In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Laws

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
How old do you have to be to legaly carry a handgun to own to buy(CCW) Im lost on all the laws.

And my mom was born in Mexico but she came to America at the age of 4 or 5 and she is legaly here but she has to renew her citizenship. Can she have a CCW if she legaly here? Or does she have to also be a citizen? THANKS

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is an NFA stamp? Does this mean you can purchase a class three firearm but it has to be registered with ATF? Also what are forms 3-4 and five, and how do I know if a state (Illinois) accepts hi cap mags. I have a p16 40 and I can buy hi-caps fot it, but can I buy a new Sig P220 with 15 round mags or does it depend on wether it is used or made before a particular date?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i know there is a law as to how many hand guns you can buy ,but is there a limit on the amount of long guns you can buy? i dont think there is a mulitiple gun sale form for long guns. is there ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have read before where some say that there are over 2000 seperate laws on the books that restrict the rights to gun ownership.

I am in a running gun battle with an anti-gun-nut who dose not feel this is true.

Does any one know a sight whereby I can obtain this information, so I can shove it up is rear receiver?[;)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Depends on where. Federal, state, county, city, HOA rules, etc.

But you should add a 0... I recall reading something somewhere a few years back where the number was over 25,000 ...
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    I have read before where some say that there are over 2000 seperate laws on the books that restrict the rights to gun ownership.

I am in a running gun battle with an anti-gun-nut who dose not feel this is true.

Does any one know a sight whereby I can obtain this information, so I can shove it up is rear receiver?[;)]

Trinity +++

Print out the 100s of pages accessible in the following link from the BATF. This should put you over 2,000, and then you can start looking into local laws.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Deadred707Deadred707 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I was going to link you what don did. In book form is is an 8x10 size that is over an inch thick.

This link does now show "law" as actual wording but is an AFT faq of what you can and can not do, http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When faced with the fact that there are so many restrictive laws on the books his favorite come back is

"I still believe no one will take our guns away!"

Want he be surprised?[}:)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The Brookings Institute says that there are about 300 gun laws in the US.

This site below attempts to explain a bit how very difficult it is to find out. For instance, One law might cover a dozen different directions or branches of gun control Is that `one' law...or a dozen ?

http://www.gunlaws.com/faq.htm#howmany

Ran across this site while browsing about looking for info...

http://rackjite.com/web/guns_nra.htm
    Mud Dumb Gunloons

The gun lobby pushes the white-wing theory that if enough guns are pumped into the inner cities, blacks will eventually shoot themselves out of existence.

I am a gun owner. I have two shotguns, one that is 60 years old and the other doesn't work. Neither are semi-automatic; one a double barrel and the other a pump. Gun owners are not necessarily gunloons. Gunloons are those who make weapons of death the most important aspect of their politics and the primary definition of their character. Those who must show, play and talk about their weapons ad nauseam, who reduce the constitution to only one amendment, and who have had a tube of cold rolled steel protruding from the top of their heads for so long it has displaced so much brain matter they longer have the ability of rational thought.

On Wednesday afternoon, April 19th, 1995, while the rest of America was shaking their fists at "Burrheads" screaming for blood and wanting to drop atomic bombs all over the Middle East, I was aware of only four individuals boldly pinning the Oklahoma blast on our own homegrown gun lunacy. Those four (myself included) had only one thing in common - a decade of time on-line in cyberspace seeing message bases filled with the daily rot of a seething maniacal gunloon hatred of the Federal Government so ubiquitous it even puts the intolerant mentality of the Religious Right to shame. This dominates not just part of the political discourse on the net, but the majority of it. There was no doubt in our minds of those responsible. The issues of these millions of gunloons that led to the Oklahoma bombing are in order of importance:

? An absolutist view on the 2nd Amendment and the repeal of all gun control legislation. [The gun card]

? Getting the Federal government "off our backs" and giving that power back to the states. [That old States' Rights card]

? End America's involvement internationally, primarily concerning the UN. [The isolationist card]

? Reduction of taxes and the elimination of the IRS. [The selfish card]

? Elimination of Welfare and Affirmative Action. [The race card]

? Delusional fear of the New World Order that they define as totalitarian world communism. [The paranoia card]

Put those cards in your hand, throw out the worst one, and a six high beats the crap out of it. These are not only the core beliefs of Timothy McVeigh, the patriot militias, the Ku Klux Klan and the Aryan Nations, but have become the very essence of the conservative ideology which has been running this nation into the ground for a generation. The "Gipper Legacy."

Responsibility for the Oklahoma bombing lies with the individuals who did it, but they, and literally millions more like them, have been fanned into madness by the unconscionable dissemination of hatred for the United States Government by the Republican Party, the Religious Right, the NRA, the conservative/Libertarian ideology and, most of all, hate mongers like Rush Limbaugh, Michael Reagan, Ken Hamblin and G. Gordon Liddy. They have taken over the radio waves to whip these mud-dumb gunloons into a frenzy of ever-increasing Right-wing poopism.
    Where does this all-consuming hatred come from? I have pondered that from my computer monitor for an hour each evening for over a decade reading all their conservative bilge. It is
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    When faced with the fact that there are so many restrictive laws on the books his favorite come back is

"I still believe no one will take our guns away!"

Want he be surprised?[}:)]

Trinity +++

Well if that happens his next line will be "I still cant believe they took our guns away". Keep your head in the sand and no harm can come [xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    The Brookings Institute says that there are about 300 gun laws in the US.

I have a hard time believing that. I guess it kinda depends on how you look at it. It also does not say if those are state or federal or local laws. In my state, WA, there are 50 main laws and some of those have several laws inside them.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An interesting link, Highball.

In the link, a total of 1,641 numbered statues identified in the Federal System and 5 of the 50 states:

From the link:

Bloomfield Press has published comprehensive state-by-state gun-law guides for five states, with every statute reproduced (in pertinent part) in an Appendix. In addition, we produce an unabridged federal gun-law guide. Counts from the most recent editions available show:

Federal gun law in 2005:
    93,354 words in 271 numbered statutes

Arizona gun law in 2006:
    36,645 words in 183 numbered statutes

Virginia gun law in 2006:
    45,494 words in 191 numbered statutes

Texas gun law in 2005:
    49,442 words in 226 numbered statutes

California gun law in 1998:
    158,643 words in 541 numbered statutes

Florida gun law in 1998:
    46,585 words in 229 numbered statutes

I we toss California as an exceptionally high figure, and go with a 200 statute average per state, we get 10,000 for the 50 states plus the 271 Federal Laws.

It is then obvious, given the innumerable municipal laws, that 20,000 gun laws is a very conservative figure.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    One of the links mentioned that Reagan gave the 'over 20,000 gun laws ' figure in one of his speeches.

I never researched it, bluntly...just have repeated it for ten or 15 years.
    In the final gut-check ;
    What difference does it make if there is ONE gun law...or a million ?

The end result is the same .

Gutless american males, and a government snitting on the Constitution.