In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW Question

njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I would like to know if a CCW includes edged weapons? I have heard that it varies from state to state so; if you respone please indicate what state you live in and any supporting information. Opinions are also welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I know all the states have different rules, but does anybody else have this one? Whatever gun you quality with is the only one you are allowed to carry. A record of the weapon you use to quality with, here in NJ, including serial nmuber is put on the report to the authorizing agency (NJ State Police)and that is the one you must carry. This includes everyone who has a permit, (including police officers) while off duty.
    Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets.. stupidI am the NRA, the KABA, the 2ampd..njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In Ohio the law going into effect in 90 days states that in a vehicle
    your gun must be on your person and be visable or locked away.
    Other than using a sholder holster and not wearing a coat in the car
    can anyone that their state law is similar suggest ways to carry your
    pistol within the law?
    In the winter time this seems like a pain in the butt.
    Thanks for any help with this.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Louisiana and last Saturday I took the CCW training class. I'm planning on sending in my application sometime this week and in LA. it's $100 to the state whether you get approved or not, as I'm sure it is in most states. I'm a little worried about one of the questions on the application that asks if I ever got a DWI. With regret, I have to say I did, 6 years ago, and I answered yes on the application. Does anyone know how much that will go towards approval/rejection? That stupid incident is the only negative on the application, and I'm now thinking it could come back to bite me in the butt. I'd like to hear ya'lls opinion before I send the application/MONEY! in seeing how I'll never see the money again if that causes me to get rejected. Any advice/suggestions/experience? Thanks everyone.

Ben

Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well i should be taking the class here less than a month now, but i have a question. When i get my get my I.D. card (CCW permit), and say i travel to another state, do i have to get some kind of permission (document) from that state or can i just carry with card (ccw permit)in hand, or is that just for states that don't accept your states permit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am taking a trip to Kentucky from Arizona and I wanted to if there are any states I will have a problem carrying a pistol in. I know there is a website but I can't seem to find it. I will be traveling through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Indiana and Kentucky.
    Thanks Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know some states require a training certificate to apply for a license in their state and I'm wondering if anybody knows of a class here in PA, MD, nw WV or northern VA that would have a class that I could take in order to qualify for out of state permits? Aslo what are the good states to apply to in order to have very good coverage for the states that allow concealed carry? I want to try and cover as many states as possible without having a wallet ful of permits.

Real men use little bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scenario: You are in a Liquor store, gas station, bank, what have you, and an armed robbery is starting to take place while you have your weapon on you. If you are in the store during said time do you have the right to draw your weapon to take down said felon? Or must you remain just a bystander during a robbery? Also what is said perp pointed his weapon toward you demanding money, jewelry or anything else what are your options? I'm not saying that vigilante justice is necessary but just curious as to what you can do. This has been brought up a few times while I was at work and always wanted to here a educated response.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Stupid question. For a CCW gun, does a person have to be the purchaser of the gun? Can a spouse purchase and allow the other spouse to legally carry? I really don't see a problem but had two people ask me that question today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I applied for my permit on October 30th. The sheriffs department said it takes 90 days. My question is should i call and ask about it or wait. Im like a kid at Christmas. David
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many spare magazines do you carry with you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you can walk into a gun shop, purchase a firearm, and pass a background check, shouldn't you qualify for a ccw permit?

The only reason I ask is because my buddy was just denied for reason of being a adjudicated delinquent charged with a non-violent felony. (Keep in mind this is not true) Someone on the application side of this license messed up. He has been buying guns longer than I have and has more than me also. He has the right to appeal and he will, its just it made no sense at all to either of us that he was diended for this reason of being convicted at one point of a non-violent felony (which I stated above he is not) I have know the guy since kindergarden and he has never even be arrested before.

I don't know who is more upset, me or him, I quess he emailed the proper licenseing unit after about 2 and a half months of turning in his application. got a respondse two days later which was a simpil response "the process can take up to 90 days", then seven days after that he recieved his denial letter. Sounds like someone dropped the ball big time.

So back to my question........[:)]
  • Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.In Idaho you don't have to tell them what your carry gun is going to be. Nor do you have to qualify with it either.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I carried a Glock 35 in Alabama and they nevre cared what I had as long as I had my permit. Can you believe Florida accepted my Alabama permit. If that is the case in Jersey I doubt I would live there. Probably a nice place but I have to have guns around, thank God California is only a three year tour for me!
    You can run, but you'll just die tired!Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RELOAD!
  • Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Florida don't care what you carry.Florida permits are recognized by:AL MS LA & TX
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    In Washington State you pass the background check, pay your money and go about your business.Carry what you want, where you want, as many as you want.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    In Texas, you have two catagories. NSA or SA. (non-semiauto or semiauto) SA allows you to carry any legal handgun, while NSA is restricted to any legal non-semiauto only. As far as the specific gun. Nope!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iowa...no, but some agencies recommend it.
  • Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Updated August 1, 2001 The Division of Licensing has been seeking confirmation from the licensing authorities and attorneys general in the other 49 states to determine which states will acknowledge the validity of Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm licenses, thereby allowing mutual recognition of licenses under Florida's new law. The following states have acknowledged our inquiry. This mutual recognition applies only to licenses issued under Section 790.06, F.S. and does not apply to Florida Statewide Firearm Licenses , Class "G", issued under Section 493.6115, F.S. http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html
    When you come to a fork in the road...Take itSemper Paratus
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The West-by-God CCW just says:State of West Virginia Concealed Revolver/Pistol License.It also states....a license to carry concealed about his/her person a pistol and/or revolver...So I guess that means they don't care what or how many you carry.Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!Let me update that.Anyone who CAN carry, BETTER carry.
  • Options
    mag44mag44 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same in VA. Carry what you want and how many you can conceal. License also is recognizedin "By Golly West Va." and vice-versa,
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Michigan you can carry whatever pistol/revolver you want and as many of them as you can carry. But, there are some new rules with our new CCW law. You can't carry just any weapon, it has to be a gun (I guess there were too many people with poison darts??). And, there are a bunch of places you can't carry now (like on school property, anyplace that serves alcohol, sporting arena, etc.) Our new law, though not perfect, is better than the way it used to be.
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tn doesnt care what you carry Tn recognizes florida permits also
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2