In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Triple barrel gun

COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
At the last gun show. I held one impressive weapon.
A three barrel dog leg....2 top barrels (side by side)
12 gauge......bottom barrel, centered between the two above
was a 30.06......gun had open sights........with a quick
detachable scope, for the .06.........real nice gun......
the owner had it made in europe in the late 70's, said it
cost $11,000.00.....had receipt ,so he said....it was not
for sale just show........the three barrels seem to be made
from one piece of steel....................*

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love goofy custom guns like that. I once saw a .410/.20/.22lr triple.....only one I've seen. Would love to own something like that.

Merc

NO! You may not have my gun! Now go crawl back into your hole!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There called Drillings (or somthing like that in German).
  • Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes t.g. you are correct...many of them are german....the german airforce (LUFTWAFFA) USED THEM AS CRASH GUNS.. in case of downed pilots to defend them selves or to obtain food.how many did we send to davy jones locker in wwll....i saw one in "good" cond. 12s over a
    7.92(8mm)...12,000.00 !!!!
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a drilling pass thru the store back in the late 70's. Pair of 16ga with a 9.3 if I rememeber right. Heavy!!!!! Traded it at a gun show for some stuff I could sell.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drillings actually got started in Europe because many of the hunting seasons over lap and you hunt several things at once. Thus the need for two or more guns, and the three barreled solution.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Drillings have more than three barrels. There are licencing benefits in Europe of having only one gun.
    A German owner told me that because of uneven expansion of the rifle barrel he has to wait for it to cool to get decent accuracy. That burst my balloon because Ive always hankered after one. The used market on Drillings seems to be a fraction of the real worth of these beautiful guns.