In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Spy Ship: on TV now

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Direct TV Chanel 284.
Sinking of the spy ship Genb Vandenberg off the Florida cost to make an artifual reef. Ididn't werve on the Vandy but I did serve on the Gen H H Arnold.

The Air Force and several other agences (CIA) etc used them to sort of keep an eye on the missle shots of some selected counries when we thought they were going to launch something.

The Vandy went South in the Indian ocean and the Arnold went North around the Commander Islands.

The Arnold went to Japan to make razor blades and the Vandy went to Florida for the reef project.

Interesting work if you could get it! Tom

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    makes sense seeing as we are NOT supposed to spy on anyone now..though they can do it...according to DC we are supposed to apologize
  • Options
    FrankpFrankp Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember the Vandenberg when it visited our base on Adak back in the early 70's.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Frankp: I was on the Arnold and we also visited Adak. A civiland crew member got very sick while we were on station off Kamkatcha pennsula and they sent the Coasties out to pick him up. Big joke since waves were running 30-40 feet.

We had to go into Adak to get him off. That was also very harry to swing a man off our ship onto some sort of thing they sent out. We were both bobbing and weaving but finally got him xferred without killing him.

And then back on station. Ruskies never did shoot anything of interest to us. Tom

PS: Made for a very fun week at Honolulu waiting for flight back to San Antonio, 6948th USAF FS(Mobile).