In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thoughts on the 17HM2

ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am wondering what everyones else's thought on this "new" bullet is. They say it will be more accurate at 100yrds than the HMR and be close to 2000 fps. If you haven't heard yet it is a 22lr necked down to a 17.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead

Comments

• ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add that the will be putting out a barrel for the 10/22 for this and also that the price will be less than half of the HMR.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds good it could open up a whole world of rifle and handgun conversions but ammo prices have to make sense.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make ammo prices close to typical .22LR ammo prices and I'll buy a pistol and a rifle.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with idsman. If the ammo costs more than premium .22lr ammo (eley, lapua) then I will ignore it. But if they get the price down to a reasonable level, I will buy a rifle or a conversion barrel for one of the 10/22's I dont use.

RUGER.jpgNRA_FLAG_2.gif8.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Nice round. My hunting buddy has a rifle and pistol and they are a blast to shoot. But the price of ammo is out of sight. I would prefer a reloadable round. Then I have a little more control of what it costs to have it come out of the barrel. If I get a small cal round other than 22lr it has to be reloadable

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?][?][?] why?

Someone help me here, are we going to be in a new arena of .17's?

.17 short, long, long hmr, [;)]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .17 short? That would make a good mouse hunting gun! I think i would have to have one!
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    The whole idea sounds like a waste of time to me. The 22 Lr still kills squirells, right?[}:)]

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .17 short loaded with #12 shot would make a good alternative to a fly swatter!
    I think if you need anything bigger than a .22lr just use a .223 those little .17 cal bullets are too light anyway. They would get blown off course by a mild wind.
    10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as it uses jacketed bullets & is made in small quantities the price will always be high. I have to wonder if it might be possible to use a saboted lead bullet in a standard .22 LR case to achieve the same thing?
    Trying to use a lighter bullet (like the 27 gr hp of the .22 short) than used in the current hyper velosity rounds must soon run up against leading problems as the velosity increases.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Sisk used zinc or zinc alloy for some HV bullets. If it works, die cast bullets should be very cheap.
    Ackley did some hunting of ferile donkeys in the desert using HV 17 cal wildcats and they worked out well.
    I have to say a 17 bullet out of a shortened, sharp shouldered hornet case sounds appealing to me.