In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I bought a dozer

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Sometime back I asked about the pros and cons of buying or renting a dozer to clear some land and build a shooting range. There were good points made both ways. After checking on rental prices here, I opted to buy if I could get a good deal and I did buy a John Deere 350B for $8K and had the right clutch rebuilt for $1200. The sprockets, undercarriage, etc had 1100 hours since replaced. I have since put many hours on it and I believe this is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. There is just nothing like tearing thru the woods knocking trees right and left. This is even more fun than shooting. I can't wait until it dries up this spring and I can really do some clearing and get a pond or two started.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Most fun with clothes on? Try bulldozing naked! It's more fun with no clothes on! P.S. Make sure no neighbors are present.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey there bud, If you would like some "practice," I have just the place for you. Our creek is all dried up and i need a couple of holes dug outand a couple of ponds that could usr the TLC of a dozer. I am sure that in all of the mess somewhere there would be a spring turk hunt and a 2002 winter deer hunt. Just thinking of helping out my fellow gb gooroos.songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Hey, just imagin getting paid for it also! I usually run maintenance work but every now-and-then, I get to play also. If you think a dozer is fun, try a escavator!!! Backhoes are fun but not to the catagory of hydra's, gotta trust me on this one. Have fun and keep the tracks down! 3-4 yard front end loaders can be a blast also.
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a nice dry driveway that I took down 7 trees in, you could run over my stumps for me for fun. I wouldn't mind at all. Probably an offshore tuna trip in it. Several more weeks here and we will be launching the boats for the season.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to purchase one a while back for some work I needed to do, but the heirs to it got in a hurry and sold it to the first guy that walked up with the money. I had the money, but was trying to arrange transportation for it, from north Oklahoma to Florida. It was a good enough deal that would have allowed me to transport it to Arkansas to my Fathers farm, and later pick it up (when he was done with it). They sold it for half of what they told me they wanted for it. Think of all the fun I missed. I still have the 62 truckloads of dirt that need spreading, plus that many more that need to be hauled in, when I find room. Found that dirt close by, and it cost me almost $20.00 per 18 yard load to get it loaded and delivered. Hard to beat that deal around here. Need to go ahead and get the rest of it, if I have to put it in the front yard.lol
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SandmanI bought a Cat D5 a few years ago and it is therapeutic as heck.I will be through with it in June and then will sell it.In Booneville AR,kind of?Actually Washburn.cpermd
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some things have changed since my quest for a dozer. One of the things is I am purchasing 26 acres up in Ga., and that makes it more feasible. However, I also need a bigger tractor to keep that place mowed. So I haven't decided on which route to take, bigger tractor, or just add a dozer. About 25% of that property gets flooded if the river comes out of its banks. A dozer would be nice to fix that problem, if I can get enough dirt to fill it. Keep me in mind, as the time gets nearer, and let me know what you'll have to get out of it. (and if you know what it weighs, that would help me figure out how to transport it to Fla.)
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to run a 350 on my dragline. Great fun but I'd rather go with a Cat or Kamatsu. Anybody run a 375 Cat hoe? I was impressed with how smooth those big boys are! Twice as smooth as the little 400 series! Anyway you look at it, operating is serious play time.BT
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Favorite was always a grader, cause thats what I was best at. Running with the blade 1/4 in alongside a sidewalk in 3rd gear, without touching it. Wiping out ALL of the grade stakes (they'll never learn to put them rough grade marks OFF the work area hehehe)
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My granddad founded a road construction company in 1946 in TN. Dad is now president. Grew up around all that stuff. You guys are all talking little stuff, relatively speaking. Get on a Cat D-10 sometime. Talk about ripping up some ground! Playing in the dirt is just plain fun!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee you guys have all the fun biggest things I got to play with were Cat 777 (truck) Komatsu 700 loader and D-6 dozers they wouldn't let me play with the d-11's or Cat 992 loadersWaaaaaBobI have a friend that runs all the above and handles explosives, she's looking for work (MI prefered) I'll pass on messages Tailgunner@M33Access.com
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oddball7465oddball7465 Member Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pics of your dozer?

Anyway, I prefer machines I can dig with.
  • Options
    drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why dig up a nine year old topic?
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drygulchdan
    Why dig up a nine year old topic?It's a game; he probably just wanted to see who's paying attention.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Why dig up a nine year old topic?It's a game; he probably just wanted to see who's paying attention.

No, he had a reason for it.[;)]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Why dig up a nine year old topic?It's a game; he probably just wanted to see who's paying attention.No, he had a reason for it.[;)]Ah, now I see, said the blind man! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was broke in on a 583k side boom, that was a long time ago.

still ride something now 500kamsu 980 cat widepad d6 trackhoes.

run a gantry crane now big P&H 40 ton.
    wanger stacker l-80, its all fun.

but hard work too.

if i cant run it its broke, so pass me my tools, i can work on it too.
  • Options
    FISHERRIDGESPORTINGFISHERRIDGESPORTING Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a CAT D8H, it was BEAST!
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dammit guys, I can't even find out how to dig up these old files. I still have my 350b and I just ordered 10 rollers to rebuield the bottom end,.

This little sucker has been my money pit. But I love her.

However, as in my posts of the last few days, I don't expect to put any more money into this thing. After rebuielding the bottom end, I should have an almost new machine which will live much longer than me.

I did not realize I have had this machine this long. Tom