In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Slipgate's post got me thinking...

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Consider a 40' enclosed & sealed semi trailer. If it houses 400 sparrows, does it weigh more if they are flying or resting? This was asked me when in '62 I interviewed for my first real job at the Union Carbide research lab in indy.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i`ll bite..common sense says that it would weigh more if they were airborne rather than resting,but i suppose if they were flying the air pressure from them flapping their wings would affect the weight? i`m sure theres a trick there somewhere.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    The downpressure created from their flapping their wings is directly proportional to the weight of the bird, thus creating the same downforce on the floor of the semi trailer as if they were standing on the floor as opposed to being in flight. Therefore we can deduce the semi trailer to weigh the same regardless the birds are in flight or non-flight.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say it weighs more if they are resting as they become part of the structure per se.

When flying they are not connected to the structure, and are simply disturbing some air.

Like Dan,......I am sure there is a trick waiting!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    No. Force on the floor caused by little sparrow feet, or force on the floor caused by wings pushing the air downward is the same. Remember: we're talking about hovering birds. Different with birds in a climb (or in a descent). It's all about vector analysis. Trig function. Best, Joe
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mythbusters busted this on a couple years ago.
    No difference in weight.
    [^]barto[^]
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its an enclosed system, the balance of forces remains the same unless you add external forces (like a crane [:)])
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told by the guy that decided to hire me that the weight is the same if the birds are flying or at rest on the floor. He claimed that there would be a slight weight shift when the birds were rising from the floor or decending back to it.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.