In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

yugo m 48

mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
hey i have been looking at getting a yugo muaser 48. how do these guns compare to mausers out there are they similiar to the k98s better worse? whats the story? critical issues are accuracy and reliability.thanks mdcac

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive their identical. Some are captured and re-marked (from the germans) but the new unissued ones were made in abandoned german plants.I bought an "Un-issued" M-48 and love it! 50+ years old and it looks like it just came off the assembly line. With surplus ammo the worst group I've shot was just under 2" at 100 yds. That doesn't come close to what most of my other rifles will do, but I'm guessing when (if ever) I start handloading for it those groups will shrink conciderbly.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one from Mitchell right after they started selling them. Agree with previous post RE: Looks like it just came off the assembly line. Worth the price of admission just to work that famous bolt action. Frankly, and I know this is heresy, that yugo's bolt is lot smoother than the one on my (gasp!) '03 Springfield and the Springfield is truly "mint". If you get one from Mitchell, be prepared for a shock in terms of weight. Stock must be ironwood. Plus, can you say "cosmoline"? Sure you can. A friend of mine detail-stripped mine for me and it took quite a while to get all the gunk out. It still bleeds a bit if I heat the barrel up.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    go for it. Cheapest quality Mauser out there now; some Turks have good barrels, but not the finish.
    Wenn alles richtig ist, dann stimmt 'was nicht. -Nena (When everything is going right, something is bound to be wrong.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what price should i expect to pay for one in excellent condition? i have seen them recently adverstised at blowout price of 140 bucks for what guns & ammo term like new in shotgun news. would this be a good price and does like new basically mean unissued condition.i actually got to shoot one at the range yesterday that belonged to a gentleman that was nice enough to let me fire a few and i ablsoulty loved the action tons of funany more comments welcomedmdcac[This message has been edited by mdcac (edited 09-30-2001).][This message has been edited by mdcac (edited 09-30-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    another question what is the difference between the m-48 and m-48Aand i don't think i would do it but is it possible to mount a scope on thses old timeres.
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also got mine from Mitchells, Great place to buy: The story of the Jews and the armory is quite interesting. The sign above the doors of the armories says it all "NEVER AGAIN" Maby Schumer should read the story.
    [This message has been edited by YankeeClipper (edited 09-30-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have never heard of mitchells. who and where are they located. do the have a web site. also price info would help
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MDCAC - They're out of CA. Mitchell's Mausers is the full name, I believe. They usually carry an ad in the gun rags every month. I'm sure they have a web site. Just try "Mitchell's Mausers" on any search engine. The price has been climbing. Most recently, they were pushing $300. There's a sling, a new bayonet and scabbard, cleaning kit and leather ammo pouch along with the rifle. You can get a 98 Mauser for a lot less and it will probably shoot just fine but, if the one I rec'd is an example, these are really pure. No, I don't work for Mitchell's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    has anyone ever boght a gun from wholesale guns & ammo Inc. there website in gun-ammo.com they advertise the m-48A saying its a summer blowout special ata140 and say it is in like new condition. i am trying to decied if like new conditions means really good or if it just ok. basically i want something that has been ragged out and am worried about ordering something i cant see unless some of you guys have used them before and can attest to their reputationthanks mdcac[This message has been edited by mdcac (edited 09-30-2001).]