumb safety question

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Just now getting around to repairing the broken safety,, I ordered a new one and sit down today to fit/install it..Problem is the part that mates to the sear is too short,,It just barely gets to the sear at all,,its a little more than a 1/16th shorter than the original so I run up to local smith,,he says new part unuseable ,,MY question,,,does the series 70 and the series 80 use the same safety..I can find nothing that says they are different
safe2.jpg
safety%205.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    some one s0ld you a worn defective or modified POS

edit
    get yourself a mil spec. and throw that BLING part in the trash
    looks like a MIM part
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this is the Taurus 1911 I had a thread on awhile back that the ambi-safety had broken and I wished to replace it with a single sided one. In the picture the new thumb safety is just a hair off of the frame but I left it there to show how the lug did not reach,,if I push it flush it just reaches the sear but there is no overlap to make it work,the original almost reached the hammer strut,as far as brand name I ordered it from Brownells, I dont remember if it showed a brand,,it was listed as a single sided brushed finish 1911 thumb safety,,It has NOT been filed or ground down in any way,,its just as it came. I sent them these pics plus this one asking about it being too short. safety%204.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All the parts still in there..I think you can even see them in the pic with the grip safety removed,,best I can measure,,not great tools for that..the lug is .292.. Its just too short,,I should waited and run up the road and bought a wilson bullit proof cnc machined one,they were out of stainless and I did not want a blue one,,I will go pick one up next week
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bigger question is where did you get that part ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    bigger question is where did you get that part ?

,,,,,,,,,,,"far as brand name I ordered it from Brownells,,,,,,,,,"

you ordered the part for sharpshooter ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry didnt see the brand
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fitting a safety can be tricky.
    When you're done, cock the hammer, put the safety on, pull the trigger fairly hard, put the safety off and if the hammer falls or is any lighter start all over.