In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

romanian dragnov

mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
saw some of the dealers carrying the romanian dragnovs. do any of you guys have any experience with this gun. what kind of accuarcy does it have. i like the 7.62x54, but would appreciate comments on the round. by the way i ordered the springfield mark 1 from the CMP maybe i will get lucky.mdcac

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MD, I saw those Dragunovs too....they look spiffy! I'm thinking of either getting one of those, or a regular ole AK-47. Seems the Romanian ones are everywhere now, at decent prices.Anyone have any suggestions about these guns? Do they shoot well? Are they crap? The ammo is way cheap, which is a plus, unless it is a total piece of junk. I'd just target shoot with it....probably could get something similar in a .22, but I like oddball stuff. Merc
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for a while. Sold it to my brother ...he likes the "whizbang" stuff more than I do. I found it to be particularly accurate(for a Third World weapon). Not up to military match standards though. Scope is interesting and kind of neat. I really liked its open sights...I found them better than the scope. The rifle just wasn't my cup of tea. Rather than drop $800 on a nifty "whizbang" like that save up a little longer and get an M1A. Beach
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just saw a documentary that covered the Dragonov design. Apparently it's not a true sniper rifle, it's more an inexpensive compromise, but you will get maybe 2" groups at 100 yards. They were designed to put a lot of snipers into an infantry-based combat situation, accurate enough to keep the enemy ducking and intimidated while the rest of the troops did their thing. Don't expect a match rifle.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror's on the mark! It was designed for a completely different role than what our military primarily uses a sniper rifle for.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    It's not as accurate as, say, a floating-barrel Remington 700 Police in .308, or a PSG-1, but it gets the job done. If it didnt they wouldnt have used it. Thats where the Soviets differed from us.It's a Kalashnikov design, and as such it's about impossible to screw up.The Soviets (and many other nations too) required 100% utter and total reliability under any conditions. I mean like rain, snow and blowing mud. I mean dropping the gun into water and then dropping it into sand and racking the action and still having it chamber and fire.In that aspect, I think they were far wiser than we were in the development and selection of their infantry weapons.The 7.62x54mm is also a fine round. It doesnt have the same ballistic coefficient as a .308, but the majority of armorers will tell you it's about par with the .30-06. It's a one-shot-one-kill round, especially with the soft-points.
  • Options
    mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just saw that wolf is producing new 7.62x54 non corrosive ammo which will be great for my nagant. i don't know what it is about this rifle but i am certainly interested. maybe its just that it looks cool or maybe because its so rugged and reliable. i have an sar1 the romanian ak 47 and love it. i guess i just have to decide if the trade off of accuacy compared to price and reliablity is worth it.mdcac