In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best rifle scope for the money

DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
What rifle scope is the best value? Obviously, it's going to depend on what you're using it for, but I'd like to know good and bad experiences from different brands, models, etc. and what that particular scope costs. This could go anywhere from cheapest of the cheap to the most expensive.

Comments

• Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Tasco World Class.You get a lot for what you pay.Comparable to the Timex Watch.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Ya,I bought two,right after they came out.Took 55 shots from a 340 Weatherby to trash both. The factory took 6 months to get them back..whence I promply sold both at the next gun show.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll jump on the Leupold train. I've tried a couple simmons, deerfield and Aetec, both were accurate but they were very blurry around the edges and not as bright as the Leupolds. I've used a couple bushnell's and they didn't keep their zero, also got one wet and their customer service stunk, never did get it fixed. The scope had a lot of dirt on the lenses inside and would fog up easily, when they sent it back one of the cross hairs was broken and they denied doing it. I guess it broke in shipping. Everything I put a scope on from this point forward will wear Leupold. Unless I hit the lottery, then maybe I'll go try a Zeiss or a Swarovski. I have 5 rifles and 1 handgun equipped with Leupolds and they are accurate, bright and retain their zero. Also Leupold's customer service is said to be one of the best. I don't know, I've never had to send anything back. The oldest Leupold I have is only about 14 seasons old. Also get quality bases and rings. If you can find one for your rifle, get a 1 piece Leupold base, then use Redfield or Leupold Rings. Ok the rest of you can have at it.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the caliber, the Tasco/Toyco scope may not be what you want. I recently got a great deal on a Vari-X-II in 3-9X40 due to the discontinuation of that line. Good scope...great price...
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That brings up a good point, what kinda power and whatcha gonna mount it on Roosta?I have a few Platinum BSA's that I like real well, 1 on an AR-15, 1 on a 10/22 and one on an H&R M-12 Sniper Trainer (also a .22). I have a Tasco World Class Plus that does fine on my Remington 700 .223 but not woth a crap on my Remington 700 .308, so it sports a Leupold Vari-X II, My Springfield M1A has a 3rd Generation Variable 4-14X56 which is OK, but I wish I bought another Leupold ... My HK PSG-1 Clone has a Swavorski ... its the best but I wish it had more power ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In truth, the quality of the optics you use will be directly related to the price. There may be a little variation in quality between manufacturers in the $100 range, but none of them will compare with scopes in the $250 range. The differences will not usually be very apparent at the store counter or even in your back yard in the middle of the day. The differences will be noticeable at the edges of the day in poor light, and after your magnum has pounded them a few times. Look for good glass, BAK-4 and full multicoating at every glass to air surface. That will cost. It puts you in the range of Leupold's Vari-x III, and other brands near top of the line. Save a little longer, buy better. Cheap scopes are ok for your .22 used off a bench for fun, but for hunting you might consider that it makes sense to pay as much for a scope as you did a rifle. That said, Leupold has been reliable in my experience, as have Nikon's top scopes. For a less expensive scope I have been satisfied with the Weaver Grand Slam. My next will be a Leica. I tend to 4x, 6x, and 3-9x, and never anything larger than 42mm for hunting.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sold my Leupolds and my Schmidt & Benders. Bought Shepherds. Never looked back.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nikon. The Nikon Buckmaster is every bit as good as the Leupold Vari-X II and the Nikon Monarch, which I have on my Ruger .308, is on par with the Vari-X III. You will often find the Nikon scopes less expensive than the Leupolds and of equal quality and performance. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the Nikon glass.Teamblue
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    s.gun- Your analogy is perfect. I have tasco world class scopes that havent failed me in over ten years. I understand the benefit of having a more exspensive scope for low light situations, but the haze caps that come with the world class have always been good enough for me. However, you must wipe those caps off, because they collect all sorts of things.I have a Timex watch, that I have owned since I was 15-I am now 31. It is a wind up type, and it has never given me any trouble. When and if that watch dies, I will go to the local convenient store and buy another timex. Keep your Rolex, Bulova, Citizen, Seiko-GIVE ME TIMEX!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimberkid - I'm not really looking to buy a scope right now, but it was more for discussion purposes. I got in a conversation on another thread some time ago about this kind of thing and thought maybe we could get a little better discussion going. I'm kind of a high-end purchaser. I'm thinking about buying a .243 or .270, which I'm fairly sure I'll put Leupold on it. The reason why I'm asking is I'm not sure I'm going to really shoot it all that much, so maybe lower priced scope would be o.k. I've been thinking about Steiner or Hakko, as opposed to the Leupolds. I checked out a couple Hakko models that are very crisp and carry about the same price tag as Leupold, but I think they're mainly used for target. Just wanted to get some input. There's no doubt I will buy quality when I'm mounting optics on larger caliber rifles, just because recoil can have an affect. Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a Simmons Whitetail Classic on a 30.06 semi-auto and it shot like a dream at the range,for 2 years in the field I missed every shot.A friend of mine up in the Dakotas said he had one on a rifle for 1 season and sold it for the same reason.Being hard headed I sold the .06 and put a second brand new Whitetail on a lever action .308 and killed my deer no problems last year.I went to the range last weekend in preparation for the upcoming season and it shot great,no adjustments.Conclusion:the recoil of the 30.06 semi-auto was too much for it. I sighted my uncles lever action .243 in with it's Leopold on it and I couldn't see the holes at 50 yards,so I had to borrow a pair of reading glasses.Tomorrow I'll go to the range and try out a Model 70 in .225 bolt action with a Leopold that I haven't even fired yet.I have to admit,the 50mm Simmons has spoiled me,no spotting scope required with it.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not found a better scope for the money than the Pentax Lightseeker's. As the name implies it does gather more light than any other scope I have used. I have been told it is made for Pentax by Burris. Go into a shop & compare side by side against anyone else. Look through both & compare clarity,light & any other feature. I chose it over Leupold, Nikon, Tasco, Simmons etc.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You wouldn't put bias ply blackwall tires on a Rolls Royce nor would you put white letter Michelin radials on a manure spreader. The value and quality of the rifle should dictate scope choice. I've always been a Swarvoski fan, but the guns I have them on are deserving of such quality. I wouldn't insult a fine rifle like a Dakota or Colt Sauer with a $200 scope. I may have twitched a little when laying out the cash for those Swarvoski's.....but I'll never have to apologise for the quality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem - so do you have a formula for figuring out how much you're going to spend on a scope versus the amount of that partiuclar firearm? Say, 40%-50% of the value of the rifle is what you're going to spend on a scope? For me, that's kind of what I do. I am trying to find out if I buy a $600 hunting rifle, maybe somewhere between .243 and .270, what's the best choice for scopes in the $200-$300 range?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with Nikon. More clarity and light transfer than a Leupold and costs less. Leupold got their big name from their military contract. Who's the lowest bidder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My rule of thumb is the scope, rings, and bases should cost about the same as the rifle. A $600 rifle would probably get a nice leupold or Burris...but that's just my general rule.[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 09-14-2001).]
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BURRIS.........................................................................................................................,BURRIS!
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe I didn't explain my question as well as I could have; maybe I did and some people didn't read it. I don't personally have a problem with the scopes I purchase to put on my rifles and it's not like I don't have anything else to compare them to or the knowledge about optics to make a decent decision, but everyone has a different perspective. This isn't a question of what you think I should buy, it's opinions about rifle scopes and their relative value versus price. I've never paid anything less than $300 for any scope on any rifle, but I'd like to know what those scopes are like and if any of them are any good. I basically always buy Leupold, but that's because I know they're good. I'm just wondering if there's some other brands out there that anyone has found that perform as well as Leupold or some of the other big names that have a smaller price tag. I don't respond well to comments like "Burris........". Do you think I'm going to go to the nearest sporting goods store and say, "give me a Burris...I heard they're pretty good"? The guys asks "why"? I tell him, "because this guy on the internet said so". I could use a little reasoning and what other products everyone has to compare them against on a first-hand basis. For all I know, everyone here works for Leupold or Burris, so they only like those products. Thanks for the replies, though. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be spoiled, but since 1980 when I first ran into a 30mm scope, that is all I have used so I run toward Swarovski, Kahles, and Zeiss. The american companies only offered 1" then.All these scopes have teste to show that they stay on dead zero through the entire magnification range, are very clear, and have never caused any problems.Sometimes it is worth it wait a little while longer and pay the extra.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've found scope prices fall into three ranges...under $200 (Budget scopes), $300-$600 (mid-range) and $800-and up (Top of the line). Price is generally indicitive of the quality of optics and lenses...many of the previous mentioned companies make scopes that fall in both the mid to upper end range. There are so many choices when it comes to reticles, magnification, eye relief, and size that it is hard to point to one that fits all needs. I start with filling my list of specifications for a particular gun, then sorting out who makes the best....and let the price tag fall where it may. Swarvoski has met my requirements for rifle scopes, but until recently didn't make a pistol scope. Burris fit the ticket for my handguns, have been very happy with their products.Reminds me of purchasing archery equipment, spent about $400+ on a bow some years ago...but it took another $400+ in gadgets and accessories to get it to the field. My experience has been about the same with rifles, getting the gun is a about halfway there....