In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Digital Camera Help

Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I'm looking to buy a digital camera and I'm leaning towards a Sony, but I'm up for suggestions and would like to stay under 250.00 if possible. I'll keep shooting most with a film camera but want to be able to pack something small to shoot photos from the field. So any suggestions and reasons why would be appreciated. I hope you folks can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Have to buy one. Absolutely no idea of which one to buy, or worse what is needed to consider before buying one.Help greatly appreciated.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    win37win37 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted almost the same post several months back (it may be in the archives) and the response was heavy in favor of the Sony Mavica. I bought the least expensive (cheapest) one and am very pleased. The model is fd75 and goes for $350 to $400 almost everywhere. There are no programs/wires or anything else to hook up or download. Uses standard floppy discs purchased anywhere and goes from the camera to your computer. These are not the smallest ones on the market but for the money, it serves my needs very well.Hope this helps and that this topic gets you as many responses as it did for me.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought the Soney fd75.Very happy with it for all the reasons mentoned above.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what purpose do you intend on using the camera? I have some experience and could possibly help. But, there are so many models, features and price ranges that it is like asking what type of gun to buy.For example:Do you want to record video, MPEG video or still images only?Do you want a readily available medium, such as floppy disks, or are you willing to go with a proprietary system (like Sony's memory stick.)?Do you want super-high resolution, megapixel or can you live with lower resolution images?Do you want extreme zoom capabilities? How about night-vision (infrared) capabilities? How much are you willing to spend?G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with a digital cam corder that you can take stills from, two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was going to be my suggestion Twins! If that is the option you choose, I've had excellent success with the Sony TVR-730 digital 8mm camcorder with built-in digital camera, MPEG record mode, night-vision, etc.You can visit Sony's website for detailed info. This setup is rather costly, though. On the flip side, the newest DV camcorders are REALLY cool. But, the least expensive one is still over $1000.G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sony fd75 is a great camera. I don't own one, but borrow one on occasion from a friend. Easy to use and no special software. I'm saving my pennies for one of my own now.WOODS
  • Options
    RegulajoRegulajo Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a professional photographer, I may be of some help.You may want to look at the Cannon G1, about $650.00. It is a point and shoot type camera with the option of 30 second bursts of MPEG video. It uses a small card called a compact flash card or an IBM Microdrive, these are available from 8mb to 1000mb and are becoming the "norm" for digital cameras. The image on it's best resolution is 3.1 megapixels or about a 9 megabyte image when decompressed. The only concern with the cameras that hold floppy disks is that a floppy disk is only 1.44 megabytes and can't hold very many images, certainly not very high resolution.I have used the G1 for about a year and like it very much. This is my "family photos" camera. These are some photos from the camera. http://www.wilsonphotography.com/monty.htm
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mr nunn convinced me to buy the sony 75.thanx, nunn.i love it!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Used for;*Indoor, and outdoor. 50/50 split. *Close up shots of objects, ranging from 1" to 5'(feet) in size. *Distances from 6" to 50'(feet).*Outdoors, landscape, houses.Need very good quality photos as they will be used for designing, selling , marketing, and brochure/litature/picture production.EASY usage for "shooter", and computer illiterate person....me!$500 was comfort level for first digital, that has features I can grow into using as I learn more, before senality sets in.Where was that earlier post?Thank you all, for the input.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sony, Cannon, and Fugi were shooting it out.Wife says she wants the Sony.She'll use it as much as I will, so Sony looks like Sony wins.Thanks for your "rounds" of info.
    Happy Bullet Holes!