In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey hunting question

twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
Im going turkey hunting for the first time this year, I've got a Browning light twelve I'd like to use, would using a pheasant load in 4,5 or 6 shot work? Im having trouble finding dedicated 2 3/4 turkey loads

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going turkey hunting tomorrow for my first time. I have a 12 ga 2 3/4" with a turkey choke.
    What shot size do you recommend? I was thinking BB shot and my friend says 4 shot.
    Any advice?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any Turkey hunters here?

I would like to ask some advice. I am going turkey hunting for the first time this May (in Iowa) and would like to get some advice.
    I am interested to know what the opinion of 10 vs. 12 gauge is. I have a BPS pump 10 gauge, an 870 and a 500A, both 12 gauges, are any better suited then the rest? The 870 is well used, the 500A not really used and the BPS has had about 25 rounds in ten years, what would you use and why?
    Chokes really are not a big issue as I have most of those but just need to know which would be the best.
    Can I use copper plate #2s (10 Gauge), I think they are BBs but I would have to look. I have had them since 1989 in the gun cabinet. As far as 12 gauge, I have some steel shot #4s, 3" that I have also had since 1989, (when I used to duck hunt) still in perfect shape though. Are 3" better than 2 3/4" or is it the shooter?
    What about clothes? I just bought a suit that is pull over pants, jacket, full hood and gloves. It has mesh netting with fabric to look like foliage and is made to look like a sniper suit, kinda.
    I have no decoys, are they strictly personal preference?
    I have a turkey call made from bone that was a gift from about ten years ago, is it worth trying or skip it. Not that I can even use it yet.
    My uncle asked me about gong so I decided why not. I hunt just about everything that moves with the exception that I quit ducks/geese in 89', any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

twins
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personaly I would use the 870 with 3" #4 and a turkey choke.
    The clothes need to blend in with where you will be hunting but you will want to be completely covered.
    Decoys are personal preference, you can kill a turkey with or without on depending on how well you call.

The call, I would use a quaker boy mouth call since you don't have to move your hands while using it. I would also use a locator call like a gobble tube or a crow call, once you get one gobblin get set up and put the mouth call in. Mouth calls are not as bad to learn as some will say they are, just practice as much as you can. Walmart sells good little kits for about $20 that has a video and a couple different calls in it and it's pretty easy to learn.

Remember this, if you can see the turkey, DON'T MOVE. If you need to reposition for the shot, let the bird get behind a tree or something else so it cannot see you move. Turkey hunting is like Archery hunting, you almost have to know in advance where you will be taking the shot at because it is hard as heck to get away with moving the gun for the shot, let the bird walk in front of the gun and POW!

Edited by - 7mm nut on 05/01/2002 04:05:54
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    twins: 7mm nut gave you some very good advice , I would only add make sure you check your state game reg. for shot size because here in Wi. we have shot size restrictions, nothing larger than #2 steel, # 4 lead or other #4 non-steel shot
    I really like Winchester Supreme Turkey Load 12 ga. 3inch 1 3/4 oz # 5 shot out of my Rem 870 using a extra full turkey choke
    If you are not good at calling try to find some one that is to go with you,
    head to toe camo and don't move when the bird is looking in your direction, their eyes sight is about 20 times better than ours
    good luck and let us know how it goes OK

Edited by - gskyhawk on 05/01/2002 08:12:29
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are getting good advice so far! I personally like the Rem. duplex loads with #4 and #6 shot combined. If you do not have a turkey chock, use and extra full. Good Luck!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an old Mossberg 500 cut down to 18" and with full choke.
    It is spray painted each April for camo.
    It has killed 6 turkeys with 6 shots so far this April.
    I use Win #5 3" Mag and don't let anyone shoot past 25 yards.
    Turkey hunting is my passion.
    cpermd
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first let me say that i am a complete novice when it comes to turkey hunting!!!! now ,i can go along with all the advice given and from everything i have read,seen on video, and talked to professional hunters they all recomend a decoy or two to get the turkeys attention away from the hunter. my problem is i have never even been able to get a turkey within eyesight when i was hunting them. deer hunting they seem to be everywhere even run into them squirrel hunting. have a slate,box,andplunger calls as well as crow and owlcalls for shock calling.have not learned to use a diaghram call. i have tried putting them to bed and sneaking in the next morning and they seem to just disapear overnight. no gobbels in the morning and nothing comes in to the hen calls. i think i need a proffesionals help. this is aggravating,especialy when i have pretty good luck hunting other critters. CARL
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ALSO HAVE 12'S AND A BPS 10 IN CAMO, That is my choice just because I like to hit the hard and with alot of it. I use high vis #6 and with the 10 I use the full choke, because I have patterned it at 50 yards and the full is fine. Also if you happen to get a close shot you won't hose it because you have a super tight choke.

Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Candres35: around here [being West Central WI] it seems the birds like to come off their roost and feed out to a near by hay field where they will almost always find a knoll or other high point to start fanning on, after about a hour of this if they aren't disturbed they will head off for the woods where they will ussally take to the ridges, I think they like to get up high where the wind can carry the sounds up to them in hopes of finding another hen.
    if you are going in the morning to set up on a bird you put to bed you need to get there very early and be very quiet when you are setting up otherwise they will hear or see you and be gone
    hope this helps a little because I'm no expert thats for sure

Edited by - gskyhawk on 05/02/2002 07:38:15
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the information and advice. I appreciate it. Hopefully I will shoot my first turkey this month.
    I ran to sprawlmart this AM and found some really good clearance sales. I think I will use the 10 just because I found some #5 turkey loads in 10 ga for $4 a box, couldn't pass up that price. That and I have not really shot it in the last ten years.

Gotta run, but once again, thanks for all the information.

twins