In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two weeks after US terror, Iran once again cries "Death to America"

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Two weeks after US terror, Iran once again cries "Death to America"TEHRAN, Sept 26 (AFP) - After a two-week hiatus since the attacks on the United States, loud cries of "Death to America" rang out again in Iran on Wednesday as its leaders firmly ruled out joining a US-led anti-terror coalition.Privately, several ordinary Iranians felt Tehran had missed the boat for patching up relations with Washington."You, who have always caused blows to Iran's interests, how dare you request help (from us) in order to attack the innocent Muslim nation of Afghanistan which has suffered and which is our neighbour," Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said."The Islamic Republic of Iran will not participate in any move which is headed by the United States," he said ending days of speculation on whether ties would thaw with Washington, which was one of Tehran's closest allies up until the 1979 Islamic revolution that led to links being severed.Khamenei's address drew, for the first time since the September 11 terror attacks on New York and Washington, loud cries of "Death to America" broadcast repeatedly by the Iranian state media.Since the wave of attacks on the United States, which were swiftly condemned by Iran, there had been signs of an easing of Tehran's position toward Washington, which carries Iran on its list of "rogue" states.Numerous candlelit vigils for the dead were held in Iran's 10-million strong capital, and no anti-US slogans were chanted by Friday prayer leaders in Tehran.There was also a minute of silence observed by 40,000 spectators when Iran's national football team played Bahrain, while Tehran mayor Morteza Alviri, in an unprecedented move, expressed condolences to his New York counterpart, Rudy Giuliani.But Tehran's rejection of joining a US-led international coalition is worrying some Iranians who are now speculating over the consequences the decision may have on their lives."Iran itself is branded a terrorist country which is why it should have agreed to cooperate," said 21-year-old Tehran computer student Hani."I don't know about the politicians, but the Iranian people would like to have ties with America," she said."Now, one of the consequences of Iran's decision may be that US scepticism towards Iran will rise anew, given that we already are on their list of terrorist states," Hani added.Mahin, a 56-year-old housewife and mother of three, was not surprised by the decision but said Iran had "missed a golden opportunity.""Bad incidents in life either bring you close together, or separate you. This was one of those incidents, and I think we missed a golden opportunity," she said.Iranian officials have in past days stepped up their opposition to a US-led international coalition. Instead, they have called for the United Nations to spearhead the drive against terrorism.

Comments

• Options
    Free N TXFree N TX Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, I am...like...so shocked by this!! NOT!!!I am actually surprised it took them this long to denounce America and the planned RETALIATION on terrorists. As the post stated Iran is a terrorist state that has (in the past) threatened America with possible terrorist attacks. Does anybody else remember the many kidnappings they did back in the mid to late 70's and early 80's against American's and American business's that was there to help them. Do you also remember that they also only held white Americans and released the black Americans because they claimed they knew how America treated black people. I d@mn sure do, I will never forget the innocent people that died over there just because they were American. There were also military men that lost there lives trying to attempt a rescue. They were given BS intellegence (set up??) reports.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not hard to figure out why they waited 2 weeks. when they didn't get what was comming to them within 24 hours they became increasingly brave as the days dragged into weeks and still they went unpunished, they started thinking well we got away with another one.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't worry. We have mushroom clouds for everybody.