In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NY Taxation leads to gun confiscation

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Taxation leads to gun confiscation

2/20/2004

The News article on the proposal to increase fees for gun permits was excellent. It demonstrates the concept that Gov. George Pataki believes that anything that can be taxed (or fees increased) should be taxed. With his history of runaway spending and catering to special interests in Albany, he is desperate to find ways to raise revenue.
He ignores the wishes of the Conservative Party, whose line helped get him elected in the first place, and seeks to further raid the pockets of taxpayers rather than cut back on his grandiose spending programs.

By using the gun permit as a vehicle for increased taxes, he demonstrates the elitist attitude that rich people can be trusted with guns, while the working person should be denied access.

The right to keep and bear arms is the only constitutional right I can think of that has been eroded to a privilege. Anything licensed is a privilege and can be revoked or infringed by legislative or judicial whim.

Pataki's proposal is simply a method of confiscation by taxation, and as a wise man once said, "The power to tax is the power to destroy." It is obvious that the governor wishes to destroy our Second Amendment.

I encourage the legislators who have read and understand the Constitution, and also believe that the state has imposed far too many unfunded mandates already, to actively oppose this violation of fairness and logic.

BUDD SCHROEDER
Chairman, SCOPE
Lancaster

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040220/1041592.asp

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>

Comments

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timothy M. Wroblewski - District 9

February 13, 2004
    WROBLEWSKI SPEAKS OUT AGAINST PROPOSED GUN FEES

Erie County Legislator Timothy M. Wroblewski (D- West Seneca/Cheektowaga) has filed legislation criticizing Governor George E. Pataki's proposed changes to the New York State handgun fee and renewal process.

"This new proposal does nothing but infringe on public rights and create a new hidden tax for law abiding gun owners," said Legislator Wroblewski.

Under the Governor's 2004-2005 budget plan, handgun owners would have to renew their license every five years and pay a $100 fee. Current law stipulates that gun holders must qualify for a license once, and hold that license unless or until it is revoked.

"In addition, the Governor's sly revenue building scheme would add new bureaucratic layers to the pistol license process which would end up costing county taxpayers a great deal in processing costs," said Legislator Wroblewski. "In discussions with Erie County Clerk David Swarts he has indicated, if imposed, the new caseload associated with the continuous renewal of the nearly 70,000 licenses issued to Erie County residents would be a burden too large for existing staff levels."

Legislator Wroblewski's resolution calling upon the State Legislature to reject the Governor's new hand gun policies will be considered by the Erie County Legislature at its next session on Thursday, February 19, 2004.

http://www.erie.gov/legislature/district09/district09_news021304.asp

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try and rememeber this the next time a cigarette tax comes along-Pataki is raising taxes on gun owners for the same reason cigarette taxes get raised.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    The next thing they will be banning shooting at the ranges because the smoke from the burnt powder is infringing on someones rights!!!

Ny State is second only to California as far as least desirable states to live in!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    The next thing they will be banning shooting at the ranges because the smoke from the burnt powder is infringing on someones rights!!!

Ny State is second only to California as far as least desirable states to live in!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!

Alot of people are speculating that Pataki's next attempt will be to make the pistol permit a foid type instrument, requiring every firearm to be registered and every firearm owner to be taxed. What peeves me to no end is the guys at the gun club who have been blowing off the rest of us and saying more gun controls are needed. These same guys think the only sporting weapon is a shotgun and nobody should have anything else. They also believe they will never come around knocking down doors for a shotgun. Just a bunch of idiots.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't laugh most all of the public and public access ranges are in real danger of being highly restricted or shut down because of environmental concerns of lead contamination.

The one range down state that I had belonged to had a slew of complaints from the new neighbors in the housing developments springing up. Even though the club has been there since WWII and owns more than 50 acres the new neighbors were determined to shut them down out of fear of being shot and hearing the "bang"-"bang".
    After a few years of petitions and law suits the new neighbors
    were thwarted from closing the range until they figured out a frontal assault is not always a good idea.

With a simple stroke of a pen the range was shut down in a heartbeat due to lead contamination in the soil. What was not accomplished in more than 3 years of public meetings, petitions, and rallies was executed in less than 48 hours. The range was closed for more than a year until all the contaminated soil was removed and new backstops installed and lead ammunition banned.

One thing to keep in mind about this whole ordeal is the fact that while the new neighbors were trying to shut the range and club down they and their kids were using the club's property as their personal recreational area. Today the club aggressively prosecutes and non-members for trespassing..............you should here the new neighbors squeal in district court when the get slapped with a minimum of $350.00 + per offense...........kinda makes up for what they have cost the club and club members dealing with their law suits over the years.[:D]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time i shot at a public County Range in Long island NY i paid $15.00 an Hour[:0]

use_deer.jpg
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the things that has always amazed and dismayed me has been fellow shooters passive attitudes towards their constitutional rights to keep and bear arms including their sport shotguns. Sometimes our worst enemy is within our ranks those of us who are narrow minded and passive("I have my hunting shotgun who needs a handgun or a military style rifle?" or "I vote my party and union." or "I guess we'll just have to turn them in if they are banned." and "the governor said he'll never take our deer guns.")

The one club that I still belong to are firm supporters of the Brady Bill and AWB. They do not let any semi-auto firearm on the range.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    "I have met the enemy..and he are us.."

Pogo...and truer words have never been spoken.There would have been no gun laws at all without 'gun people' blindly electing public officials that cannot seem to understand the Constitution.

Of course,to understand the above statement..One has to understand the difference between "People control...and Gun Control."

You know..Gun Misuse laws are Constitutional...Gun CONTROL laws are not.