In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best rings/bases

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I just bought my second scope. I've always been an iron-sights kind of guy but my recent rifle purchase necessitates a scope. I bought a Winchester Mod 70 Black Shadow in .270 and a Leupold Vari-X II in 3-9X40. What is the best combination of rings/bases to purchase for this setup?

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The late Leonard Brownell designed the original Kimber quick release style with lever on the side, these could be reinstalled and return the scope to zero. Later Kimber took the design, then Warne has a modified version. I have them on all my units, and swear by them.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to leave the scope on get Conetrol mount and rings.If you want deatachable get the Leupold mount and their QRW ringscpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cpermed is right about the Conetrol, probably the most beautiful clean looking rings ever made. I almost forgot I have them on a Colt Sauer with 30mm Swarovski scope.I'm a real fan of the quick detach units, have 2 guns where I use 1 scope with 1 set of rings. Both guns have the bases spaced exactly the same. Had these custom made...I just move the scope from one gun to the other and only have to adjust the elevation. This allowed me to justify the purchase of one high dollar upper end scope rather than buying two. Have also used the quick detach on pistol scopes, then if I want to holster the unit or use open sights....just slide the scope off. Many African big game hunters use this approach by sighting in two scopes for the same gun...if one becomes damaged or dropped, slide the second one on and you're ready to hunt. Works great if you wish to switch from a red dot to a crosshair and back again.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Rem,all I can see in my mind right now,is you sitting in your study,in a smokin` jacket,pettin` them fine rifles of yours. Man if I had your kinda scratch,I`d be pettin` some fine ones too!
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beekeep, the only reason I got a few nice ones is that I never took up smoking and drinking. Had all that extra vice money laying around, had to spend it on something. Now I did chase women, well sort of....and only one though...Mrs Rembrandt...she caught me made a hardworking husband, father, taxpayer, and mortage holder out of me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Them West Virginia gals will do that.[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me see if I`ve got it right....you chased her,and she caught you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep! that's just about the way it happened.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come ta think about it,that`s the way Mrs 218 did it!?!? Ya ever feel like we`ve taken over someones thread?I`ve noticed it a few times.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't sweat taking over the thread. I don't have much experience with scopes because I've never bothered with them much. My first scope was a cheapie and I've had a bad taste in my mouth for them ever since. Now I have a half-way decent Leupold and I guess it's time to start learning about bases and rings. I always thought they all did pretty much the same job. Now I'm looking at www.conetrol.com and trying to decide which set I want.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just talk to George there.Get the ones that match the finish on your gun.And yes,I am always right.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whatever the case ,I like 1 piece bases,and low rings.Those are fine rings(conetrols) your`re looking at.Redfields are a great bargain for good rings.
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always heard millett were really good rings and bases.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strongest combination is the old fashioned Weaver style, aka,...cross slot,Zee, Picatinny, etc. There is nothing stronger.Warne has the best selection, with the Maxima Series(sintered metal) being stronger than cut steel. Warne also makes rings for a famous over priced scope company.Burris Signature Zee is the best all around, as it is a cross slot style, but has a Patented synthetic sleeve that acts like a gimbel bearing reducing stress on the scope to zero. It's clamping power is equal to that of a align bored/lapped ring job. Another super strong system is the B-SQUARE Lynx, another stress reducing style. Dual Dovetail is another super strong style,but really requires lapping/align bore.I have used the Control a beautiful style ring, but it is not as strong as a cross slot, dual dovetail etc. But beautiful it is.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been on Brownell's web page and I've narrowed it down to a pair of Warne Premier Series Permanant Mount Rings and a one-piece base. However, I can't tell if the base is manufactured by Warne. It only says "One Piece Base for Warne Rings". Can someone check it out if I list the stock # and tell me who the manufacturer is? Also, if I want the lowest mount possible, should I go with "Low" "Medium" or "High"? I guess I'm concerned whether or not the "Low" will give me enough clearance between the scope and the barrel.#947-408-000 and#947-303-012[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 09-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rule out the highs,for sure!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know the spacing between the rear tappings for the most recent production Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow? The bases that I am looking at offer .330" and .440". I don't have a caliper by which to measure this.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Premier Series is two piece. Don't be afraid of two piece. If the receiver can't handle the stress load the one piece base can't. Two piece is cleaner, more stylish, and easier to load.Plus if your scope is strong enough you can hold the rifle by the scope inbetween the rings.I sell more Warne systems than all others combined. E-mail me @ jabsao@msn.com for $$.
    Happy Bullet Holes!PS. You can use medium rings for a little barrel clearance, but low will work.Stock design is more critical to reducing 'felt recoil' than ring height.[This message has been edited by Guns & Glass (edited 09-16-2001).]