In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm broke and giveing up

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
For the last year we have been just getting by. But now that has changed. there has not been any Carpentry work for some time. I thought I could make it with the home inspection business. But after spending a lot of money I have had only one call. And that was a guy looking for a $20.00 Inspection on a double wide.
I bought the truck last year thinking that it would make enough money to keep the bills paid untill the Home Inspection business took off. I was wrong about that. It did not even bring in enough to pay me drivers wages. And now it looks like I am going to be sitting for some time again. Last time it was 10 days.
I just took a look at our finances.
$3.00 in pocket
$14.00 in bank
$0.00 on credit card
$35.00 in change jar????
1/2 tank of gas in Toolhauler
1/8 tank fuel in the semi

Around $200.00 still to pay in bills this month. Including telophone.
$198.00 Insurance due on the Toolhauler this friday.

Toolbabe and I are discussing getting out while we can. Classic and BR think that we should sell what we can and move back to FL. There seems to be some money down there to be made. There sure isint any here.
I am thinking of takeing the semi to an auction next Tuesday. Letting it go for whatever it brings. And taking the Goats to auction also. That would be Friday night. Then maybe rounding up a lot of tools I dont use much and take them to the flea market.
Then board up the house and leave. I would sell it. But it is not worth what I owe. I have spent around $100,000 on it so far. And thats not counting labor. I owe $50,000. The last time I talked to a realator that said thay would try to get $25,000. I could not belive this.
I wish I could think of something to do. I have looked into leasing the truck to other companys but no one is takeing owner operators. I cant seem to get a job anywhere.
TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

Comments

• concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, Tools, that is bad news.

Things are getting tough all over the country but it sounds like it's worse where you are.

I might recommend selling stuff you don't use or can live without on eBay (I know, I know). You might get more $$ than at a flea market.

I wish I could help. Unfortunately, things aren't going so well these days for us in Michigan either. [:(]

Good luck,
    G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    ya know Tools, it wont be long until there are no jobs other than service jobs, IE Waitress, Wal mart Kmart cashiers, cooks, cab drivers, and so on, The Elite stock holders in all the companies that moved overseas will be living high, and we will be here to serve them..

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools, sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a friend that drives for a courier service up here, seems to be pretty good money in it. Any chance there is something like that down there?

What part of SC you near?

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Tools, check your e-mail....I sent you some prospects, but it would require you to move a few miles. [:D]

aliens.jpg
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's absolutely horrible!

I'm powerful sorry to hear how badly things have gone south for you and your missus---hopefully, you can carry through with the possible move back to Florida. Jeez, I HATE seeing things like this happen to people...

Thanks for the jobless recovery, President Bush. Say "hello" to another beneficiary of your glorious economic strategy...
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Well Tools, there is not a whole lot going on down there. What happened with the Lowes job?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    What about getting a job for the County Building Dept, where you live? They usually pay decent and have pretty good benefits. My cousin used to head up the building dept in Loudoun County VA. He has now stepped down from the head position b/c of the head ache of dealing with angry homeowners/contractors, but still works in plans review...and he is doing pretty well financially. I'm a builder and I am in a similar boat, money wise, but with about 15-18 times your monthly bills[B)][B)] Buisness has been slow, and the weather has been terrible, but it's starting to pick back up...and I'm starting to dig myself out of this hole. Don't give up. They say that most self made millionare's have been bankrupt, or at the verge of it, at least once in their lives. The key to their success is drive. Hope the best for you![:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you hate where you live (for good reasons). Any chance of commuting to keep your home? Also, try selling your home "by owner". You might also, check home adds to try to get an idea of the market(which probably sucks do to lack of jobs). Other than that, I hate to say it, but it sounds like starting over. So get the hell out of Dodge. Start anew, and try to remain positive and remember, You got a good girl beside you which is worth more than gold. Good luck man and remember, It's just as important to know when to get out as it is to hang in.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools, I know you don't want to do it and these companies will get you some laughs but man if you have to do it you have to do it. Christ man I hate driving truck as much as you do but when the bills are due they are due, that CDL you hold is worth money!!!!!!!! You can go with JB. Hunt, they have regional work close by you down there as well as Swift and Schnieder. Even if only temporary driving a truck will get you out of the hole, you can easily make $600 per week bring home pay and be home a few times a week and weekends. Do it man, it's far better than giving up and losing your credit! Take it from another truck driver who has given up once before and lost a truck, I had a good thing with my Kenworth when leased to TRL and gave it up, I'm still paying for that. You give up on your home you are doomed for a long time! Don't give up, swallow your pride and go drive, you have a home that can be saved if you do this. We talked about this before and I know about the med problem and the verifiable exp in the last 10 years, that is a small hurdle that can be overcome! Don't give up, you got a great place there with alot of potential, you get back behind the wheel for a short spell and you can get out of the hole!

