In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Navy people-question?

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I notice that on some battleships and others that there are a series of small flags that appear to be signal flags of some sort.Which one is the "war or battle" signal flag?[preferrable battle signal]

Comments

• Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Signel Flags USN:If you are asking about the ships you see TV leaving port. etc. The flag hoist you see is the ships call sign. Always with (N) November on top. (N) for Navy.Take a look at one of my websites and see a ships call sign. There is no "Battle Flag"However there are unoffical "House flags"Also on my web site http://GuadalupeAO32.tripod.com/index1.htm
    Guns Free...Shoot...Shoot...ShootSemper Paratus [This message has been edited by bfair (edited 09-18-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought that when a task force was about to attack or engage in battle that the flag ship would raise a series of these flags to alert all the other ships.Matbe i am thinking of an older navy circa WWII
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When ships are steaming in "Battle Formation"Maneuvering (Speed course etc) Are signaled by the Flagship to other ships in the formation. Each flag has a special meaning also.Check the site: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/communications/flags/flags.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking for a battle flag to raise with the national ensign.Don't look like i am having much luck.I may have to settle for this one....
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a former CO Afloat I think I can answer this one. Normally if a ship were going into battle as a tradition it would actually raise it "Holiday Colors" which is nothing more than the colors usually flown on the ship on a Sunday inport. It just the National Ensign but larger than everyday colors. For meanings to the various signal flags you need to look into the Navy publication H.O. 102. My favorite is "AD28"..which means "splice the main brace". It actually had a nautical connotation two hundred years ago...now it's just an excuse to have a drink. Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It appears that some modern day ships have thir own unofficial battle flags so to speak.I like this one. This one is for amphibious ops.X-RAY---COMMENCE FIRING! Next question! Where can I get my hands on one of these?[This message has been edited by alledan (edited 09-18-2001).][This message has been edited by alledan (edited 09-18-2001).]
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was on a submarine and I just remember it being a royal pain in the but trying to remember all them flags cause we only flew them on the surface .Read:almost never.Flags were for surface pukes ha ha ha ha.(Please note the authors intent in using the name 'surface pukes' was to merely assign a name to a certain group of sailors in the navy,not to belittle,make fun of,take cheap shots at,antagonize,or bring on the wrath of those who had the misfortune of serving on targets er uh i mean surface vessels in the U.S. Navy)
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WaltProper terminolgyIs "Bubblehead" or "Sewer Pipe" Sailors. For those of you that think ships are supposed to sink, and "Skimmers"for those of us that think they are supposed to float.
    Guns Free...Shoot...Shoot...ShootSemper Paratus [This message has been edited by bfair (edited 09-19-2001).]
  • Options
    jdchasejdchase Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And they're called bubbleheads for a reason.
    "Don't mean nuthin..." http://members.spree.com/jdchase/
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bfair ships do sink submarines submerge ha ha
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2