In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bear vs Martial Arts

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
http://www.fftimes.com/index.php/3/2005-05-30/21415

Hiker uses martial arts to fight off grizzly bear
May 30, 2005

Luckily, the bear didn't have his black belt.

An Alberta man on a Bible retreat successfully used his Brazilian martial arts training on the weekend to fend off a charging grizzly.

Lyle Simpson was hiking through the bush with friends west of Calgary on Saturday when the bruin started chasing him, he said.

"It just burst out of the bush, charging right away. There wasn't much time to think," said Simpson, 32, who added there was a cub nearby.

The hikers quickly ran in different directions, but as Simpson was trying to escape, he tripped and landed on his back.

"I put my arm up as the bear was coming on down towards me. The bear tried to bite my arm."

That's when Simpson's training instincts took over and he kicked the bear in the face.

"I think I stunned it just enough. I really think it saved me from a mauling."

The friends quickly re-grouped and made the 15-minute trek back to Whispering Pines Bible camp.

Simpson needed six stitches to close the wound from the bear's bite and has a painful * on his hip.

"My shorts look like they've been cut with scissors.," he said.

NewRuger.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:"My shorts look like they've been cut with scissors.," he said.

I'll bet his shorts looked different than that![;)][:D]

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    He kicked it once in the face and it just stopped, weird.
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    quote:"My shorts look like they've been cut with scissors.," he said.

They would have to have the environmental bunch in Zoot Suits just to touch them..

texas.gifwaco.gif
    "I aspire to inspire before I expire"
    www.texasminutemen.org