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem - That's a good way to do it. I guess it all comes down to how confident you feel with the optics. You can get the best gun money can buy, but if you put a $100 scope on it, your firearm can only shoot as good as you can see. Might as well just use open sights if that's the case. I usually look for the best deals. My latest purchase for hunting rifles is a Sako Model 75 SS 300 UltraMag. I was fortunate enough to find a Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x50 mil-dot with illuminated reticle for only $400 straight from Leupold. That's what I considered a bargain and if I could have bought more, I would have. I was going to go with a Zeiss, but after I found that deal, there was no question. Thanks for all your input. You post some interesting comments that seem to take a different perspective and give excellent information to substantiate your claims. I really appreciate it.Has anyone ever purchased a Hakko to put on a hunting rifle? I met a guy at a sportsman's show earlier this year that was selling them, I looked through it and it seemed amazing...the price was right, too, but I just didn't know anything about them. I think the price range was somewhere in the $500-$600 range, but I don't remember the specs.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris,Nikon,Leupold,Pentax,B&LThe old T Weavers and the new KTThe Tasco Sniper scopesThose are all OK
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bass pro shop here in missouri had leupold vari-x II 3x9x40 gloss on sale for $177, that's the cheapest and best I have ever saw. I gave $200 wholesale for mine 5 years ago.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DaRoosta I am very sorry for the way I responded to your question.I was in a very big rush.In hinsigt I should not have respnded with out at least trying to give you a decent answer.I hunt betwen 60 and 100 days a year.I am eather traviling by off road wheel chair are four weller.I am a fanatick about my equipment.Since I usualy have a video camera over my shoulder,I have to have good equipment,Mainly cause I mess up enough on my on.I have six leupolds,same number of Simmons,And about five Tascos.I just put a lot into bulding a long range rifle.Beleve me I spent many hours making my scope decision.I went with the Burris Black Diamond.The day in came in we had a tropical depression sitting on us dumping four inches of rain a hour.I grabed a leupold vari x 3,a zeiss and the burris and WE went and sat in the rain for two hours.At times the white target was not visable to the naked eye at 100 yrds.As it got darker and the raingot even harder,I went from scope to scope.With hardly any light and driving rain the Burris was unbelevable.Not only could I see the target I could have split a cockroach into if he had been there.The other brands were totaly out of the running.By the way the Burris scope and my rifle won a 1000yrd match in AZ last weekend.My gear has to suffer through a lot,All future scopes on my rifles will be BUrris.I have had Leupolds on my rifles for the last thirty years,Nothing wrong with them,IN MY OPINION I have foud better.Maybe this was more than you wonted,But it is why I said Burris.The next time I will answer your Question with the respect you deserve.Thanks RONNIE
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know your budget and requirements better than any of us. I once bought a rifle and waited a year to save the money for a scope.I worked for 10 years for a stocking Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Leopold, Bushnell, Burris dealer and every customer swore by their own particular brand of scope.Optics and quality control are getting better for most of the companies and most, if not all, seem to offer lifetime warrantees now.The main problem we have found with all of the budget and some of the mid range scopes, and this was using a laboratory test device. When running through the variable power range, the cross hairs would wonder through the test grid. In some cases, it would have made a 5+" difference at 100 yards in the point of aim.Good luck....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    VH - No hard feelings, and I wasn't upset. In hindsight, it kind of sounds like I flew off the handle and I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was making an example of you. That's really not my style and I apologize. It kind of woke me up to the fact that I probably should have clarified my question a little bit better. I understand your circumstance. That was terrific information about the Burris. How much does that thing cost? I'm guessing it's much more reasonably priced than the others you mentioned. Field testing is always the way to do it. Unfortunately, it's not an option unless you buy it first. I'm the type of guy who puts a considerable amount of money down for my hunting gear. I want to make sure I can trust it. I want to increase my collection (if you can call it that), but I don't necessarily want to spend a ton of extra money that I don't have to be spending. If you found a scope that you believe is better than some of the higher-priced brands, that's exactly what I want to hear about. Great info.
    JWhite2399@cs.com Southern Oregon
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have sold alot of optics. Have learned a little about optics, and mounting systems. Have even designed my own mounting system. If I could only sell one line (market six now-NO cheapies) that had to cover all markets it would be only....Burris. There are many reasons, but the Black Diamond is equal to most any Euro manufacturer. So are many Signature models.A Fullfield has better sharpness, and holds adjustments better than Leupolds's VXII, a little heavier but so are 'waterproof/insulated boots'.Let me share one very important feature...... 100% AMERICAN MADE!Glass, to 'O' rings. Don't you dare think that we don't/can't compete. I'm not blindly waving the 'Flag', or jumping on the 'Patriotic Bandwagon' (was in Canada this week). Burris has done a great job. They just don't market as well as the 'big L', or have/had BS sales litature. Heck, they were multicoating scopes before Leupold, and made the First 100% ALL Titanium scope-Mr.T.Do they have problems like any other company-yes, but they make it right.Try 'em you'll like 'em. Especially Black Diamonds, Signatures, and Electro Dots. Just ask...the Varmit Hunter.
    Happy Bullet Holes!