In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading for the 16 Inch Naval gun.

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Thought this was interesting. From the 2nd Edition Ammo Encyclopedia. A great reference book, BTW.[8D]

"The 16-inch 50-caliber Mark 7 main guns of the now-retired Iowa-class battleships have earned an almost legendary reputation. This being the case, let us take a quick look at the ballistics on which this legend is based."

Projectile Type: Mk.13 HC (high explosive)

Projectile Weight(lbs.): 1900

Propellant Weight(lbs.): 660

Muzzle Velocity(fps): 2,690

Max Range(miles): 23.6

Projectile Type: Mk.8 AP

Projectile Weight(lbs.): 2,700

Muzzle Velocity(fps): 2,500

Max Range(miles): 24

At 5.7 miles, the Mk.8 Armor Piercing shell could penetrate just over 26 inches of steel armor plate.

Max. average chamber pressure was a modest 37,000 psi.

Muzzle energy of the Mk.8 AP shell was 116,980 foot-TONS!
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    When we moved down to the coast, when I was in Viet Nam, the Navy did our artillery support. We thought the Army artillery guys we worked with in the Central Highlands where pretty good, and where concerned about the accuracy of a ship floating around in the South China sea.
    We found out on our first call for a fire mission. One fire for effect, if you gave those guys the right numbers, they could put em in your hip pocket, if you wanted it there. It was amazing, them boys could shoot.
    To this day, I don't totally understand how naval gunnery works, but it damn sure works. [^]
    W.D.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Projectile Weight(lbs.): 1900

To put that into numbers we are used to that is a bullet weighing 13,300,000gr over a powder charge of 4,620,000gr. Wow, I won't complain about my 300WSM using to much powder again.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, I always thought Bullseye was good for everything. [:)]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought this was a request For load data from one of our members
    that had obtained One surplus. at the cost of Powdwer at todays prices it would be costly to ZERO one in [:0]
    WD I am with you how do you hit any thing when The PLATFORM THE GUN IS MOUNTED ON IS MOVING.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l read somewhere once the the powder/propellant grains are about the size of golf balls
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    l read somewhere once the the powder/propellant grains are about the size of golf balls

I have one of the powder "chunks". I am hesitant to call it a "grain". Give me a minute and I will get a photo.

I can set it beside a golf ball for size comparison. [:D]
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    WD I am with you how do you h.it any thing when The PLATFORM THE GUN IS MOUNTED ON IS MOVING.Consider too that our Navy achieves such unbelievable over the horizon accuracy using WWII-era tubes, powder and projectiles.

The huge leap in capability is due to their forward looking ordnance section's commissioning of the world's first supercomputer way back in the early 50's. Overnight their accuracy went from good to outrageous.

There's little glory or glamour involved, but electronics actually rank just behind ships on our Navy's list of important gear. Rightfully so.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    What's truly amazing, at least to me, is that that incredible level of accuracy was achieved the hard way. No conputers(at least as we use the term in modern times). No gps. Mechanical calculators and so forth. Doing the trig in your head. My god. I don't think any truer words have ever been spoken than referring to the WWII men and women as Americas greatest generation....
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Central/The-coast-of-Trondelag/What-to-do-along-the-coast-of-Trondelag/Scenic-attractions/Austratt-Fort/

One of two triple 283MM gun turrets from the German battlecruier Gneisenau is preserved in Norway where it was installed as part of the Atlantic Wall in 1942/43

Apparently the other near Bergen has been scrapped (which would have been easier to visit)
    The remaining one is at Austr?tt Fort outside Trondheim in northern Norway

Gneisenau arrived at Kiel, Germany from Brest, France in great shape in Feb 42 and so was intended to be moved to Norway and join Tirpitz.
    In a rare move her ammo was not unloaded as she had a quick refit and an unlucky hit during an air raid destroyed her forward magazine burning out the forecastle.

Rather than just repair her it was decided to replace the 3 triple 283MM turrets with twin 380MM turrets, her original intended guns not used to appease the British politically making her a 3/4 Bismarck in effect. So the three guns from turret Anton were sent to Holland and the complete turrets Bruno and Cesare were shipped to Norway and installed as coastal defense.

These are some of the very guns that sank the carrier HMS Glorious as well as many other British ships when Gneisenau and her sister Schranhorst fought at sea(known as the twins as they were usually deployed together)and they are preserved in Norway.

This piece of history is the last remaining piece of the major German warships of WWII in existence and while it might be a very expensive trip it would certainly be interesting to see it with one's own eyes

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?87940-German-WWII-coastal-battery-Austrått-fort-Norway

Here is a nice bunch of photos taken by a local of Gneisenau's turret Cesare

Notice the powder charge is not silk bags but is a brass case.
    The Germans were the only naval power in WWII that used brass charges on their main battery guns which is why they could actually have magazine fires that did not destroy the ship.
    It was also why these guns could fir at better than 3 rounds per minute

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Muzzle energy of the Mk.8 AP shell was 116,980 foot-TONS!"

or > 199,618,117.2 - foot pounds of energy !

Sounds more impressive ! ... IMHO

[;)][:D][^][8D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad was in gunnery during WWII. He said they would shoot over the horizon.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    navypowder03.jpg

navypowder01.jpg

[;)]

That doesn't look like it will meter very well, and I thought 4831 was bad[;)]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    navypowder03.jpg

navypowder01.jpg

[;)]

Those grains are very nearly the same size ratios as the powder used for the 155 guns- except much larger. The grains for the 155s were about an inch long by 1/4" wide.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At charge weights of 600 pounds I think they can be off a few grains and not worry too much.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,021 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm all ears [:D]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Note the caricature of the German " dogface" under a mountain of military load carved into the totem pole.
    They had the same complaints we did.