In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Am I Seeing Here???......

RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Is this new Software slower? Seems so to me. I wait and wait....then it sort of "putts along." Nothing else on my computer has the "slows" so what am I seeing here?

Is this better? Worse?

If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well, well, .. WELL! Very Interesting developments here! Along with this new software, I see the "Initiation of a Caste System." I see they are deciding in some manner, whether or not to assign a "Descriptive Name" to those participating. Now I simply ask one question I find important: "Who gave anyone on this site the right to suddenly assign someone participating a name?" Especially a name, which I find derogatory? On the old software, I saw everyone described as a "Member." I signed up and was called a "Member." No harm in that, I guess.

I question who gave anyone the right to assign the name, "Junior Member" to me and to my name, arbitrarily and derogatorily, just because they change their software? I had some respect for these folks, but obviously, they have none for me. I never gave anyone the right to call me "JUNIOR" anything, and I am very Offended by this. If anyone of you put your pants on any differently than I do, or if you feel you are somehow "more equal" than I am, then I have a message for you....... "Take your JUNIOR and ..... it up your .....!!!!

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've noticed the same slow down. Maybe its a gentle reminder to get a better computer????
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ranchero -

I've been to a site that takes it a step further. Not only do they have arbitrary "titles" (although they have names with a bit of humor, not like these), but the number of stars a member has by his name depends on how the rest of the members feel about him. You rate each other, one star is the worst rating, five stars (or maybe six, don't remember) is the best.

Now, THAT'S a demeaning system, opens the way for lots of hard feelings, but at least members have the option to disable it so their stars don't show.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Sticks and Stones will break your bones, but Names will never hurt you!" That may be true, but some names Piss me Off! "Junior" offends me very, very much!!!! Anyone that calls me "Junior" is guilty of escalating violence towards me. My Call! It is demeaning to me and therefore it can not be justified, in my opinion.

I am a "Customer" of this site. I sell here and I pay my bill! Someone needs to realize many others here are the same as I am. Somehow I am having a very hard time understanding why someone would start calling their Customers Names. Which one of us is being called "Mr. *" behind our back? What else am I and others being called? It could be they might be able to call a lot of us "EX-CUSTOMER!"

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RANCHERO PAUL- Lighten up junior.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me just say this Mr. Salzo.....you weren't given my permission to call me anything...especially "Junior." May I ask what "ADVANCED" means? You have a special way to put on your pants, maybe? This will indeed my last Post on this site! I hereby grant my permission to you and the rest of the A$$holes to call me: "MR. JUNIOR EX-CUSTOMER!"

• Options
    edited November -1
    You leaving Ranchero? Good! Another trophy for my trophy room.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    RancheroPaul: just want to say THANK YOU for having the guts to say what needs to be said, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Ranchero Paul"- A martyr for the cause of removing the caste system at gunbroker. Sacrificed his ability to have fun posting on GUNBROKER, to make a statement for all of the other "juniors" on GUNBROKER. Pullease.. You guys are a bunch of crybabies.
    Ranchero is just another mount on my wall-and I must say, he went down easier than anyone else on my wall.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand what the big deal is. We're all guests on this forum, we don't own it. GB makes the rules and decides what software to use. If being called "junior member" or any other member name hurts your second little feeling on the the left you've got a problem, not GB. (body armor on and heading for the bunker - fire away-you'll miss.)

PC=BS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am not going to say it-But the "C" and "S" word are resounding.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    etc12819etc12819 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez, must be a full moon, huh? If anyone had a complaint about there "name" it should be me. Not only am I a Junior, but also etc12819. Now is that a name or what? You younger guys need to chill out and take life a little easier. And I will just stand here and take some flaming if it comes, to old to move very fast to get out of the way anyway.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems much ado about nothing. Did I hear the screen door slam? Or was it muffled?

wundudnee..............junior heheheheheeeeeee!

"It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human." Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    gunner@nwinet.comgunner@nwinet.com Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too find the assignment of "Junior Member" status demeaning. Does whoever assigned this title know anything about my experience and longevity in the Weapons Field or is the fact I haven't spent a lot of time on my * in front of a computor BSing on these forums the determining factor?
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    What's the big deal? Calling someone a "junior member" doesn't seem offensive to me. Now, if they were saying you HAD a "junior member"...well, maybe them'd be fightin' words.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Testing junior members new signature line.
    Lowrider (had?)

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

To the stars through difficulty
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really, fellas, we all (most? some?) need to step back and think about this for a second.

Whether we agree with the "titles" that were chosen is of no consequence here. They are here unless and until Admin chooses otherwise. If you are going to stay or go based on this, you are certainly within your rights.

You have to remember one thing, however - the "titles" don't mean a THING other than how many posts you have made on this forum. Nothing more, nothing less. Hell, I've been a member here longer than lots of those with more posts and loftier "titles" than me. I couldn't care less, just means that they have more time on their hands than I do, so what, more power to them.

This is just something new to us, the novelty will wear off in time, I would think.

