In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Canadian warship seizes tanker...Canada has a warship?

.250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Swiped this from FR, enjoy...
CANADIAN WARSHIP SEIZES TANKER IN... WAIT...CANADA HAS A WARSHIP?Oh Right, and Switzerland Has Nuclear WeaponsArabian Sea (SatireWire.com) - Canadian television reported Friday that a Canadian warship in the Arabian Sea had seized a tanker suspected of smuggling oil from Iraq, leading many to suspect that the report was a hoax."You're kidding, right? Canada has a warship?" asked U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Like for war?""Does Canada know?" he added. "Nobody was more stunned than we were," said Kali Omari, first mate of the seized vessel. "We saw this frigate steaming toward us, and we were worried, but then we saw the maple leaf on the flag, and we thought, 'Oh, Canadians. What the hell do they want?'" When an officer of the HMCS Vancouver announced that the tanker was about to be boarded, the crew of the detained ship was confused, said Omari, but their confusion quickly turned to anger when they saw what the Canadians sailors were carrying. "They were armed. With guns," said Omari. "Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?" "They were pretty rude, too," Omari added. "They started asking us all sorts of questions, like 'Where did that oil come from?' But first we wanted to know who gave them the damn warship." According to Canadian defense officials, the Vancouver is one of four frigates deployed in the region to assist in the U.S.-led Afghanistan conflict. The tanker was stopped, officials said, because its cargo of crude oil violated United Nations sanctions, which prohibit Iraq from selling oil unless in exchange for food and medicine. The U.N. said the incident is already under investigation, and promised swift action against those found responsible for giving the Canadians guns. Initial findings indicate that the Vancouver crew may have been watching too many American television shows.

Comments

• Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES THE CANUCKS HAVE "WARSHIPS" WE USED TO HAVE TO SHARE THE STAIGHT OF JUAN DE FUCA WITH THEM.THEY ARE COCKY BAS%#$^ ALSO THEY WILL FLAT OUT RUN YOU OVER.OUR GOVERNMENT HAS HAD MORE THAN ONE FACE TO FACE WITH THEM OVER SOME NITWIT SKIPPER NOT FOLLOWING THE INTL RULES OF THE ROAD AND ENDANGERING ONE OF UNCLE SAMS $4BILLION SUBMARINES
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt tell me it isn't so.....a submariner intimidated by a skimmer in the straits? Here I just thought you laughed at skimmers...now you are telling me different. What has happened to our world? Beach
    edited November -1
    BEACH AS YOU KNOW WE WOULDNT EVEN THINK TWICE IF IT WERE "THA ENEMY"HOWEVER CANADA SEEMS TO BE AN ALLY,ALSO A SUBMARINE AINT NO MATCH WITH ANYTHING IN A RAMMIN CONTEST.YOU KNOW ALL THIS ALREADY YOU ARE BUSTIN MYB!@#S AINT YA!HA HA
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I am....all those years in the amphibous Navy and I was always happy we had SSN's in direct support. It almost wasn't fair for the Russians. BeachP.S. Walt I don't think there is a sailor alive who didn't appreciate the efforts of the "Silent Service". Beach[This message has been edited by beachmaster73 (edited 02-10-2002).]
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    We served with some Canadian Frigates in the Med.....fine ships, fine sailors.As Walt says, they were cocky b*stards....but then, so are our Tin Can sailors. Sort of goes with the territory.
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although we were dealing with the Canadian Army, instead of their "Navy", we had a few good run-in's with them my last rotation through NTC.The canucks were augmenting the OPFOR for this rotation, and what a bunch of cheating bastards. Miles gear with no batteries, filing theier keys, and firing their lasers full auto when they only had semi-auto capabilities. Cheating bastarde. We advanced half way up the backside of a small mountain, got pinned down for 2 hours (no arty), before we caught on to their tricks. Our PSG said F#$K this, told everybody to remove our batteries and haul *.In retrospect this is the same crazy SOB who wanted to have the platoon strip down to drawers, lbe, k-pot, and weapon with fixed bayonets and sing It's Raining Men while we performed a raid. Kind of a funny guy. I guess that'll happen to ya when you're an R.I. in desert phase (before it was cut) for years.
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot the main thing i wanted to say. When in Kingston, Canada (make sure you have alot of fellow soldiers with you! the best way to start a barfight is to yell at the top of your lungs "Wayne Gretzgy is a *". Set back and get ready for a wild night.
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a few wild nights in Kingston when I was t Ft. Drum.
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Instrument-You a rapidly dis-proving my closest held theory that the Infantry houses the largest ratio of nutjobs in the Army........OUTSTANDING. You can party in my AO anyday!(The same goes for ANY bar in San Diego...ONE does NOT announce that Chesty Puller was a dirty rotten stinking low down LEG!)
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chesty was da man! The Brits can be some cocky SOB's too. Some of them act like the USA is still theirs. One of the most fascinating groups of people I've met were the Ghurkas (sp?) from India. When I was at Ft. Lewis, the Canadian army would come down to train during the summer months. Talk about fat! Holy cow. I thought they were the Canadian National Guard.I never went to Kingston when I was at Ft. Drum. I got up to Niagra Falls a few times and a couple of adventurous evenings were had. Miss Creant--When were you at Drum? What unit were you assigned to?[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-10-2002).]
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there twice. First time was '88 to '90. lived on old post. Most of Ft. Drum as we know it now was still being built. I was in 247th TAMC (transportation aircraft company) which turned into Eco. 25th Avn Regt.Second time was in '92 to '93 in D Co. 3/25 Aviation. Could not believe the changes. They built a whole damn city!Out of all the places I was stationed in the Army Ft. Drum was my favorite. Both Times I reenlisted was in the air in the back of a Chinook with the garrantee that I would go to Ft. Drum.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's funny. There's not a whole heck of a lot to do at Ft. Drum unless you enjoy ice fishing, hunting and playing Dungeons and Dragons However, Fort Drum has the highest rate of soldiers that re-enlist to stay there.
    edited November -1
    HAD A BUDDY THAT DATED A GIRL FROM NANAIMO(SP) B.C. WE WENT UP THERE MANY TIMES ALWAYS A GOOD TIME
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2