In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hard water BLUES!!

interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
Geez , I guess it never ends. I just bought and moved into a house in Lawrence Kansas. With all the bigger things being squared away I am now able to focus on the littler problems. So I am working on the toilets tonight, (both have leaking tanks) and I am thinking I will only need to replace the flappers. Oh noooo, come to learn that there is something here in the water that is so hard it is eating away at any and/or all of the rubber gasket materials. I means the rubber just sorta bleeds when you touch it, like ink. I have never seen anything like it. The house is only 6 years old. What is in the water that is decomposing my rubber? What can I look foward to in the future? Is this stuff safe to drink? Will I have to move again? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could just be cheap rubber. Go to a plumbing supply house (not a discount home center) and buy the stuff the plumbers use. I spent a few years in the trade and there is a difference in quality. I highly recomend rubber parts made by Fluid Master and Briggs. When I bought this place 2-1/2 yrs ago I had the same trouble. Former owner was a "handy man" but always bought cheap instead of quality.

Woods

How big a boy are ya?
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    might want to check it in the dark- if it glows an eerie green its probably glowworms?
    just a little humor, hope you find its benign.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    I don't know Lawrence KA at all but would inquire: are you on city water or a well?

Inside your toilet tanks is there a reddish deposit, or green / blue? Is there a build-up of solids on the valve / float mechanism? What's the most common material in your new home's water supply piping, copper or galvanized steel?

I'm inclined to side with woodsrunner until I can learn more.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a new house in the country in 94. It had 4 bathrooms. I had to replace flappers every 10 - 12 months whether I bought expensive or cheap ones. I put in a good water softener - no difference. I just got used to doing it and kept a big supply. Prior to that time I'd lived in a house a mile away and never replaced one in 17 years!!
  • Options
    mhansonmhanson Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked in the water treatment field for a few years installing water
    softeners & filters, hard water & hydrogen sulfied (think I spelled that right) were are main problems. I would definitely get a water test done..... If its eating up your bathroom I would not want to drink it!!!get a water test please!!!!!!!
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Inside tank is very slightly reddish brown. I am on city water and my pipes are copper.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the chlorine in your water attacking the rubber.

Buy ONLY Korky (the brand name) flappers, and if you have city water make sure you use Korky's RED (that's their color) flappers.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry them. They have other brands, besides Korky, but Korky is the best. If you have an "odd" flapper (like one of Kohler's or American Standard's) then try to get Fluidmaster replacement parts if possible.

Avoid the cheap "no name" stuff when it comes to "rubber" plumbing compenents.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had something similar in San Antonio. The brass valve seats would etch and leak within weeks. I finally went to a plummer's supply house and they did not even carry the brass seats. They had stainless steel at ten times the price but after 15 years there were no more leaks from bad valve seats. Sometimes more money can save you money. Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.