In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Corrosive ammo

Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in General Discussion
Last Sunday I fired some corrosive military 7.62x25 ammo in a Polish TT33 Tokarev then zipped the pistol in a plastic bag so as not to contaminate the shooting bag. On Monday afternoon I went to clean the barrel and found a thin film of brown rust in the bore.
After cleaning the original, unchromed barrel, it was set aside for a chromed Chinese barrel that will be used hereafter in that pistol.
I was reminded how destructive corrosive 30-06 and .45 ACP ammo was
in the Army. Army bore cleaner did NOT do a proper job.

Comments

• Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What part of corrosive ammo is corrosive? Is it the powder or what?
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the primer.
    It contains salt.
    If you use ammo with corrosive primers and wash the barrel with hot water it desolves all the salt. Or, mix one part Ballistol and 9 parts water in an old Pepsi/coke bottle and pour some down the bore.
    Now clean it normally and save tons of money while not harming your gun.
    I only use corrosive in bolt guns.
    I believe corrosive in gas guns requires way to much effort to justify it

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, is a primer made with Potassium Chlorate, instead of Lead Azide (really old ones were Mercury Fulminate) Potassium Chlorate burns to Potassium Chloride, a first cousin to table salt. It is not soluble in standard bore cleaners, but IS soluble in water- which is why you see folks scrubbing bores with Windex, soap, hot water, etc.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend told me last week when he uses the corrosive ammo he wipes out the barrel with Windex, I've been around for a while and I had never heard of Windex on corrosive. He swears by it.???????????????[:D][8D][8]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Windex? Yep. Ammonia and water. Put a shot down the bore at the range, brush, patch. When I get home, they get a quart of HOT water thru the bore, little dish detergent on the brush, another quart of HOT water, dry patch, wait 5 minues, lightly oiled patch. Seems to work- have been shooting Mausers, MNs, SMLEs and SKS's with a LOT of corrosive ammo- bores are still excellent.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Sweets 7.62 solvent also dissolves the corrosive salts, along with the copper fouling. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back in WW 2 most of the time in training we used G.I. soap and
    hot water for cleaning corrosive primed ammo. With the exception of the .30 M-1 Carbine all usual small arm ammo was corosive. Also there was
    the cans of G.I. bore cleaner (including the small can, about 3 ounces) which fit into a M-1 clip pocket in the cartridge belt. It was a kinda
    milky like liquid which was also great. It is no big deal cleaning up
    unless you are lazy. But we made sure it was cleaned within 24 hours
    or less if possible. Look at how many M-1 rifles are still around from
    WW 2. Granted, many were rebarreled but the majority of these were "battlefield pickups" and not cleaned in time. When ones life depends on a functioning weapon it get cleaned.