In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ground blind or tree stand for deer?

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Going out muzzlelaoding during the early season (pre-rut), would like to know my best bet. Have all the scent elimination stuff lined up and ready to go.

Input?

Thanks.

O Lord,
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can,
and the supreme firepower to make the difference.

Comments

• Options
    toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tree stand, no question IMHO. The scent elimination stuff is ok, but it doesn't do it all (such as movement and your breath (no insult intended!!). I have read a few articles that ones breat carries a lot of scent. A tree stand will usually give you better visibility as well.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter at all. If you have properly patterned the deer and know when and where they feed and what trails they use and at what time of day, you're good to go. If you stay on the right side of the wind. (depending on the area.) Sometimes, that doesn't matter.
    Scent elimination products make tons of money, wish I had stock in them!
    Could probably retire from dollars donated from people who put their faith in them!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timberbeast
    Doesn't matter at all. If you have properly patterned the deer and know when and where they feed and what trails they use and at what time of day, you're good to go. If you stay on the right side of the wind. (depending on the area.) Sometimes, that doesn't matter.

While I always hunt from a treestand while bowhunting, when I pistol hunt I sit on the ground.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find/build/use a safe tree stand then DO IT! Ground hunting is nice if you have no other choice or if you want to move frequently. But, I think that deer are able to see the slightest movement when you're on the ground. Keep in mind, though, that it is usually quite a bit colder up in a tree!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tomorrow is the archery opener here..grumble grumble....and I have to work without another day off for probably 2 more weeks.

I'm using a gound blind this year. I know where I'm going and what I'm doing so hopefully I'll be able to ambush the hell out of the grandaddy of all bucks.
  • Options
    vafrankovafranko Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tree stand hands down! I tend to move on the ground and have scattered at times 4-6 deer that might have come by my spot.

I live in Northern Virginia and live near Quantico Marine Corps Base. Base has some big deer and scads of turkey but problem is that portioned areas are first come first served (civilians last) and this prevents one from scouting best places and precludes previously built tree stand. Don't hunt any longer but a few archers get to come on the living part of the base and take deer off the golf course. How sweet it must be. Just rambling a little. Shoot straight and good luck!

Franko
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Depends if you're going to drink alot of beer. No beer = tree stand, beer = ground. [:D]
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it depends on your terrain. And the circumstances. Never used a tree stand. I walk, slowly, wait, walk, listen, walk. I've taken my last 3 deer with a Ruger 7 1/2 in. bbl.open sight 44 mag. that way.
    I usually see them just after I (or they) crest a ridge.

Ain't it fun?[:D]

I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make this very clear.usflag.gif
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have scouted as mentioned before, then the tree stand is the only way to go. Deer are extremely visually acute and will pick up the slightest movement from their eye level down especially. Sense of smell is even better than their eyesight.

Also, being a lot higher than their normal eye level allows you to observe them quite readily while they browse along their path of travel. You can also see a LOT MORE GROUND from an elevated position, and are not totally at risk of detection from changing wind currents.

One little trick I utilize is to pack my hunting clothes in a large trash bag along with a couple of fronds of cedar....as your body temperature heats the cloth, the scent of cedar is released by the heat instead of normal human scent.

Happy hunting...

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gravity and I have come to an understanding; I don't defy it, and it don't slam me into the ground.[:D]

OldGuns55@yahoo.com