In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marine's Boss: Iraq Slayings 'A Good Day'

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
New York Daily News
April 30, 2005

Marine's Boss: Iraq Slayings 'A Good Day'

By Brian Kates, Daily News Staff Writer

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - The officer who sent a New York Marine on the combat mission that resulted in him being accused of murdering two Iraqis testified yesterday that "to me, it was a good day."

"We killed two obvious insurgents. I wasn't concerned with the details," said Maj. Brian Neil, who was the operations officer of the 2nd Marine Battalion.

Neil said 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano volunteered for the April 15, 2004, "search and knock" mission after an Iraqi civilian reported the location of a house where insurgents were firing mortars at American troops.

During the mission, Pantano killed two unarmed Iraqi detainees captured after fleeing the house in a car.

The prosecution contends he executed them in a hail of more than 50 bullets as they knelt on the ground along a road near Mahmudiyah. Pantano said he thought the Iraqis were attacking him and fired in self-defense.

Neil called Pantano "among the very top second lieutenants I have seen in 17 years." Asked if he thought the 33-year-old former Wall Street trader had the judgment to know whether he was being attacked or not, Neil replied: "Absolutely. I think that is an instinctual decision he would make."

The Marine major's testimony came amid a day of bizarre courtroom wrangling in which Pantano's lawyers fought to allow his chief accuser to testify, while the prosecution tried to keep him off the stand.

Pantano's lawyers petitioned Maj. Gen. Richard Huck, commander of the 2nd Marine Division, to grant top prosecution witness Sgt. Daniel Coburn immunity from prosecution so they could question him.

Coburn - one of only two G.I.s with Pantano when the shooting deaths occurred - was pulled abruptly from the witness stand Thursday when he invoked his right to remain silent after admitting he'd broken orders to not speak to the press, including the Daily News, about the case.

NSDQ!
www.nightstalkers.com

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10

Comments

• Options
    ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I don't know enough about this case, but to me, whats the big deal. So Jarhead kills a few thugs, whoopido. To me it doesn't matter if he used one bullet to kill them, or 50, dead is dead. If he emptied his mag and reloaded and shot them some more, good, hopefuly thear buddies see it and get a clear message out of it. Just my two cents!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference...The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Ironjohn.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They aren't telling the whole story. Coburn had a personal beef with the LT. He'd been trying to find something to use in order to fry the LT in the past. That's why the Prosecution was trying to keep him off the stand. The LT's defense team would have torn Coburn apart on the stand.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A job well done by that Marine Lt. Two less to contend with. In fleeing they were comfirming the old saying, "he who runs away will live to fight another day". Why give them a second chance to kill you.