I know I sound kinda arrogant and pushy and I apologize for sounding that way but you need to do something and that CDL is the ticket to help you! I want out of trucking so bad but untill I can afford a lower paying job I'm stuck, it pays the friggin bills and that is what matters!!!!! Take it from me, bankruptcy and repossesions SUCK!!! 8 years ago I gave up and I wish I never would have! if you want the phone numbers I can get them for you. Schnieder just opened up a terminal in Atlanta, not far from you and you can get a decent regional job out of there, if the verifiable experiance holds you back, ride with a trainer for a week and show him you can drive, he will cut you loose into your own truck! As far as the med, it won't keep you from driving, just need to communicate to your driver manager that you cannot go long haul. It will work out. I'm not harping on you to be a d!#k, I care man. Make the calls!

Email me about the Volvo and let's see if we can deal on it. I can most likely put it to work up here hauling trash. We can make a deal better than what you will get at auction, you will end up selling that truck for $1000 if you take it there. I would log onto MSN Messenger and chat but have been having problems with it on this machine. Email me!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Kip
    7mm sounds like the best advice on this issue. Bankruptcy follows you for 7 yrs and in that time you can't buy bubble gum on credit. Be very careful.
    I've learned that you do what you have to do to make it in life and the only guarantees are, there are NO guarantees.
    Think carefully before you act and be sure. Don't however, think you are alone in the money trouble route, very many of us here have fought off the wolves. But for the grace of GOD, there goe one of us. You and Lin are in my prayers

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to admit you do live in a remote area.7mm nut gave some good advice till you find the right job. I always thought CDL drivers got a sign on bonus. If there isn't any work now for your truck I wouldn't pay the insurance on it. If you go to another area close by I would rent out the house to someone. Sounds dumb but I would let them finish it up for rent. Then your investment will be worth more rather than leaving it sit. Sell anything you absolutely don't need for now.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I can only hope and pray for you and your family. I wish there was more I could do. Just keep on trying, and know that a lot of us are pulling for you.

Have you tried visiting local realtors to see if you can get inspection work from them?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks tools. I hope things change soon for you and your family.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i feel your pain i'm in the shoes you are in right now.pretty soon i'm gonna have to sell a few guns to make rent

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Tools, it sucks but only you know what you have to do for your family. It is odd but here in KY, central Ky 40 miles west of me, there is a lot of new home building going on. Lexington Ky was actually advertising for housing inspectors to work for local government. I have a friend that graduated High School with me in 78 who lives in Brooksville Fl. He is a forman for a construction company out of Tampa and he was telling me the last time I saw him that they were real busy with new constructions. Good luck in what ever you do.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to sell my truck and move over 12 yaers ago because I was in the same shape. I moved from Ks. to Ga. to start over at a minimum wage job to make ends meet. Was not easy but I payed everything off and only bought what I could afford. My pickup quit so I found a old beater that ran and bought it. Just kept pouring oil in her to get by. I finaly found a good job and have worked my way into being the manager of a large farm. I am not rich but I get what I want when I want. So I guess what I am saying is sometimes you have to throw in the towel and find a easier fight. At least keep the faith and if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know. Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Tools, man if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. For a young man Lonnie gave you some awful sage wisdom. That CDL can be a real good meal ticket. Might not be working for who you want to, doing what you want or where you want to do it but it sure can keep the bills paid. Best of luck to you.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seperate wants from needs. sell your wants all of them! yes, all the guns too. keep one. keep your needs. write your bill collectors, tell them you will pay. even if its 5.00, do it. reduce yourself to your basic survival needs. food clothing shelter. guard them as if your life depends on them. forget social needs. take any job until you find a better one. somethings better than nothing. troubles will follow you. there is no heaven on earth. every place has problems waiting for you, but fyi, there isnt any state income taxes in florida, n. hampshire, texas, and tenn.. keep you health and your families and dont be so proud to take some of that free stuff the democrates offer. shop goodwill, i do. im not ashamed. all my clothes on my back are 99 cents ea.. live within the law, pray for Gods help and remember, you are NOT the only one going thru this. you can do it. im pulling for you.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools, log on to www.cardinal.com and see what they have in your area. The trucks are new, the work is easy, and the benefits and pay are good. You won't be your own boss, but it beats cashing out and starting over from scratch. Good luck, TRAP
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look to the City or county for work,They dont pay much in most cases but always offer great benefets and security.
    Being you have a CDL go to your states Department of transportation
    they are ALWAYS looking for CDL drivers,Most CDL's dont take the DOT job because of the lower wages. It would be great to get that job and have your side thing going.
    Good Luck to you, AND CHECK WITH THE D.O.T.

