In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New level of stupidity in sporterizing

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I recently went to a gunshow. I generally keep an eye out for military weapons in unaltered configuration, but will look at anything if the price is right. So when I saw a sporterized Arisaka, I first groaned that someone had bothered to sporterize such a crude gun, and then briefly examined it. Turns out it was a training rifle smooth bore! Some * had actually taken a gun that couldn't be fired (or could but with no safety or accuracy) and bent the bolt, installed tapped scope mounts, and shortened the stock. He never even looked down the bore? Boy I bet he was sore when his project couldn't hit squat!

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the guy who buys it is really going to be Sore!!
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle is far better than you give it credit for. It's major drawbacks are, the sights, trigger & the stock is usually too short.
    A cheap side-mounted scope, replacement trigger & a slip-on recoil pad made a world of difference in the one I used to have.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How would that have helped the smooth bore barrel problem ?

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.

Edited by - Tailgunner1954 on 04/14/2002 07:37:40
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That certainly was bad judgement. It would make sense to the owner to install an aftermarket barrel in a caliber like .300 Savage or 6.5 Swede.
    Years ago I modified a Jap that had been converted to 30-06 by bending the bolt, installing a Redfield Jr. scope mount, modified the bolt to cock on opening and installed a cut down M1 carbine muzzle brake. The rifle was light weight and accurate with the undersized .308 M1 ball but after 500 rounds headspace went out of limits.
    At one time it almost made sense to sporterize them but these days
    there are too many better guns out there to play with.