In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Failing eyes and optics on handguns

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
As I age my eyes can no longer keep the front sight on a handgun in focus. I did not even need cheaters until age 56, now I have about 10 pair so I can find at least one when needed.

I have put three BURRIS FASTFIRE III's on both GP100's and the S&W 686. They all use the Weiga-Tinny no drill mount that requires removing the rear sight, no alterations to the gun.

I have, coming tomorrow, the fourth FASTFIRE III and the mount for another S&W. I have a beautiful 25-2 and a 29 Classic, I want to put it on one of them.

My Question. Will it hurt the value of these guns removing the sight and putting the optics on it? I save the rear sights, spring and screws so they can be reinstalled later if desired.

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

My Question. Will it hurt the value of these guns removing the sight and putting the optics on it?

For you or someone else? Don
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the sight rubs a mark then yes maybe a little but in the big scheme of things using and enjoying is worth something right? Keep em shooting or just safe sitting. I?d choose shooting you can always put the old site back on
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get better glasses
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only if it damages the firearm.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Get better glasses

^^^^ this!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer the original question- I dont really think they will help the value of the gun, as many old dogs aren?t willing to let technology make them better shooters, therefore the market is smaller.

If you sell I would go back to factory sights and sell the optic separate.

quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Get better glasses

You will only say this if you havent learned to shoot a pistol with an optic.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce,

I look for the same S&W's that you mention all the time. I, as well as you have a hard time seeing the front sight with aging eyes. As far as I'm concerned from a buyers perspective, the rail and the fast sight doesn't hurt the value of the gun as long as all of the original screws and sights are with the gun, and there are no marks from the attached sight improvements. As for including the fast sight with the gun, I'd doubt that that you'd get 30% of its value.. JMHO.. [:)]

FWIW, try a fiber optic front sight on your next one. They are awesome!

Todd
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1