use_deer.jpg
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    You can NEVER give up, NEVER!!!!!!!!

You gotta do what you gotta do.

You aint the first and you aint gonna be the last.

Lonnie has some real good, solid advice.

You can do it man.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a reasonably distinguished background and good experience and HR people are not my friends these days. Getting hired, making a deal for a suitable position, has nothing to do with merit anymore, it has to do with what "the successful candidate" is willing to put up with. I was telling the folks last night that employers seem to prefer entry level people that they can push around to people who can offer them some kind of professional skill and managerial ability.

The worse it gets, the more I rely upon my own self-respect and self-confidence, because sitting home is no fun, but it's better than taking a lot of crap from know-nothings at my age. I say, do what you have to do to survive and never apologize for it. The way things are is not your fault or mine, and I refuse to pretend it is. Good luck. I wouldn't have thought Florida was a more prosperous choice, though. Are you sure about that?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Tools

We have all been down and out. Unless you were born with a silver spoon up your well you know.

Now is not the time to give up. Maybe move on, but not give up.

People care. People depend upon you.

Never give up Tools. NEVER GIVE UP!

You are getting some good advice here. Everyone wants to help. If you can swing a hammer and pound a nail, there is work. You may have to relocate, but starting over is not giving up, it is moving on.

Hang in there. Promise us all that you will hang in there and not give up the fight.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Tools,
    I sympathize with you in your situation.
    I've been there before and still sometimes feel like I'm too close to
    it to feel comfortable.
    Are you caught up in some kind of regional economic collapse??
    I saw that happen in the NW when the stinking environmentalists and
    federal courts shut down the timber industry.
    I just don't understand how else a piece of property that you've put $100,000 into and still owe $50,000 on can now be worth only $25,000!!
    H&LL, $25,000 wouldn't pay the impact fees and building permit fees in
    the county where I live.
    The smallest of building lots is $50,000 - $75,000 around here.

quote:
    ya know Tools, it wont be long until there are no
    jobs other than service jobs, IE Waitress, Wal mart Kmart
    cashiers, cooks, cab drivers, and so on, The Elite stock
    holders in all the companies that moved overseas will
    be living high, and we will be here to serve them..

Classic,
    Don't forget about the government employees and self important
    "public servants"! Their jobs will ALSO be secure and we will be there to justify their worthless existence. [V]
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truly sorry about the state your in.

There is some very good advice given by:
    * bobski,
    * dcon12,
    fishermanben,
    * 7mm Nut,
    and plains scout.

* Their advice is especially difficult at this time, but very wise!

If important things and decisions in life were easy, anyone could do them.
    One of the first things in seperating a man from a boy is the seperation of his toys.

Your family comes first. It's our responsibility as men, husbands, and fathers.

Don't just read the advise given....obey it. Strong words...yes. But if you follow it, you'll be ok eventually.

Stay legal, and moral, in all you do to maintain your personal dignity, and that of family, and friends.

Learn from the experiences.
    Copy the good things others who have had very difficult times had done.

What are the last three letters in the word friend? A true friend will do, and say what's needed to help even if it hurts to do and say it. That's because your best interest is at heart.

Obviously there are people here who know you, and care about you and your family.

Chin UP !

Happy Bullet Holes!