In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Now pocket knives are banned

Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Living in NW TN, our NBC news come from the Paducah, KY affliate station. Just watching the 10 o'clock news. Seems there was a defendant in court today for flagrant non-support (not paying child support). He was sentenced to jail. Immediately upon the judge pronouncing the sentence, he reached into his pocket, pulled out a single-edge razor blade and cut his own throat. They had it on tape, and played it on the news. Pretty dramatic! Didn't kill himself, but he will have a nice scar when he does get out of jail.

Anyway...the head of the security over the courthouse announced that effective immediately, no POCKET KNIVES will be allowed through the metal detectors!! Now, if I leave home without my pocket knife, it is only because I have gone outside without my pants on...and that don't happen! I never have business in KY, so it doesn't effect me, but what in the world is all the BANNING leading to?

Comments

• daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I don't know,I just don't know! I quess the idiots are figuring everyones going to commit suicide in the court rooms now--- go figure!
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Had a nut pull a gun and shot a judge during a childsupport hearing a few years back. Court rooms with metal dectors here make you check you knife at the door. Get it back when you leave.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knives have been banned for years at the Jefferson County Courthouse. If you are found to have one at the metal detector, you do not get it back when you leave, you take the chance of getting arrested. There are signs posted all over.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hennepin county, Minnesota had courthouse shooting last season, a nutty female crank killed a lawyer and a court official with, I believe, a .38.

Ironically, the courthouse had just been posted a "no gun zone" by the Chief Judge the month before, when Minnesota's CCW law was changed.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even in the rural county court houses of NH, the standard has been similar to airline security for well over a decade. No pocketknives, nail files, plastic combs with pointed handles, etc. Makes sense. Lots of very disturbed people in and around courts, not just the nut cases. I know one guy who stopped his truck on his way back from a divorce hearing and chopped down a whole stand of bamboo (with the land owner's permission) to work off his anger . . . in my three piece suit! Although some folks might argue with my characterization of myself . . . .

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Until yesterday, you could carry a pocket knife into the courthouse there, as long as it had a blade under 4-inches. And they said, starting today, if you went through the metal detector with a knife, they would confiscate it, no chance of getting it back. I understand the need for a no gun policy in a courthouse, but a little pocket knife? Like I said, I carry mine all the time. If it isn't in my pocket, I feel kinda "naked." Like leaving my watch at home. Guess this is another case of the rights of many being absolved for the protection of the few. At least at the courthouse in my county, I can carry concealed since I have a permit! Thank God for rural areas and common sense!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been that way for years here in SC. No knives allowed in the courtroom.
  • MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work in the Juvenile Court in Memphis, TN and no weapons are allowed in out building at all. No box cutters, pocket knives, or punches. I've been here 24 years and have a CCW but cannot have my sidearm on the property. :(

aguncollector@prodigy.net