In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

28 cheat, teacher gives 0, Board guts out

.250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Well, at least she tried...
Teacher catches 28 cheating, but the school board goes softKansas educator resigns in protest By Clayton Bellamy ASSOCIATED PRESS February 7, 2002 PIPER, Kan. - High school teacher Christine Pelton wasted no time after discovering that nearly a fifth of her biology students had plagiarized their semester projects from the Internet. She had received backing from her rural Kansas district before when she had accused students of cheating, and she expected it again this time after failing the 28 sophomores. Her principal and superintendent agreed: It was plagiarism and the students should get a zero for the assignment. But after parents complained, the Piper School Board ordered her to go easier on the guilty. Pelton resigned in protest in an episode that some say reflects a national decline in integrity. "This kind of thing is happening every day around the country, where people with integrity are not being backed by their organization," said Michael Josephson, founder and president of the Josephson Institute of Ethics in Marina del Rey. Josephson pointed to the Enron bankruptcy scandal, in which an executive whistle-blower had warned superiors about the potential consequences of the energy trader's off-the-books business deals. Also in recent months, some of the nation's top historians, including Stephen Ambrose, have been accused of borrowing passages from other authors without proper credit. Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Joseph Ellis was suspended without pay for a year from Mount Holyoke College after lying to his students about serving in Vietnam. Notre Dame University football coach George O'Leary resigned after falsifying his athletic and academic achievements on his resume. "It's so hard to keep sending the message that character counts when you have officials saying it doesn't count that much," Josephson said. In Piper, students got that message loud and clear, Pelton said. "The students no longer listened to what I had to say," she said. "They knew if they didn't like anything in my classroom from here on out, they can just go to the school board and complain." Piper High School junior Brandon Schmalz, 17, agreed. "That was bad. She was right, and they were wrong," Schmalz said of the board. Pelton, 26, resigned days after the board ordered her to give the students partial credit and to decrease the project's value from 50 percent of the final course grade to 30 percent.(Good for her! At least she showed she has a spine!) Board President Chris McCord did not give a reason for the Dec. 11 decision, which was made behind closed doors(Of course). He said it was not prompted by parents' complaints.(Crap!) One of the complaining parents was Theresa Woolley, who told The Kansas City Star that her daughter did not plagiarize. Rather, her daughter was not sure how much she needed to rewrite research material, she said.(Crap!) Rutgers University professor of management Donald McCabe, who has researched academic dishonesty in high schools and colleges, said that many teachers ignore cheating, and the Kansas episode illustrates why. "Parents are going to complain to principals and the school board, and teachers feel there's no reason to believe they'll get support," McCabe said. Copyright 2002 Union-Tribune Publishing Co.

Comments

• songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah when I was a senior a extremely large group of the class plagerized on their senior project, and the teacher just looked the other way. songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    A "national decline in integrity?"How can that be? With role models like Bill and Hillary?Say it ain't so.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.[This message has been edited by Lowrider (edited 02-10-2002).]
  • Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I WANT HER IN MY KIDS SCHOOL!!!WHEN I WAS A SENIOR I HAD A FRIEND WHO WAS "SLOW".I WROTE MY ANSWEWRS TO OUR FINALS IN BIOLOGY ON A SEPERATE SHEET OF PAPER AND SLIPPED IT TO HIM.THE DUMMY WROTE MY ANSWERS VER BATIM.WE GOT CAUGHT,HE FAILED AND I HAD TO TAKE A DIFFERENT TEST,A HARDER TEST.AT THE TIME I THOUGHT MY BIO TEACHER WAS JUST BEING LAME,AS THE YEARS HAVE GONE BY AND I HAVE MATURED AND SEE WHAT WAS AT STAKE.WE NEED MORE TEACHERS LIKE THESE TWO WOMEN.JUST MY 2 CENTS
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2