In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wonder why were broke this might shock you

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
What's the Impact of Illegal Work on Social Security? Lines at Social Security Offices at the Border |
By Mary Johnson

Here's something hard to believe, but true. Our government is paying Social Security benefits to thousands of Mexicans who don't live in this country, or were never entitled to benefits based on their own work record. A new report from the Social Security Office of Inspector General details the growing problem of thousands of Mexicans who routinely visit the United States once a month to establish a claim to Social Security benefits.

Who are these beneficiaries? The Inspector General's report refers to these beneficiaries as dependents and survivors of other Social Security beneficiaries and subject to the Social Security Alien Nonpayment Provision (ANP) law. The ANP forbids payment of retirement, survivor and disability benefits when non-citizens have been outside the United States for more than 6 months. But as is so often the case with Social Security law, there are several exceptions; for example, if the non-citizen is from a foreign country that has its own social insurance system and meets certain conditions. Mexico is on the list of countries that meet the conditions of the exception.

U.S. law requires that, in order to meet the requirements, ANP beneficiaries must "establish physical presence" in the United States to receive benefits. One of the easiest options is to "enter the U.S. for any part of 1 day before 30 days elapse."

The Inspector General's Office recently surveyed 4 field Social Security field offices along the border with Mexico in California and Texas. Each office provided services to about 1,000 such beneficiaries every month. Personnel say the number is increasing for three reasons:

1. Beneficiaries are telling other Mexicans about the Social Security benefits.
2. Mexican consulate officials are informing people about the availability of such benefits.
3. Survivor claims are increasing due to recent violence in Mexico.

One further reason for the growth is undoubtedly the growth in the primary beneficiary rolls, upon which the benefits of ANP dependents and survivors are based. According to the Inspector General, older non-citizens workers are now at the age and have worked in this country long enough to be potentially eligible to file claims for retirement or disability. The Inspector General has also said that those who worked using invalid, or non-work Social Security numbers issued prior to January 1, 2004, did not need valid work authorization in order to file a claim. Under current law the Social Security Administration uses all earnings, including those for illegal work, to determine entitlement to benefits.

To date the government has no comprehensive estimate of the costs of such policies on the Social Security Trust Fund, or the cost of benefits based on illegal work. Nevertheless, Congress is studying a number of changes to Social Security that would cut the benefits of both future and current U.S. senior citizen beneficiaries who worked and paid into Social Security legally.

TSCL believes the time has come for Congress to put the needs of U.S. senior citizens and taxpayers first. We support legislation that would ban the use of illegal earnings in determining entitlement to Social Security such as S. 95, to Prevent Social Security Credit from Being Earned without Legal Status, introduced by Senator David Vitter (LA), and "No Social Security for Illegal Immigrants Act" (H.R. 787), introduced by Representative Dana Rohrabacher (CA).

Sources: Impact of Alien Nonpayment Provisions on Field Offices Along the Mexican Border, Social Security Administration Office of the Inspector General, February 2011 A-08-10-20140. Impact of Unauthorized Employment on Social Security Benefits, Social Security Administration Office of the Inspector General, December 2006, A-14-05-14042.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how f---ng stupid can govt be
  • Options
    pogybatepogybate Member Posts: 3,150
    edited November -1
    Holy poop, unblievable....
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    how f---ng stupid can govt be

Just as stupid as we make it .[V]
  • Options
    benelli manbenelli man Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FREAKING MEXICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE DON'T NEED SECURE BORDERS-HELL NO.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    The drug war dwarfs that.

Makes it an ant next to a pit bull.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are being destroyed from within... They dont have to attack us...
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't stand talking to those bleeding hearts that say they have a

right for a better life.

They are illegal, plain and simple.

If something doesn't change soon, we'll be one of those poor war torn

nation you see on t.v. and say "man I'm glad I don't live there".[xx(]
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Q: Which Political Party decided to start
    giving annuity payments to immigrants?

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.

Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
    began to receive Social Security payments! The
    Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
    even though they never paid a dime into it!
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do yall try and succeed to get me riled up over this crap? This country is being overrun by these people who won't stand up to their own government because it's so easy to manipulate ours. Just vote some more Garcias and Lopezs to offices in the next 10 years and we'll have one for President. I have lived here my whole life and Mexicans are as common as grass here and I don't have a problem with that,but,there are so many illegals here any elected official will cater to them in such ridiculous terms as mentioned in this article. And don't say,"what's the problem,they can't vote"? They do vote,you just go down and sign up for card without any identification and go about your business. I know a Mexican gal who I don't know if she's legal or not but she owns 3 houses of which she rents out 2 and she gets food stamps,and therefore she is falsifying records to get them,and that's a fact. Here they even ask you what year model car you own and any property you own. We are gonna be bled dry.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Q: Which Political Party decided to start
    giving annuity payments to immigrants?

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic/Republican Party.Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
    began to receive Social Security payments! The
    Democratic/Republican Party gave these payments to them,
    even though they never paid a dime into it!

Don't forget about the beloved repubs who have done nothing to stop this, or anything else for the last 60 years, making them complicit accomplices in all crimes eminating from CONgress. C'mon people, wake up![:(!]
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    /\/\/\/\/\/\THIS!/\/\/\/\/\/\
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No fsh, after watching what's been going on in this country, nothing shocks me. When is that redistributing of wealth going to trickle down to Jeff?!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.