In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jersey Mikes

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I should have noticed sooner, when I go into Jersey Mikes here locally the employees look like people you wouldn't mind your own child bringing home.

Sadly most other restaurants in this area employee people who do not fit that description, not talking just fast food either. Most of the national chain sit down restaurants are faced with the same shortage of quality staff for what they are willing to pay.

I assume either the local franchisee of Mike's is either very particular and careful or pay's significantly more than the average.

My wife brought up that Chick Filet seems to be on the same scale and I did see a sign on their marquee advertising employment starting at 11-14 dollars an hour.

Jersey Mike's isn't the least expensive place to grab a sandwich but I feel confident and safe that the one I get there is prepared in front of me in a clean environment with decent ingredients.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just had a taco bell open up in small town across the river. seems like half the town got sick after the grand opening. come to find out one of the employees had hepatitus,ended up so did half the town....[xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not impressed with Jersey Mike's sandwiches, but I can vouch that both the food and the people are top notch at Firehouse Subs.

Perhaps the reason the scum crowd hates Chik-Fil-A is that the chain hires only good wholesome people.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    just had a taco bell open up in small town across the river. seems like half the town got sick after the grand opening. come to find out one of the employees had hepatitus,ended up so did half the town....[xx(][xx(]

Why do you have to bring me down? [xx(] I've been excited about the Taco Bell currently under construction in our small Town. Love me some cheap Tacos. [:p][:D]

Damn you.................[V]
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have to think and ask questions at Jersey Mikes and Firehouse.
    Leaves 1/2 the country out immediately.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry Ken, but since I retired I tend to look back in the back, or "kitchen" if possible, if the staff looks to be "undesirables" I will walk out and go find another place. There are quite a few eating establishments in town I won't go to anymore, may just be me but I have enough health problems don't need anymore....[;)]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Jersey Mike's Chipotle steak sub....delish...and i love the shredded lettuce they use and it is crisp and cold...reminds of subs when I was kid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry Ken, but since I retired I tend to look back in the back, or "kitchen" if possible, if the staff looks to be "undesirables" I will walk out and go find another place. There are quite a few eating establishments in town I won't go to anymore, may just be me but I have enough health problems don't need anymore....[;)]

You have (unfortunately for me,) taken quite a bit of the luster off of the Grand Opening of the local Taco Bell. [:(]

Watch a movie called "Waiting." Freakin' hysterical. Especially if you have worked in restaurants before. Too funny.

"She wants more Parmesian? Here is some more Parmesian." As he shakes more dandruff onto her Spaghetti. [:0][B)][xx(]

Being a total AH to people making and serving your food is somewhat counter-productive. [xx(] [V]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow now I feel let down or deceived....

Being from New Jersey and with my first name I thought for certain that this thread topic was directed my way - perhaps a firearm data request or a health inquiry...

[;)][;)][;)]

Mike
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
    edited November -1
    There are no Jersey Mikes or Chic Filet's anywhere near where I live.

When you retire to the sticks you'd better enjoy home cook'n or the few mom & pop joints that are around![:p]
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should get a job at Taco Bell cooking as much as you like to cook. Only don't cook that crap on their menu just cook what you like cause their food all sucks. You pull up to their gigantic menu with 3000 items and after a couple of times eating there you realise it all takes the same. Like crap. When folks pull up to order just say we don't sell that crap on the menu board but we have some lovely Velveeta Mac and Cheese with Spam chunks.Or maybe you would prefer some bar b q ribs? quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

You have (unfortunately for me,) taken quite a bit of the luster off of the Grand Opening of the local Taco Bell. [:(]

Watch a movie called "Waiting." Freakin' hysterical. Especially if you have worked in restaurants before. Too funny.

"She wants more Parmesian? Here is some more Parmesian." As he shakes more dandruff onto her Spaghetti. [:0][B)][xx(]

Being a total AH to people making and serving your food is somewhat counter-productive. [xx(] [V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    You should get a job at Taco Bell cooking as much as you like to cook. Only don't cook that crap on their menu just cook what you like cause their food all sucks. You pull up to their gigantic menu with 3000 items and after a couple of times eating there you realise it all takes the same. Like crap. When folks pull up to order just say we don't sell that crap on the menu board but we have some lovely Velveeta Mac and Cheese with Spam chunks.Or maybe you would prefer some bar b q ribs? quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

Taco Bell tastes like Crap? Bite your tongue you NC Heathen. [}:)]

I've been saying for 3-4 years now, this town needs a Taco Bell, and an Arby's. One down, one to go. [:D]

Mmmnnnm.......cheap Taco's.[:D]
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least Arby's has bit of variety and I like the potato cakes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I must protest strenuously...

I think that I have earned the rights to / have the patent on the term "Jersey Mike" on this forums discussion boards

Mike
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, no. Your moniker should be "Joisy Mike" I mean, if you're gonna say it, you might as well say it the way the locals do.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was born in a hospital in Concord and we lived in Lowell Massachusetts until I was 5

Dairy farms and paper mills and downtown Lowell

Then right before the bicentennial we relocated to south Jersey

My mother's side of the family was Dutch / German from Florence NJ rural farm land and my father's side of the family was Irish Catholic from Philadelphia

I don't have a Jersey accent or a new England inflection that's noticeable - but I am a Yankee from the north east...

I am not a Jersey Shore * white trash loser

I am not a south Park stereo type Jersey loser

Mike
  • Options
    farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I was born in a hospital in Concord and we lived in Lowell Massachusetts until I was 5

Dairy farms and paper mills and downtown Lowell

Then right before the bicentennial we relocated to south Jersey

South Jersey is not the "Joisy" most people in the other 49 states think about when they hear New Jersey. Southern and even middle NJ are not stereotypical Jersey.

Jersey Mikes is opening up places near me now, and I've been in once. Have to say it was pretty good. Better than Jimmy John's, IMO, by far. To be fair, though, we have a lot of decent local mom&pop hoagie/sub places near me.

And Jersey Mikes is nowhere near as good as White House Subs in Atlantic City, which I assume (could be wrong) might be what they are trying to aspire to. White House subs are exceptional. If you are in south Jersey, you've probably had them, Mike, correct?