One more thing, it certainly seems that most of the members who are at the higher levels see it as the non-issue that it is. Think about it, anybody whose ego is GENUINELY (not tongue in cheek) stroked by any "title" by their name has bigger problems anyway!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was realllllllly hoping that Mr. Junior was kidding....but apparently not.

Sheesh.......get some thicker skin, will ya?

Being so touchy about something stupid is how we ended up with all this "PC" crap!

Pull your head out, and THINK! IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT ISN'T A BIG DEAL!

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am listed as a junior member and could care less, WE are here to share our experiences and knowledge, sounds like he either had a bad day or a rough childhood, either way get over it.
  • Options
    davcondavcon Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who cares about titles? Heck I have been a member for about 4 or 5 months and only have 20 posts. At this rate I'll be a starting member for a long time! I come here all the time, just don't post much.

davcon the quiet
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Senior Members get one of those cards that gives
    them 15% off on their meals at the Sirloin Stockade, this
    is post descrimination . Starting members still have
    to pay full price at the buffet!!!

It's not the number of your stars that count,,it's the size of your moon.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would trade my senior title for any of your junior titles any day. Human beings are the dumbest people on earth!
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    RancheroPaul? You could have been "Elcamino Paul" but you're still a junior here!! Just how bigga boy are you? GHD
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To think your 'status' on an 'effin' message board ranks high enough in you estimation of yourself to even mention it is astounding.

Good grief, troop, look at yourself!

I'm with rosie, I'd trade anything I own to be junior again.

Clouder..
  • Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez! I guess this makes me "pond scum" I kinda like it!

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can not believe that some people are equating their member status to their status in,what,the gun culture??GIVE ME A BREAK.THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD,YOU ARE A MEMBER ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD,YOUR MEMBER STATUS IS BASED ON YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS MESSAGE BOARD,NOTHING MORE,NOTHING LESS.
    Why would someone be insulted by their "member status"?,do they feel as though their manhood is being attacked??.I think there are some LARGE ego's lurking on these boards who just may be a tad too thin skinned to be here.Wait till Dano gets ahold of ya'

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    & way in the background you can hear this keening sound (some call it a whine).
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I can not believe that some people are equating their member status to their status in,what,the gun culture??GIVE ME A BREAK.

Let me try to make a point. If my dad or granddad where alive they have the right to call me junior, noboby else does period.
    RancheroPaul and Gunner said they found the use of it derogatory, some people just don't like the title. If the rest of you would have left it alone it would have been done with at that point but no alot of you guys just had to take a shot at them, just had to make fun of what they had to say. You know I was raised that if you can't say something nice about a person you keep you da** mouth shut!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lowrider - You peeked.
  • Options
    gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You said it, "G-hawk", pretty well my sentiments too. This board has at times faded off of practiced intent,...but, now. it seems to be cascading away.
    I don't blame Ranch-paul one damn bit for his lash back, somebodys just gotta know that other feelings and opinions are around, and it shouldn't be held in contempt when something other than a fawning fall-in line is presented.
    That damn eletist crap is evidently going ok with the majority, but, don't let it be a shock if 100% wide-eyed head nodding isn't shown.
    Live with it.

Bob
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand all the fuss. Maybe I am just not sensitive enough. If I start anything new, with people that have been doing it awhile, then I am subject to being called Junior. Does it bother me? Not in the least. I don't believe anyone that monitors this forum is dumb enough to believe that if you just started posting, you don't know shi# about what your saying. It just means that your just begining to share your knowledge and experience with us. Not that you don't have any.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA and all around good guy.
  • Options
    Lone WolfeLone Wolfe Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK my Real name ends with Junior so what yall think about that? I have been called Jr all my 33 yrs
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Somebody sounds like a liberal. "Idon't like the stars, that makes me a victim, let's go ban something!"

Give it a rest. Freedom of speech requires collateral costs, give and take if you will. Give more to the board and they give you more stars, take off whining and some of us will take the time to make fun of you for being an offended sissy.

It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Ok guys; here it goes, Im a junior and it doesn't seem to bother me all that much. I find that the system workes if you let it; I use this to quickly tell me if the poster is for real on a question or is a idiot. Not always accurate, but it works faster than looking up profiles to tell if someone is trolling for fun or honestly looking for help! Use it for good if you can, if not I suppose you'll have to deal with it, most other sights use the same or nearly the same system.

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey1 is cool,,!!!!

It's not the number of your stars that count,,it's the size of your moon.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right on Will270, let's go sue somebody. Sheeeeesh.

Clouder..

Edited by - whiteclouder on 04/13/2002 14:29:22
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! That's Mister Junior to you! Show some respect.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its amazing how sensitive some people are to little things like this. I work at a repair shop where I frequently have to fill out forms with peoples names. I think we have all noticed how a persons name is being spelled differently now than it was in the past.(ex. Sean, Shaun, Shawn) If I spell their name incorrectly they act like I personally insulted them. I think a lot of people need to lighten up a bit.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! Let's start a class action lawsuit against Gunbroker.com for the "defamation" contained in the titles! I'm sure we could find plenty of lawyers to help--probably could shut the board down in about a week!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Creed:

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don' pet the sweaty stuff. wundudnee......junior

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

To the stars through difficulty
    standard.jpg