In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25 auto power, cont'd

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Don't know what kind of 55 gallon drum Pearyw shot his 1908 Colt at or was it a 32 or 380 he used. I practiced walking away from a standing 55 gallon drum then turning, drawing and firing a burst from a Baby Browning 25 auto. NONE of the bullets penetrated even one side of the drum at less than 10 feet. The ammo was factory Remington. The year was 1963 but I doubt ammo has become any stronger.
Nonetheless,because of its'size, I carried this pistol for a few years during summertimes. I even learned how to load and unload it with one hand in the pants side pocket when entering or leaving buildings.
THIS IS NO LONGER AN ASK THE EXPERTS TOPIC, BUT A GENERAL DISCUSSION AND WILL BE MOVED TO THAT FORUM...!

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    May or may not penetrate a drum depending on the load used. I've seen 22cal pocket guns not be able to penetrate rather thins targets. Those pocket pistols don't get much energy or velocity, but if you use one at point-blank range it will at least slow someone up a bit. I would expect a good .25 FMJ round to at least puncture one side of the drum

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love this discussion, becuase I happen to be a fan of the smaller calibers. I have heard people say "if you are serious enough to carry, you should be serious enough to carry a serious caliber" or other rot.

I think that saying comes from people who frankly don't carry concealed, or are in a position where they can cover the pistol with their clothing. In a nutshell- different pistols for different circumstances.

It is partly a social thing; ask yourself- Do I want to explain just why I have this artilery on my hip? You may feel perfectly comfortable explaining this, but I can assure you that it will cause more problems more often than it will solve.

Mostly, however, the .25 and other small pistols are Ideal for concealed carry, and I mean "concealed". What most people forget is that to carry concealed, you need a small and light gun. I wear a suit to work, and I don't wear the jacket all the time. Some of my clients would go nuts if they saw me armed; the ones that prompt the carrying of the gun, I don't want them to know I'm armed.

If the pistol is to be concealed, it has to be small and light. This means a small caliber. The first rule of thumb is to be aware of one's surroundings and circumstances. If you really think you are going to be in a situation where it will hit the fan, You need the big boys. If you are going to a black tie ball, there is no problem with a small caliber.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This poor horse (topic) has been beat until there is nothing else to do but die ...

Read ballistic chart see where 25 shakes out, make informed decision on penetration and stopping power. Go to another topic.

If all you own is a 25 then IT IS your defensive weapon. If you have other calibers then you have choices as to what is best for given carry situations. If your looking to buy a defensive pistol, make an informed decision ...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lets move this to the gen discussion room gentlemen. there is no techno involved. soon, our monitor will agree and lock it out. btw....next time, get in the bbl and have someone shoot your 25cal at it and see if it changes your mind.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At these very short barrel lengths, velocities are low and every 1/2"
    will make meaningful differences. The Baby Browning has a 2" barrel.
    I believe other 25s may have up to 1" longer barrels. If it is true that other 25s have penetrated a 55 gallon drum they must have had longer barrels than 2". Both sides of a barrel sounds to me like a real stretch.
    Referring to some short barrel experiments from 1986 using a locked breech test fixture and unvented barrels between 2 1/2" and 6" lengths & using a 2 1/2" barrel: 22RFmag gave 1014fps, 22lr SuperX 814fps, Remington LR Hypervelocity 962fps and 22 short Minimag 898fps. A Baby Hammerless 22 Short revolver having a 1 1/8" barrel(2" including cyl length)was also tested, giving an average velocity of 622fps with Rem target 22shorts.
    A two inch barrel will certainly meaningfully reduce the 2 1/2" velocity data.
    All in all it beats a sharp stick in the eye.
    I would think soft targets like the neck or groin area would respond best to a 25ACP barrage.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Aren't CCI .22LR Stingers more powerful anyway? .25 obsolete?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe the Stinger was around when the tests were done. It would be interesting to see what it will do energywise out of a 2" barrel.
    So far it looks like the 25ACP is the energy champ out of a 2" auto barrel.