In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone use these grills?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I bought a Henry Hickory smoker charcoal grill last summer just to give it a try. After some trial and error I got it down. They cook very slow and have a temp gauge on the lid so you know if your not cooking hot enough or too hot. I love it we get bonless chicken breast and paste them in barbaque sause and lay them on the grill. and usually just have to turn them once, then paste them again. You can buy hickory bark to put in a small inclosed section just above the charcoal so it gets hot enough to smoke a while before it burns up. If I need to I will stuff it full of bark again. I get my own hickory bark and keep it smoking the whole time. The down side is dont use it if your hungry it takes about 40 minutes to get the chicken done and it takes about one bag of charcoal. It sure fixes food better than my gas grill. Anyone else use one of these? What do you think of it?

Comments

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal is always better than gas...thats what I think.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Charcoal is always better than gas...thats what I think.

Propane is much better. Taste the meat, not the heat as they say in SF.

But then again my buddy Hank sells propane and propane accesories.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Smokey here , used it a couple times already this week. Food sure tastes better from it, compared to the gas grill.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I got charcoal, smoker, and gas. Any one of them beats hell out of an indoor stove. Use the hell out of them all, depending on time, conditions and circumstance.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We usually use the propane grill, the smoke hadn't been used in over a year. Was a nice change, somethings I do prefer on the gas grill.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Bought a big charcoal grill/smoker this year.

First time for charcoal in almost 30 years.

Won't be going back to gas.

Doug
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Traeger pellet grill, not quite as fast as propane but the wood flavor is just like charcoal. I liked it so well I started selling them. You can get a bunch of different wood pellets, for a little different flavor. No flare ups and the meat comes out so juicy you darn near need a bib when you eat. The heat is circulated like a convection oven so you don't even have to turn the meat when cooking. Try one!
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Have been using smoker grills for years, Weber's to Texas (Red River) style that I use today,ten minutes with electric starter and you are ready to cook in a half hour over nice hot charcoal coals.
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by arraflipper
    I love my Traeger pellet grill, not quite as fast as propane but the wood flavor is just like charcoal. I liked it so well I started selling them. You can get a bunch of different wood pellets, for a little different flavor. No flare ups and the meat comes out so juicy you darn near need a bib when you eat. The heat is circulated like a convection oven so you don't even have to turn the meat when cooking. Try one!

+1 love my pellet grill.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Are small packages of pellets of various woods available to use for flavoring in a charcoal grill ??

Thank you.

Doug
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nbs.jpg

I'm firing this bad boy up tomorrow with couple of hickory logs and a nice pork shoulder.

mmmm
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:CaptFun Posted - 05/29/2009 : 11:04:16 AM

Now those are what I call a grill.But Im saving my money for thr big Flee markets coming up. Ive only got a Gas grill at the cabin, I would like to have a Hickory smoker over there too.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    charcoal works just fine for smoking, i use a old hair/blow dryer to keep the heat right where i want it works like a charm

{buy the wife a new one first or buy a cheap one trust me on this}
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    I got charcoal, smoker, and gas. Any one of them beats hell out of an indoor stove. Use the hell out of them all, depending on time, conditions and circumstance.

+100
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    nbs.jpg

I'm firing this bad boy up tomorrow with couple of hickory logs and a nice pork shoulder.

mmmm

Got 1 parked out back, don't/ won't use anything but.
    Gas makes water vapor as it burns, and tastes lust like the "FART SMELL" they put in the gas, so u can smell a leak. USELESS for cookin'!![xx(]
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pellets are in twenty pound bags. I would think you could put some on with you charcoal for more wood flavor. They would burn pretty fast I think, since when you start the grill it only takes a few minutes to be hot enough to grill. You can smoke with the the Traeger grills also.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    nbs.jpg

mmmm

I got gas, well it's actually the wife's, but.........
    My best bud, lives across the road has one very similar to that. 1/2 gas. 1/2 charcoal with a smoker box on the end. Any luck tomorrow morning and we'll be having grilled tenderloin, smoked fresh salmon and venison mushroom&swiss brats for dinner![}:)][:p][:D]
  • Tom Lee ATom Lee A Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Green Egg is by far the best I have ever used. Go their website for more info that you ever dreamed was out there.
  • anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ONLY advantage in a gas grill is how quickly it heats up. Nothing matches the flavor of charcoal and or hickory. Period. Been doin this for nearly 30 years and have tried it all.
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I had a grill just like that one. The silver smoker by charbroil i believe. I smoked ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and used it a couple times a week to make chicken breast while i was trying to lose weight. I loved that grill. Left it outside, uncovered for 4 years...sanded it down and repainted it and still works perfectly. Looks like it's been through hell..but cooks like a champ.

Chiminey style charcoal starter works like a dream. A couple pages of newspaper and coals are burning like an afterburner on a jet in 10-15 minutes.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pikeal1
    I had a grill just like that one. The silver smoker by charbroil i believe. I smoked ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and used it a couple times a week to make chicken breast while i was trying to lose weight. I loved that grill. Left it outside, uncovered for 4 years...sanded it down and repainted it and still works perfectly. Looks like it's been through hell..but cooks like a champ.

Chiminey style charcoal starter works like a dream. A couple pages of newspaper and coals are burning like an afterburner on a jet in 10-15 minutes.

I use the chimney starter and paper curls from the shredder, only takes a handful. Hardwood lump charcoal is also 1000 times better than that kingsford stuff. I'll have hot coals in 5 minutes. This weekend we did a shoulder all day ,lit some charcoal and put it in the firebox, then put the meat on the far end. Put it on about 10am and adjusted the heat to about 225?F. Once the coals started to die down I gave it a hickory log and a little more charcoal, that kept it going till Supper time. Came out perfect.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys KILL me with the info they retain.....It has to be a guy thing! We have a grill. There are a couple of them out there. One is a huge silver things that uses tanks and the other is a dinky pan type thing that will hold briquettes. I have NO IDEA who made either of them. I have seen the green egg thing on commercials and thought it looked pretty cool. The rest is a mystery.

Guy things.... Grills, big toolboxes, pocketknives, flashlights, fire starting techniques, name that car by sound alone, how can I replace this remote with a different remote, movies that go BOOM and the popular "fill my pockets with change and trinkets" game.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a big green egg.Rather expensive but the best of all the smokers i've tried and thats been a bunch.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a smoker about 5 years ago. Fired it up in the back yard after lunch time w/ a nice sized beef roast. Everything went great. I was cooking at a very low heat and after 4 hours or so this thing really started to smell great. Unfortunately my 2 Bull Mastiffs thought the same, knocked it over, grabed the beef and had one hell on a dinner. I was so mad that I boxed it back up (only 2 days old) and gave it to a pal. I'm about ready to try again.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.